What's new

Post Mardis Gras Restraint Until Easter

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet!! That truly was the original spirit of Mardis Gras. That's because the dominant religion in the culture that brought us Mardis Gras (Fat Tuesday) imposed dietary restrictions on Wednesday which would be lifted on Easter Sunday.

People of that religious persuasion don't face quite the same dietary restrictions that they used to, but in modern times observers also give up an action (at least temporarily) of theirs considered to be a vice, add something that is considered to be a positive habit, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations. Sounds like a season that kind of sort of fits with a restraint thread, doesn't it?

For the past couple of years I have used disposable razors, cartridges, and canned goo left over from before I started traditional wet shaving. Who's with me this year?

Possible actions that one could take in conjunction with this thread include but are not limited to:
  • Committing to using up something you have on hand.
  • Committing to developing a new habit.
  • Break an old habit, such as over indulging in BST.
  • Becoming a B&B contributor.
  • Contributing to one of the other charities that B&B promotes.

Unlike other restraint threads, there is no one strike and you are out. If you commit to 3017'ing that soap but forget and use something else, just reflect upon your failings and get back to what you committed to doing. If you commit yourself to a purchase sabbatical but splurge any, same deal. Just get back to it.

So who's willing to have a shaving component to their Lenten season?

I have an order posted for Mama Bear Soaps since I didn't get any for Valentines Day so that is my Mardi Gras present to myself. I will be limiting my time on B&B and using the time for reflection. May the Lenten Season be a meaningful time for all.

While not directly shave related, I'm giving up drinking for lent. I'll also try to use up some of my less favorite soaps during lent.

OK, so we have a few of us on board. Usually restraint threads do a little better than this, but perhaps the religious aspect of it (which I tried to soft pedal) may have turned a few folks away. Not a lot of people have shaken out of the big 2014 purchase sabbatical, so maybe a spring restraint thread doesn't have many people to join.

This is the third year that I'm going back to cartridges and disposable razors for the duration of Lent or until I run out, which at this rate will be a few years.

This is the second year I'm trying to use up the last of the canned goo that I have on hand. If it doesn't last I think a puck of Williams will replace sack cloth and ashes just fine.

I saw Mr5x5's mention of limiting my time on the forum and that sounds like something that would be good for me to do as well.

No more soap purchases: I'll somehow have to get by with just 35 or so. Say a prayer for me.

I'll sign up for this too. I don't have 35, but I do have enough to last me for a few years at least. I've got brand new tubs of CF Lime, MWF, and about 6 different Razorock soaps (not to mention 20 or so samples from Garry) so this should be too hard.

The only thing that will make this unbearable is if XXXt comes back before Easter...

I'm in. I made the commitment to not buy anything for myself for Lent as well as dropping junk/fast food and soda. (Trying to lose weight)

I'm in too. Absolutely no more shaving purchases during Lent as well as no beer purchases. It's great to see others on this site who are also show restraint during this time of the year.

Unfortunately I had a drawer full of store brand cartridges when I converted to DE and they last forever this time of year because I'm only trimming around my beard between Thanksgiving and Easter. I've also learned how little canned goo I really need to shave with. I may finish off one of the cans of goo this year, but the cartridges are going to last another few years.

BTW - I'm not going out any buying more modern shaving system stuff if I run out. I'm only committing to using what I have for as long as it lasts or until Easter, whichever comes first.

I am abstaining from all shave related purchases, no beef, and no alcohol....but I will NOT give up bananas!

It's been hard to resist so far! I've passed up BST deals on MdC and 20% off on LASS. Going to be a long wait till Easter . I didn't say anything about colognes though... Here comes the Terre d'Hermes!

I've been doing OK with my shave related goals and the standard dietary restrictions. Not doing nearly as well with diet shakes instead of the two smaller meals each day.

Top Bottom