What's new

mightyeskimo`s Shave Journal

So I thought I'd start one of these after building a decent collection and trying a few things. I'm going to adopt a 1 week style to build technique and reduce variables. I'll edit this first post regularly to keep track of my favorite combos. I invite your comments and encouragement.

Favorite Razor/Blade Combos

Merkur 34C

1. Trig Silver Edge
2. Gillette Wilkinson

Last edited:
Week 1-Day 1

Merkur 34C
Trig Silver Edge Stainless (x1)
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Williams Mug Soap
Thayers Unscented Alchohol Free
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. I was very pleased with the smoothness and sharpness of the Trig. I also enjoyed the Mug. I'm a fan of the strong scents so this is a great choice for me. I found out that it takes some real loading and working the puck to get a nice lather from this soap. I had to go back and reload to really whip it up but one I got it going it was thick and slick. The 34C is my favorite razor so starting a week with it was a no brainer. I continue to be amazed at how well witch hazel performs in place of a balm. I like to pair it with Clubman because, let's face it, we choose Clubman because we want to smell Clubman. Anything infringing on the Clubman is just plain annoying! :D

Feeling great today! Time to go buy a crib for my soon to arrive son. :)

Last edited:
Great minds think alike... I have started a "Shave Journal" as well in an attempt to document optimal results for my face. I am currently recording the data in a spreadsheet and I will post the results after I have some data and conclusions (lol)... The categories that I will be recording can be found below:

I will use the same process for two weeks vice one. But if at the end of the first week if the results are poor I will abort the process document the results and move on to a different combination.

I will also be using two blades per week, Blade One: Monday, Tuesday... Blade Two: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Data Entry Fields:
-Type: (Considered mild or aggressive)
-Blade: (Astra SP, Merkur, Feather, etc)
-Razor: (Slim Adjustable, Tech, EJ 89, etc)
-Brush: (Badger or Boar)
-Pre-Shave Oil: (Shave Secret, AoS, etc)
-Shave Cream: (Specify brand, cream or soap)
-Witch Hazel: (Yes or No)
-After Shave: (Specify brand)
-Results: (Do it again or Never again)
-Notes: Free flow text

Data Example:
-Type: Mild
-Blade: Astra SP
-Razor: Slim Adjustable
-Brush: Badger (Super)
-Pre-Shave Oil: Shave Secret
-Shave Cream: Proraso/Green
-Witch Hazel: Yes
-After Shave: Pinaud Bay Rum
-Results: Do it again
-Notes: Slim Adjustable setting = 3, Made me feel like a beast!

I look forward to reading your results!! Please post often!:001_smile

Week 1-Day 1

Merkur 34C
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Williams Mug Soap
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. I was very pleased with the smoothness and sharpness of the Trig. I also enjoyed the Mug. I'm a fan of the strong scents so this is a great choice for me. I found out that it takes some real loading and working the puck to get a nice lather from this soap. I had to go back and reload to really whip it up but one I got it going it was thick and slick. The 34C is my favorite razor so starting a week with it was a no brainer. I continue to be amazed at how well witch hazel performs in place of a balm. I like to pair it with Clubman because, let's face it, we choose Clubman because we want to smell Clubman. Anything infringing on the Clubman is just plain annoying! :D

Feeling great today! Time to go buy a crib for my soon to arrive son. :)
Congrats on your son, we pray all wiil be good and healthy for your family.

Good Day Gentlemen. I am doing a shave journal as well. Mine is more of a narrative, but I do list what I am using and offer my opinions on the different hardware and software that I use each day. Attached is the link. I shave daily and update after each shave.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/383400-Wake-up-call

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your son. You will be giving him a legacy as he grows up with your journey into traditional shaving.

Good Day Gentlemen. I am doing a shave journal as well. Mine is more of a narrative, but I do list what I am using and offer my opinions on the different hardware and software that I use each day. Attached is the link. I shave daily and update after each shave.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/383400-Wake-up-call

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your son. You will be giving him a legacy as he grows up with your journey into traditional shaving.

Thanks!

Week 1-Day 2

Merkur 34C
Trig Silver Edge Stainless (x2)
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Williams Mug Soap
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. Still having to put some extra work into getting a good lather from Williams Mug. The first load and build tends to come out too frothy. I'll then squeeze the lather out of the brush into my bowl and then go back to the puck to reload. Then I'll go back to the bowl and mix the two loads together. This creates a thicker and creamier lather. The Trig performed well again. I have some irritation and need to continue to work on getting the most from each stroke to reduce touch ups and buffing. Even the Thayers stung just a tiny bit. Still feeling good though! I think I'll try a cold water shave tomorrow.

