What's new

Brown Leaf Discussion for March: What is your preferred Cutter/Cut?

I've used every type of cutter except for a scissors and I currently own the following: Xikar Xi2, 007 Punch and Vx V-Cut, Palio and 2 Colibri Grips (Free with CI Order).

As been said earlier 1 cutter generally can't be used in all situations since a punch won't work on torpedo/belicoso shaped cigars and guillotine and V cutters have issues with large ring gauges (60+).

I started out using a Punch Cutter almost exclusively has was almost impossible to mess up the cap. There is a design flaw with the Xikar 007 punch in that it has a tendency to unscrew itself if you carry it in your pocket and if you drop it it will almost be open and hit the ground on the cutting edge so the edge will be dinged up which will cause it not to cut properly. But it still is the only cutter available for large gauge cigars. I have some 7x70 Gran Habanos that I will have to use the punch on (will punch in a cloverleaf pattern).

My next favorite is the Xikar Vx. Again it is almost impossible to mess up the cap and you get a good open draw with most sticks and you really don't have to deal with the tobacco fuzzies like you do with the guillotine cutters.

I don't seem to get very clean cuts with guillotine type cutters. I probably just need to practice more, maybe I'm not applying enough downward pressure when I am cutting. Right now I only use them on Torpedeo/belicoso type cigars.

A razor sharp knife, or a straight razor you don't particularly care for, and the "Dickman" cut. It's a real thing, look it up, just be careful doing so.

I've grown very fond of the punch cut, especially for ring gauges under ~56 or so. I find that it keeps stray bits of tobacco out of my mouth and provides for a good draw. Torpedoes and big ring gauges get hit with my nat sherman double guillotine cutter or one of several colibri grip cutters that I have (free with CI orders). I don't like the colibri grip cutters tho, as the design provides uneven pressure, and therefore an uneven cut, thru the cross section of the cigar. I need to get a good double guillotine cutter and I will be all set.

You can name almost any style of cutter, I probably have one, v/xikar/shuriken/double guilliotine/punch. I like gadgets. I use whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

I have a couple cheap guillotines and a cheap punch. I pretty much use whatever I can find first. One of the guillotines hang on a nail in the garage so that's probably used the most.

I've grown very fond of the punch cut, especially for ring gauges under ~56 or so. I find that it keeps stray bits of tobacco out of my mouth and provides for a good draw. Torpedoes and big ring gauges get hit with my nat sherman double guillotine cutter or one of several colibri grip cutters that I have (free with CI orders). I don't like the colibri grip cutters tho, as the design provides uneven pressure, and therefore an uneven cut, thru the cross section of the cigar. I need to get a good double guillotine cutter and I will be all set.

You should join the montecristo social club its completely free and you receive a free gift that is a large punch shaped like a key. I am a member and a few of my friends also are and we all enjoy the free gift. check it out at www.montecristosocialclub.com

You should join the montecristo social club its completely free and you receive a free gift that is a large punch shaped like a key. I am a member and a few of my friends also are and we all enjoy the free gift. check it out at www.montecristosocialclub.com

Negative. They replaced the punch with a Montecristo chrome embossed business card holder. I would have preferred the punch, but the business card case is quite a nice one, heavy and well-constructed.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hands down the best cutter on the market in my opinion. I have so many different blades, v-cutters, punches, palios, scissors, you name it but my Xi2 wins almost every time.
The only Xikar product I own is the Pipeline lighter. If their cutters are the same quality I may end up buying one.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The Xi cutter was Xikar's original product. The design is solid, and the warranty is on par with what Craftsman Tools used to be.

When I hear "guillotine cutter" I think of single blade cutters. I find those to have inadequate cutting surface and sometimes smash the cap against the non cutting side which never turns out well... Some cigars I've smoked with a punch build up tar really quick near the mouth. If you think about it, you're funneling all the smoke right through that tip. Granted, this effect isn't that bad with smaller ring gauges, but I like something with more versatility. I received a Xikar Xi2 as a gift and it's brilliant. Especially if you use it how they were designed - by laying it on a table, dropping the cap in vertical, and cutting - you'll end up with a perfectly cut cigar.

Top Bottom