What's new

Seeking recommendations on my next FP

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thank you, gents. The seller accepted my offer! This, of course, caused me to wonder whether I left some money on the table-- which I no doubt did-- but those thoughts were fleeting. I'm extremely eager to get my hands on this pen. Now begins the hard part, waiting for it to make its journey from Japan.

The seller is wondering if you would have offered up another $20 if he had said "no".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Indeed . . . and, truth be told, I likely would've ponied up another $20.

Right.

So call it even, forget about a few extra bucks one way or the other (over the life of the pen, or you, whichever comes first, that works out to much less than a penny a day) and just ink up that puppy and enjoy!!

Cant wait till you get that, sailor makes great pens, I know both Andy and Ian LOVE the NT nibs and im m sure to count you among them once you get yours

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cant wait till you get that, sailor makes great pens, I know both Andy and Ian LOVE the NT nibs and im m sure to count you among them once you get yours

... and when is YOURS arriving, Syn?

Its on a very short list once the tax return comes in,... but Jim road blocked a few things with that other project of his lol, I got a way higher then expected return this year so we will see

$200 gives you lots of great pens to choose from.

If you are in lots of meetings and take notes Parker 51s and the Lamy 2000 are both winners. Their hooded nibs and pull-off / push-on caps are made for meetings and notes. The hoods keep the nibs from drying out. That means you don't have to continually re-cap them. These are not fussy pens. They were made to work forever and a day. My 51 Aerometric is my daily writer and my favorite pen. The Aerometric system is bullet proof.

I don't have a Pilot Vanishing Point but many people on this board swear by them. Push the button and write. It is said to be a workhorse too. The only minor complaint I've heard is their ink capacity.

As someone else said, Franklin Christophe pens are really nice pens. Most if not all have a screw-on caps.
Im feeling that vanishing point.....
proxy.php

Yesterday I received notice that my pen has shipped, so I'm pretty jazzed about that. I'm confident that I'll become another fan of the naginata togi nib, syngent, based on what I've read about it. Doc4's recommendation is what prompted me to research it, and from there it was but a short leap to purchasing the Sailor. By way of explanation, a couple of years ago I was shopping for a watch to give my son for his birthday. I wanted a good quality, nice-looking, but not stupidly expensive, watch. While scanning several "help me pick my next watch" threads in the Haberdashery, I came upon a post by Doc4 recommending Orient Star watches from Japan. I checked them out, ordered one and the watch exceeded my expectations by far. My point? One should always heed advice offered by one having the capability both to be square and there simultaneously.

Im feeling that vanishing point.....

Me, too! Although I really want to try one in hand before buying; the location of the clip gives me pause. But if the clip isn't an issue, the Pilot Vanishing Point very well may be my next pen.

Yesterday I received notice that my pen has shipped, so I'm pretty jazzed about that. I'm confident that I'll become another fan of the naginata togi nib, syngent, based on what I've read about it. Doc4's recommendation is what prompted me to research it, and from there it was but a short leap to purchasing the Sailor. By way of explanation, a couple of years ago I was shopping for a watch to give my son for his birthday. I wanted a good quality, nice-looking, but not stupidly expensive, watch. While scanning several "help me pick my next watch" threads in the Haberdashery, I came upon a post by Doc4 recommending Orient Star watches from Japan. I checked them out, ordered one and the watch exceeded my expectations by far. My point? One should always heed advice offered by one having the capability both to be square and there simultaneously.

Me, too! Although I really want to try one in hand before buying; the location of the clip gives me pause. But if the clip isn't an issue, the Pilot Vanishing Point very well may be my next pen.

Basically you should stop listening to Ian. His advice gets you broke quicker than a "gentleman's" club on bourbon st today.

My Sailor Pro-Gear (Medium-Fine 21K gold/rhodium naginata togi nib) arrived. It's a stunner (albeit subdued) and writes like a dream. I don't think I could be happier with my choice. I'll post a couple of photos in the Acquisitions thread.

Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He can do it with a pancake, for all I care! We'll still all be broke!

proxy.php

Two pancakes ... simultaneously!

My Sailor Pro-Gear (Medium-Fine 21K gold/rhodium naginata togi nib) arrived. It's a stunner (albeit subdued) and writes like a dream. I don't think I could be happier with my choice. I'll post a couple of photos in the Acquisitions thread.

Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations!

:thumbup:

Top Bottom