What's new

Turn your iphone into (almost) a camera

Sony has developed a Bluetooth lens that interfaces with smartphones.

The camera looks like a snap-on lens, but it is actually a fully self-contained camera that simply lacks any buttons or switches or displays.
It has a 1/4-20 thread so it can be mounted to a monopod and held up above a crowd.
Full 10x optical zoom (about 200mm equivalent).

The internals... zoom, etc... are controlled by the smartphone app. Available for IOS and Android.

http://store.sony.com/smartphone-at...=b&011=sony smartphone camera&020=25486445616

$250....

Legion

Staff member
Yes, they also have another which has a 1" sensor, the same as their RX100. It is kind of bulky... I never really saw the point, as it is round, and takes up about the same space in the pocket as a small compact with a zoom. Interesting idea though.

I'd be more interested if Apple introduced their own RAW file format. But TIFF in this app is a pretty good substitute. I haven't played with it much, still working it out, but it is a big step forward from the basic camera app.

Too bad it costs 3.99. I'd love to play with it, but I don't fo much other than snapshots with my iPhone. Plus everyone knows 6x7 is better than 6x4.5 ;-)

Legion

Staff member
Hey, it cost me $4.50 here! :biggrin1:

If it only gets me one good shot when all I have is my phone on me, money well spent.

Cool, if you get it post some pics and a review after you use it for a while. All of the other camera apps have left something to be desired for me.

I went the other way and looked for post processing apps, I found Athentech Perfectly Clear for $2.99. This does all the major adjustment in one touch, I have even seen it leave good pictures alone. It also allows you to tweak it if you're looking for a specific style. No filters for funky stuff, no huge swings in the adjustments which can be hard to fine tune, excellent for batch processing. The company started out as a plug in for Photoshop then developed the mobile apps. Quite pleased with this one on my Galaxy S4.

-Xander

I went ahead and picked up this app. It is by far the most robust camera app I've ever used on a phone. Inherent limitations aside (cannot really pick shutter speed and apeture, but thats on any camera app), this is awesome.

It really puts the creativity up front at the capture stage instead of an app where you get to edit your pictures. Its set up more like an actual camera (film camera at that) would be used.

Some of my favorite features so far
-tiff capture
-film modes - will simulate a few classic color an B&W emulsions.
-filters - not your lomo instagram filters. "real" photographic filters. Color correction filters for color, contrast filters for B&W, ND filters and even gradient filters for getting exposure right on those pesky sunset pics. From the limited amount of testing I did, red, blue, green, orange and yellow filters do what you would expect them to do on B&W film when you are in a B&W film mode. For example, the red filter turned up to 100% turned my red shirt almost white.

-backs - this is just pretty cool. You can choose several sizes to shoot in, all based off of medium format cameras. 645, 6x7, 6x9 etc.

-they also put a wealth of info at your fingertips that doesn't crowd the screen.

I was a bit hesitant at the price (its an iPhone app for goodness sake!). If you do a lot of photography with your phone, I think it will be well worth the price.

Great to hear. I still haven't given it much use. I'm going to a wedding in Virginia this weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to put it through its paces. Any tips/tricks you'd like to share. This app is so feature packed I feel like it would be easy to miss something.

No, just play with it for a while and you'll get the hang of it. There's a user manual in the app, in case you haven't found it. Also, it's not the fastest focusing app, so I don't use it for fast moving subjects. I even stopped using the Tiff mode because the Jpegs are good enough. I did blow up a Tiff that I processed in Lightroom to 11x14 and it looked great.

Pretty darn good to me. Just playing around with an awesome view. I really prefer the workflow of this app compared to post processing apps like Snapseed (which go have and use as well). I can envision a shot as I compose and shoot as opposed to shooting a crappy pic and trying to fix it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403401135.100639.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403400967.301605.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403401004.050660.jpg

The first and last I used the gradient ND filter feature to make the sky not blow out. The middle picture was taken with the HP5+ film mode and a red filter at 100% for better contrast in the bright afternoon sky.

I went ahead and picked up this app. It is by far the most robust camera app I've ever used on a phone. Inherent limitations aside (cannot really pick shutter speed and apeture, but thats on any camera app), this is awesome.

It really puts the creativity up front at the capture stage instead of an app where you get to edit your pictures. Its set up more like an actual camera (film camera at that) would be used.

Some of my favorite features so far
-tiff capture
-film modes - will simulate a few classic color an B&W emulsions.
-filters - not your lomo instagram filters. "real" photographic filters. Color correction filters for color, contrast filters for B&W, ND filters and even gradient filters for getting exposure right on those pesky sunset pics. From the limited amount of testing I did, red, blue, green, orange and yellow filters do what you would expect them to do on B&W film when you are in a B&W film mode. For example, the red filter turned up to 100% turned my red shirt almost white.

-backs - this is just pretty cool. You can choose several sizes to shoot in, all based off of medium format cameras. 645, 6x7, 6x9 etc.

-they also put a wealth of info at your fingertips that doesn't crowd the screen.

I was a bit hesitant at the price (its an iPhone app for goodness sake!). If you do a lot of photography with your phone, I think it will be well worth the price.

What app is "this app"?

Top Bottom