What's new

Method Shaving: I just don't get.

I've read about. I've seen a video by the guy who "invented" it. But I still don't really get it. Is this a way of having different ways of moving you blade on your face or wat i it?
:confused1

Dries

Do you mean the shave pattern, as in which areas those guys in the videos shave first, in which direction, etc? If that is what you mean, I don't really care how they shave, I shave how it works and feels right to me.

Do you mean the shave pattern, as in which areas those guys in the videos shave first, in which direction, etc? If that is what you mean, I don't really care how they shave, I shave how it works and feels right to me.

That's exactly what I mean!
I am not interested in using this method.
I just want to understand. You can always learn not?

Dries

In my opinion, the only thing there is to understand, is that everyone is different. Some guys shave half their face first, others shave the cheeks and neck and leave the upper lip for last, well you get the point... There is no "right" technique, and those guys in the videos didn't invent anything, as far as I know Man has been shaving for over 5000 years.
Just do whatever feels right for you.

i figured method shaving is more about done fast than done right. and since i don't have a Drill Instructor making me shave, i'd rather do it comfortable and right in 2-3 passes. rather than 4 passes in 3 forms, less comfortable for a Meh shave.

I've read about it too. It looks like a "one size fits all" approach to shaving. There's a series of videos on the Hydrolast website. Personally, it didn't look like anything I'd be interested in trying.

I started watching a video on it, but stopped halfway when he started pushing the hydrolast stuff. It may work, but it seems like an overly complicated way to run a razor across your face.

I watched a video on it and turned it off after about 3 minutes. It made no sense to me and I couldn't stand the self-aggrandizing from the founder.

Some folks simply need to get over themselves.

Frank

I'd never heard of this before, but just googled it due to the thread. What a crock! It looks like they're using this method shaving garbage as a way to sell you their special products. Like using an old burlap sack as a brush. lol

I've read a few threads on this guy (and watched the vids). Some guys from B&B have met him and IIRC, described him as intense, but enthusiastic and likeable. I believe the multiple strokes in the preset sequences are called "forms", or something similar.

In any case, if I shaved like he does, I'd be in the local emergency department getting a blood transfusion. There are some believers out there, though.

From what I've seen and read about here at B&B, his products are the slickest stuff around, and while he comes across as intense and shaves like an ocd monkey, his line of product holds up to the hype.

Method shaving is a fairly polarizing subject on the forum. The products themselves are supposed to be fantastic. I've never heard anyone say they didn't perform as advertised. As for the "method," it's full of made up terminology, looks incredibly messy and time consuming, and well, watch the videos and see for yourself. And no, Feathers are not "high capacity" or "high frequency" blades, the Merkur 34C was not made for method shaving, Head and Shoulders is a shampoo, not the physical portions of the lather in my brush, and slag is the waste product of metal smelting, not undeveloped lather coming off the soap.

The products do work. And, they can get messy. I use 'em with a synthetic brush in a bowl and that keeps neat and orderly. Yeah, the stuff is slippery as can be.

As to the rest, I'll leave that to others.

For those in disbelief about the methodology, you can check out Mantic's videos on youtube where he me-mystifies the whole thing. Done the way Mantic does it, it is far, far less manic a process.

. . . As for the "method," it's full of made up terminology, looks incredibly messy and time consuming, and well, watch the videos and see for yourself. And no, Feathers are not "high capacity" or "high frequency" blades, the Merkur 34C was not made for method shaving, Head and Shoulders is a shampoo, not the physical portions of the lather in my brush, and slag is the waste product of metal smelting, not undeveloped lather coming off the soap.

I agree. Since I'm a newly returned DE shaver who lives in Austin, I thought I'd check his shop out for supplies. But first I checked out his video and he lost me with his repeated erroneous insistence that traditional wet shavers have to run the razor parallel to their face or they'll injure themselves. While his method and products may work for some, it all started sounding like pseudo-scientific marketing hype to me, including his bizarre terminology when referring to the face, beard, lather, etc. Maybe it's done tongue-in-cheek, but it seems to nudge what should be a simple pleasure towards the realm of rocket science.

Last edited:
It may be worth checking out his shop. He sells a lot of products besides the hydrolast stuff. And while I have never met him myself, I have heard that he is actually pretty laid back, and doesn't try to push anything on you when you stop by. I think he just gets himself fired up about his products and methods. I probably would to if I thought I had something really good to share, although maybe not as intensely.

Yeah, emt88 you're probably right. By most accounts he sounds like a nice guy and I do like supporting local businesses when possible.

+1 on this post. As far as I can tell, the "method" is just an attempt at gross over-complication for a very simple task.

In my opinion, the only thing there is to understand, is that everyone is different. Some guys shave half their face first, others shave the cheeks and neck and leave the upper lip for last, well you get the point... There is no "right" technique, and those guys in the videos didn't invent anything, as far as I know Man has been shaving for over 5000 years.
Just do whatever feels right for you.

... as far as I know Man has been shaving for over 5000 years.

I don't think it's quite that long. But it's a whole lot longer than just last week.

The Romans prided themselves on having no facial hair, and usually plucked their "hair down there" too. At least the upper society did. From a lice control perspective it was smart. DDT wasn't coming around for 2000 more years.

I think the Egyptians did the same, so that's possibly 5000 years, but I don't think their techniques were really "shaving" like we know it today.

I could be totally wrong, though.

Top Bottom