What's new

Easy Dutch Oven Cobbler

OK - There are hundreds of cobbler recipies out there. I did this one last weekend with my Scouts (I'm Scoutmaster) and all hands gave it two thumbs up.

1 stick butter - melt in Dutch oven

2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1 cup milk - mix together in gallon Ziploc bag (I never use bowls if I can avoid it, less to clean up)

Dump batter over melted butter

add in pound of frozen peaches and I also added some frozen blackberries

sprinkle with cinnamon

bake in Dutch Oven for 45-60 minutes with 12-15 charcoal on bottom and like # on top.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use aluminum liners to obviate need for clean-up. Use a trivet or small rocks under the pan to allow air circulation and prevent bottom from burning.

I absolutely LOVE Dutch Oven cooking. :001_wub::eek2:
If I had a balcony or a garden I whould use mine everyday.

Nice recipe.

Dries

My troop did something similar when I was a scout (20+ years ago) but instead of frozen, we used cans... found that the syrup in the cans helped keep the rest extra moist. There were never any leftovers. We had it down to a science, too - pre-mixed all the dry ingredients during the weekly meeting before the campout, so that all we had to do was add milk (if dehydrated milk wasn't used), egg and butter... wrote on each baggie what was needed, times, etc. with a sharpie. Made for quick and easy backpacking, too, especially if we used dried fruits with a little extra water instead of the syrup.

Thanks for the recipe, it's inspired me to dig out the D.O. for dessert tonight!

You took Dutch-ovens backpacking? That is hardcore! I really got my troop into Dutch oven cooking when I was a scoutmaster; they really got into cooking cobblers and lasagna.

No... we were hardcore, but not THAT hardcore! I meant the process of packing the materials into baggies made for easy backpacking. We then made the cobbler with our backpack stoves in a sierra cup or small pot. On the trail, it was magic in a cup.

Top Bottom