What's new

Brown Leaf Discussion for March: What is your preferred Cutter/Cut?

I don't smoke a lot of cigars, but I have a guillotine cutter.

Someone learn me on the punch cutters ( is that what they're called ) ? Is there an advantage to different types of cutters?

I'll let others chime in, but feel free to post photos of your cutters. I have a cheapo cutter made of black plastic.

I don't smoke many cigars but I have a cheap-o guillotine cutter which I need to remedy. I have a gifted punch which I haven't used yet. Honestly, most cigars I smoke I take a sharp pocket knife and carve an "X" into the cap, I read somewhere that it is supposed to simulate the effect of a punch and I think it works well if I don't dwell on it too much.

I'm a terrible steward, I know...:a36:

I don't smoke many cigars but I have a cheap-o guillotine cutter which I need to remedy. I have a gifted punch which I haven't used yet. Honestly, most cigars I smoke I take a sharp pocket knife and carve an "X" into the cap, I read somewhere that it is supposed to simulate the effect of a punch and I think it works well if I don't dwell on it too much.

I'm a terrible steward, I know...:a36:

Nah, just an honest one.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have 2 Xikar Xi2s. The second was to replace the first which I lost, but latter found. I sent them both in last year as the blades were starting to not cut as well after 7 years or so, and Xikar replaced them with 2 brand new ones of the same kind. I do like a V cut, but have only had inexpensive plastic cutters.

I usually enjoy ribbon cuts but lately I've started to enjoy cube cut as well. Flakes are also some of my favorite cuts :tongue_sm

Andrew wins the thread! (so far) :biggrin1:

$are-you-not-entertained.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I prefer the cigar punch. But maybe I'm just crazy....some cigars I've smoked just didn't smoke right with a punch hole. I think some cigars like the full cut.

Perhaps it has to do with how tightly they are rolled/packed?

I do a straight cut with my xikar x1 or with my desktop cutter mostly. After a straight is the V and punch is the last one of for me, I have all xikar cutters except for my desktop.

I don't cigar often enough to have more than the cheapo plastic guillotine, single blade... and now I have a PIF'd punch, which I haven't tried yet. I will say, I can see why the single blade cheap guillotine is less than ideal, since it often doesn't cut clean enough through. I think Ed's solution of a good sharp blade and an "X" cut into the cap is a better choice than an ugly cut by a cheap cutter.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have never tried this, and probably won't be smoking a cigars before the end of the month to report back so if someone wants to experiment let us know how it goes.

I have heard that if using a less than ideal cutter single blade cutter, cutting the cap through the cello wrapper will help prevent tearing the cigar's wrapper.

Also, this thread would not be complete without linking to thirdeye's excellent write up.

Gentlemen's Essentials - Part I: Cigar Cutting

In last month's thread, someone suggested to start this month's thread about cigar cutters.

Then when I saw "What is your preferred Cutter/Cut" the first thing that came to mind was the same idea as Senshi's. So on that note: I really like the unique granola-cut of Sir Walter Raleigh.

In last month's thread, someone suggested to start this month's thread about cigar cutters.

Then when I saw "What is your preferred Cutter/Cut" the first thing that came to mind was the same idea as Senshi's. So on that note: I really like the unique granola-cut of Sir Walter Raleigh.

Granola cut? I get the SWR aro all the time, and I thought it more of a ribbon.. in culinary terms, the leaf looks like it was cut chiffonade style.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I usually enjoy ribbon cuts but lately I've started to enjoy cube cut as well. Flakes are also some of my favorite cuts :tongue_sm
I like the way you think.

I've got a $2 punch I bought on a whim the last time I was at the tobacco shop. It hasn't worked well so far, but I'm not inclined to buy a good cutter because I don't smoke cigars that often. The same reason I don't have a humidor. I've also done the x-cut. That works good for me.

Xikar cutter for me. I had a bunch of cheapos but they are all terrible compared to the xikar. Cigars are too pricey to ruin with a bad cutter.

Top Bottom