What's new

2nd hand shirts

Hi
I've bought a couple of second hand shirts from eBay. Just wondering when they arrive will it be OK to just chuck them through the washing machine or would you suggest another way of cleaning them?
Thanks

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IF they can't be cleaned by a run through the washing machine, then send them back.

Read the tag and clean as instructed.

If you're talking about something special because they're used, nope. Just wash them per usual.

I think I understand where you are coming from, but I believe a normal wash should suffice. Remember that our skin is what protects us from the nasties found in the environment.

Just think about taking public transportation; whether that is a bus, airplane, subway, or taxi and what kind of stuff one is sitting on. Have you ever noticed how many people will sit their luggage, briefcase, backpack down on the floor and then onto a seat? Have you seen a public restroom after a few hours? Imagine how that stuff is tracked back out onto the floor where the backpack will rest and then the seat, etc. Okay, I may be taking this too far but my point is I think we should not be germaphobic because we can not really escape the nasties no matter what we try.

But I do think one should wash an unknown garment in as hot of water as it can stand without damaging the fabric or color before its first wearing.

I too have purchased a couple gittman bro & Turnbull & asser on the bay. I sent them to the laundry. You can get by either way. I just tell my guy that I bought the used & do whatever you need to do. Makes me feel better but is it necessary, who knows, I probably wasted my money.

I buy most of my shirts at Sally Ann, most are new or near new. Everything goes in the washing machine.

Top Bottom