What's new

Eclipse Red Ring - Anyone ever repaint the ring?

Well I recently won this cased Eclipse Red Ring auction on eBay ($199 - who says there are no good deals to be had on eBay anymore?) but the paint from the Red Ring has worn off and I would like to repaint it.

Has anyone ever attempted this or know what type of paint would be best?

Is there an explanation as to why we see more Eclipses with the Red Ring worn off than intact, when the paint is between the knobs and isn't even being touched by fingers? Perhaps since they went big with the chrome plating, they cheap'd out on the paint. :biggrin1:

Appreciate any help.

$eclipse 1.jpg$eclipse 2.jpg

Soem of these razors never had the red ring to begin with so this may be one of that variant. Strange that with the name "Red Ring" there was no red ring, but such is reality. Great score & I hope you enjoy this rarely seen set. Congratulations on a great pickup. I've never tried painting the ring. I'm sure it's very doable.

Jake,

Thank you. I had heard that before, but I had just dismissed it as I thought they would have not named it that way without the ring. Do we have any evidence of the ring never being painted on? I managed to find pics of a NOS set, but it did have the ring. I would assume it was the early sets?

kcb: either that, or like Jake says - some never even had the ring.

Some came with red paint, some didn't. Also, some came with logo on the head, some didn't. I can't find the reference links but I remember a recent (past couple of months) thread on this topic and someone had more details of the various options that were made in the '30's.

In any event, a super razor.

Wow Ace, congrats are in order! Nice win. A member was kind enough to loan me one and that was an eye opener. Ace I wish you best.:beer:

Thanks Mike,

I will look for the thread - if anyone has anymore info on Eclipse models please post.

From Dave B&B/Onotoman:
Yes, the chrome case was the 'De Luxe model' in fact, the razors in all offerings were identical and only the presentation and number of blades differed (as can be seen in the Punch Ad).

With regards the razors, I have come across the following models:

Early - 1933 - Silver Plated 3 Piece with embossed logo in head top (no painted Red Ring)
Mid 1 - 1934 to 1936 - Silver plated handle, Chrome Head 3 Piece with Embossed logo (no painted Red Ring)
Mid 2 - 1936 to around 1939 - Chrome Plated Two Piece (TTO Knob pinned into handle tube) Embossed Logo (Painted Red Ring)
Late - 1940 - Chrome Plated, Two Piece, No Embossed Logo, Painted Red Ring

Dates may not be exact as I've collated them from Adverts - no ads seem to exist that actually specify silver plating and 3 piece but I've seen these silver and part silver plated 3 piece examples in the wild (sent to me for restoration)

Last edited by onotoman; 12-16-2013 at 05:25 AM.

here is a nice link from Jake and others http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-got-eclipsed-here?highlight=Eclipse+red+ring

From Dave B&B/Onotoman:
Yes, the chrome case was the 'De Luxe model' in fact, the razors in all offerings were identical and only the presentation and number of blades differed (as can be seen in the Punch Ad).

Early - 1933 - Silver Plated 3 Piece with embossed logo in head top (no painted Red Ring)
Mid 1 - 1934 to 1936 - Silver plated handle, Chrome Head 3 Piece with Embossed logo (no painted Red Ring)
Mid 2 - 1936 to around 1939 - Chrome Plated Two Piece (TTO Knob pinned into handle tube) Embossed Logo (Painted Red Ring)

Dates may not be exact as I've collated them from Adverts - no ads seem to exist that actually specify silver plating and 3 piece but I've seen these silver and part silver plated 3 piece examples in the wild (sent to me for restoration)

here is a nice link from Jake and others http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-got-eclipsed-here?highlight=Eclipse+red+ring

You're the man Alex, thanks!

Damn... So for half the run, they didn't even bother... That is really interesting.

From Dave B&B/Onotoman:

I'm going to use mine this am for the first time and I was looking closely at it and it doesn't fit into any of Dave's 4 groups.

Mine is a 2 piece with no evidence of a red ring; not sure of plating metals. This link: http://shavenook.com/thread-eclipse-red-ring-the-british-thoroughbred

shows one just like mine and it came in the dark red bakelite box.

Just finished shaving with the eclipse and it's been one of my smoothest shaves yet! Better than red tip (US or UK); similar to Big Boy DeLuxe (Gold).

Ace: is your a 2 piece or 3 piece? If it's a 2 piece, it and the box look exactly like mine. I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:
Why attempt to paint it? Appears half weren't and looks great without the paint. Could anyone possibly not think it is an Eclipse Red Ring?

This is actually my second Red Ring. My idea to repaint it was to restore it before I knew that many were unpainted.

My first one came in a two piece bakelite case and fits this description:

I have not received my new one yet, but I know it has no logo on the head and no red ring which doesn't actually fit any of the descriptions above as the one with no embossed logo has a painted ring.

Thanks Alex, you've saved me some typing :)

If the razor doesn't have the embossed logo on the head top piece then it would have had a Red Ring painted into the groove. To paint this in, I place masking tape above and below, just leaving the groove visible, then with small brush paint around the groove with something like Humbrol Red Enamel paint.

Thanks Alex, you've saved me some typing :)

If the razor doesn't have the embossed logo on the head top piece then it would have had a Red Ring painted into the groove. To paint this in, I place masking tape above and below, just leaving the groove visible, then with small brush paint around the groove with something like Humbrol Red Enamel paint.

I appreciate the info. Thanks a lot.

Humbrol may be hard to find in the USA. I've had great luck with Testors paint on my Fatboy. Go to a hobby shop, they have very small brushes and some small foam tipped brushes that will work great!

Good advice Sunflake and yes, any good quality enamel paint will be fine. That said (written), the paint used originally wasn't the best - just a very thin coat of standard red paint was used - the underlying chrome still being visible through the paint, so it looked more like anodising than paint, but it was paint that was used.

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just bought Eclipse Red ring. It is two piece with logo on the cap. Should be the model 1936-1939 as per [MENTION=8180]onotoman[/MENTION] post, but... no painted red ring. The razor is not replated. Confused a little about the ring. Thanks for any info.

Top Bottom