A preview of Week 2!

Maggard MR7
Gillette 7 o clock Yellow
TOBS Sandalwood Cream
GFT Sandalwood Skin Food Aftershave Balm

I can't wait!

Last edited:
Week 1-Day 3

Merkur 34C
Trig Silver Edge Stainless (x3)
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Williams Mug Soap
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. Cold water shave certainly resulted in less overall irritation. I can see why some gents use it. Trig blade still going strong. Soaked the puck of Williams with my brush to see if that would help speed up the lather production. It didn't. I still have to put some work into this soap for a good lather. I squeezed out the brush into my bowl and went back to the puck to reload again this morning. It did help produce a creamier lather and reduce the frothiness this soap tends to produce. I think I'll switch blades tomorrow. Honestly, I'm ready to be done with the Mug for a bit. I enjoy the soap but it's not one I would use for more than a few days sequentially.

Week 1-Day 4
Merkur 34C
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Proraso Blue Cream
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. I put in a new Trig and used the Proraso cream today. Need a Mug break. Cold water shave again and I must say I'm really grooving on this cold water. It really helps prevent irritation very well. I still get feedback by seeing redness but the irritated feeling is gone. So I can still work on my technique just a bit more comfortably.

Week 1-Day 5
Merkur 34C
Trig Silver Edge Stainless (x2)
Simpson Commodore X2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Proraso Blue Cream
Clubman Original

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. Cold water shave. Loving the Trig. Feeling good. :)

So when you say cold water shave, what exactly do you mean?

Cold rinse, cold lather, cold water on the razor between strokes? Curious because I have horribly neck irritation

I soak my brush in hot water to make my lather. All other water is cold. Give it a shot. I was very surprised. My next razor purchase is going to be a slant which should further help with more comfortable neck shaves.

I soak my brush in hot water to make my lather. All other water is cold. Give it a shot. I was very surprised. My next razor purchase is going to be a slant which should further help with more comfortable neck shaves.

Thanks! Going to add witch hazel to my routine tomorrow and see if that helps a little before giving cold water a try if needed.

Week 1-Day 6
Merkur 34C
Trig Silver Edge Stainless (x3)
Simpson Commodore X2
Conk Bay Rum
Captains Cat O Nine Tails Bay Rum

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. Cold water shave. I can definitely feel a difference in quality on the 3rd shave with this blade. I think I'll try to keep the Trigs to only 2 shaves per blade. The Conk seemed to froth out on my by the last pass. I soaked the pick for a minute and load the brush by swirling with pressure on the puck slowly for probably 50 swirls. I also gently pressed the bristles into the puck. I got a great creamy lather to start with but it tended to get frothier with each reload. Perhaps the addition of water by dropping off my hand into the bowl as well as the water the brush picked up from my face while relathering was the reason. Finished up with Cat O Nine Tails Bay Rum. There's a reason the bottle says feel the burn. It goes on smooth then after a minute your face is on fire for 15 seconds then back to smooth. Love the bold spicy scent! Feeling like a pirate. :)

Week 1-Day 7
Merkur 34C
Simpson Commodore X2
Conk Bay Rum
Captains Cat O Nine Tails Bay Rum

3 passes-WTG, XTG, GTX

DFS. Cold water shave. Better lather because I made sure to dry my hands after rinsing so I wouldn't drip more water into the bowl. Feeling the burn again and digging the rum. :D

Nice to have more shave journals to read, and the work is appreciated!

You may find it helpful to describe your shave prep method as well. There's no such thing as a good wet shave without good prep, and while it's not the only contributor, it will help you to troubleshoot any irritation or beard reduction issues.

Best of luck and carry on!

Congratulations on the newborn!

Congrats on your son, pray all goes well. Post a pic when he arrives. What razor will you bequeath to him when he starts to shave? I know it's a little soon for that, but you need to start young to indoctrinate I mean teach about WS & DE shaving. The pic in my avatar is my new grand daughter.

Last edited:
Nice to have more shave journals to read, and the work is appreciated!

You may find it helpful to describe your shave prep method as well. There's no such thing as a good wet shave without good prep, and while it's not the only contributor, it will help you to troubleshoot any irritation or beard reduction issues.

Best of luck and carry on!

Congratulations on the newborn!

Thanks! I should have included that each shave took place after a shower. The previous days I used Mug, I also used Proraso Pre Shave Cream (Green). The days I used Conk I did not use a pre shave product. My shower face wash is Dove For Men Hydrate.

Top Bottom