What's new

Ties & shirts.

When paring a tie with a shirt, what is the up to date protocol in matching stripes and squares with ties that have stripes or busy patterns. I have seen men use combinations that I thought clashed or did not go together. I always thought that if my shirt had stripes or a squares my tie was more or less plain or the pattern was not as busy or dominant (hope that makes sense). My daughters say I'm to old fashioned and can combine stripes and patterns with most any shirt. I can't see it. Am I that out of step with to days fashion?

I've gotten called out by my more traditional male colleagues on my mix/match only to have the fasionable females compliment me... my wife loves my styling typically and has no issue, but not everything mixes and matches by contrast...

I think the general rule of thumb is that if the tie has a busy pattern, the shirt needs to have a subtle one. If the shirt has a busy pattern, the tie should have a subtle one. That being said, I can't do the matching myself. I usually work with 2 salespeople I trust at a local store. If you don't know a trusty salesperson, bring your daughters along to help (but not on a day they're angry with you)

I've gotten called out by my more traditional male colleagues on my mix/match only to have the fasionable females compliment me... my wife loves my styling typically and has no issue, but not everything mixes and matches by contrast...

Sometimes a compliment doesn't always mean that it's a "good" look. It's not a hard or fast rule, but someone saying "Hey I like that tie", or "Hey I like that shirt" doesn't mean as much as "You look dapper today" or "That suit fits really well". A lot of people will focus on a particular item and compliment, without really knowing what they're talking about. This leads to stuff like "black shirt, red/white tie" being something a lot of people think "looks good" but it really doesn't. Your shirt, tie, and jacket are supposed to draw your eye up to the face. Having too many busy patterns makes people look at your clothing, not you.

Sometimes a compliment doesn't always mean that it's a "good" look. It's not a hard or fast rule, but someone saying "Hey I like that tie", or "Hey I like that shirt" doesn't mean as much as "You look dapper today" or "That suit fits really well". A lot of people will focus on a particular item and compliment, without really knowing what they're talking about. This leads to stuff like "black shirt, red/white tie" being something a lot of people think "looks good" but it really doesn't. Your shirt, tie, and jacket are supposed to draw your eye up to the face. Having too many busy patterns makes people look at your clothing, not you.

Never thought of it that way. I think your right.

again, YMMV.. depends on the environs and you are totally right, but my wife would never let me leave the house looking like what we are describing...

and usually the guys making the comments haven't a clue.. IMHO...

I can typically guess what's what coming from who... as far as who knows what they are talking about, that's a hard nut to crack as far as conversations of sartorial legitimacy..

My daughters call me boring, because I wear generally solid shirts, and some stripes, wide pin and some that are close together so almost like a solid.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like to purchase the shirt and tie at the same time so there is a perfect color match between the dominant color of the shirt and an accent color on the tie. This is usually easier if both are from the same manufacturer, but that's not necessary.

I have seen so truly horrendous combinations on TV lately. Checks are tough. I think there needs to be a contrast, with the smaller checks on the shirt. It can also help if there is a contrast in the materials. One certainly needs to be considerably less busy.

Things (colors, patterns) that almost match don't belong together, in my book.

Women are almost always better at this stuff. When in doubt my first move is to ask SWMBO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
With checks and stripes, you need to make sure that the shirt and tie patterns are of differing proportions. Wide stripes on the shirt call for narrow/close stripes on the tie and vice versa. If your suit is striped as well, then you have to make sure that all three are noticeably different in breadth & spacing of stripes ("stripes" should be read to include any straight lines, including checks, tartans, gingham, and the like.)

Example #1:

proxy.php

this was offered by one internet chap as an example of "what to do" ... but IMHO he's got it wrong. See how similar in width and spacing the shirt lines are compared to the tie lines? One must avoid that.

Example #2:

proxy.php

Really clear example of how narrow, close stripes on a shirt are nicely contrasted with thick, bold stripes on a tie.

Example #3:

Again, stripes on the shirt are too close in spacing, but this time to stripes on the suit.

proxy.php

Oh, and it's not just stripes and checks that are stripes ... it's also dots and other small repeating patterns. The eye is tempted to "connect the dots" to make lines, so bear that in mind:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I would not have done #2, I would have had a solid shirt, but I can change and do that. Change is good.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would not have done #2, I would have had a solid shirt, but I can change and do that. Change is good.

Nothing wrong with going with a solid there ... I was assuming you wanted to wear stripes on both shirt and tie.

Personally, I never clash patterns to such an extent. Just looks odd in my eye. I think that a lot of peoples are these days as it is a way for a more fashion forward person to dress slightly differently. Probably a passing fad, abet a small one. If it looks off to you, don't bother. Anything with stronger contrasts, (as the Doc pointed out) can work, too similar colors or patterns look odd imo.

Nothing wrong with going with a solid there ... I was assuming you wanted to wear stripes on both shirt and tie.

Yes are right. I would not have done it in the past (last week), but with your example I see that it works. This oldish dog can learn new tricks.

Top Bottom