What's new

Re-plating a Micromatic?

I have fallen in love with the shaves I get from my SEs, particularly my MMOC and Clog-Pruf, and was thinking about getting the CP re-plated. Aside from the brass showing through on the handle, I've noticed that some of the pitting (although there is very little) resembles pitting you see on pot metal. So what metal are the handles made from, and can they be re-plated? Have any of you re-plated on of these before?

The availability and low pricing of these razors make it pretty hard to justify the cost of replating. However, since the plating from the factory on all of these MicroMatics is so thin and fragile I could see a loyal fan doing it. My biggest concern would be the shaft on the twist to open mechanism and the tab on the back of the head responsible for opening and closing the cap might both have tolerances too tight to allow a new coating to last long or still function properly with the thicker coating applied. As to your question of materials used in manufacture I couldn't tell you for sure, but I would be surprised if its not brass.

Brass, because my 2 cents tell me another version is made of brass. It seems no need to complicate manufacturing process for the chrome one.

I agree with Dave. You can get a good Micromatic for a low price. I had a shoddy OCMM and was able to get another one for a low price in great shape that included the case.

Well I have narrowed my current "favorite" safety razor down to either the CP or MMOC. The MMOC is in great shape, but the CP has a lot of plate loss. And since I only paid $3 for it, case included, I figured I could splurge on having it re-plated. I'm thinking about thinning the heard, so to speak, and I would like my keepers to look their best. I know most people don't care about the looks, but it's just a pet peeve of mine. I was just concerned about the material due to the wear and the fact that I haven't seen any posts about replaying the MMs. Thanks for the help.

I haven't used them but Krona Kruisers plates SEs in nickel for $18

EDIT: I was wrong $18 is for the blade banks. $26 is for SE razors.

Last edited:
I haven't used them but Krona Kruisers plates SEs in nickel for $18

He did tell me he could do it, but he quoted me a little more than $18, lol. Either way, I've already got one of his replates so I know he does great work. I'm just going to send it to him and let him work his magic.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you just want one replated. It's easy enough to get a nice one of either type for not too much money.

I agree with everybody saying buy another one - it is what I would do - but having a freshly plated razor for under $40 still isn't a bad deal for something your going to keep. If you plan on selling the razor in the future, I think it will be difficult to recoup your expense. There are just too many of them - a lot of nice ones too - in the $10 range.

-jim

I say go for the replating. You are wanting not only a great performing razor, but one that looks great too. It's not about whether or not you could buy a decent looking one, or being able to make money off it. It's about being able to have a tool that looks as good as it performs, and will last you a lifetime. I have been thinking about doing this myself.

I say go for the replating. You are wanting not only a great performing razor, but one that looks great too. It's not about whether or not you could buy a decent looking one, or being able to make money off it. It's about being able to have a tool that looks as good as it performs, and will last you a lifetime. I have been thinking about doing this myself.

Exactly. I've got two that look about as good as a 70 year old razor can. This one, however, is basically two-tone due to the plate loss. But even after the re-plating, I'll have less than $30 in it. Plus, it will then look as wonderful as it shaves. So it's off to Krona.

I agree that replating is the way to go here. There are a lot of Micromatics out there.... but very little with the original plating in tact.

Ben

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Pride of ownership is a good thing. The original gold plating is very thin; one of 3 I have is 100% in a case for very little money. I do see some chrome plated examples on Ebay occasionally that are 100% if anybody wants to look. Chrome is much harder; See "Restored Razor" website for a list of hardness of various platings, Dave is a member of B&B.

Top Bottom