What's new

After shave care routine.

After you shave what do you like to do and in what order, ie. cold water splash, alum bar, rinse, then it seems to me it could be a 1,000 different combinations of things. Face balm, after cream, witch hazel, moisturizer, aftershaves, alcohol or not, etc. what combos and what is the correct order. I feel I do some things in the wrong order and not getting the best results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just do a LOT of water rinsing (hot or cold, doesn't matter to me) to get the soap completely off my face, or it dries me out later. A little proraso syptic gel if I have a cut. Don't care for after products.

Oh yeah, I leave my face wet when I apply AS. I feel like a little water on my face allowes me to use less product. As always YMMV.

Rinse face with the basin water which is hot/warm
First rinse of brush and first rinse of razor
Clean lather bowl or scuttle and put away
Drain basin cleaning whiskers/soap
Refill basin with cold water
Rinse face again
(at this point if I an going to use Alum I will. If I see weepers I'll apply styptic. Rinse face again)
2nd rinse of brush and razor dry razor and brush and put away
Apply aftershave
rinse hands and aftershave bottle in basin, dry and put away
Drain sink
Wipe down sink and counter

Similar to above.
add a cool washcloth face wipe
another cool washcloth wipe, but with aftershave.
optionally, a smear of Shea butter and/or spritz of cologne.
if a straight was used, blade wipe with tissue then light baby oil on credit

Rinse with cold tap water, pat try.
Splash with a little bit of witch hazel, especially on my neck, which is prone to irritation and razor bumps
When that dries I apply either aftershave or balm/lotion, or both, in that order, depends on my mood.

For me, I rinse of the last of the cream with hot water and rub an alum block on my skin. I leave it on while I clean my scuttle and dry my brush. Rinse with cold water, then apply Thayer rose witch hazel. Let it dry, then apply Co9 bay rum.

Sometimes I skip the alum, and sometimes I'll use a balm like Blind Barber instead of the rum.

Pretty similar to all the above, but will still add my two cents:

1. Warm Water Rinse
  2. Alum Block
  3. Cold Water Rinse
  4. Let Face Dry* (1-2 Minutes)
  5. Apply Aftershave Splash
  6. Let Face Dry* (1-2 Minutes)
  7. Apply Moisturizer
  8. Final Cleanup

*Great time to clean up while waiting

edit: As always, what works for some will not always be best for you. I find my skin to be too dry in my lower neck area (but perfect everywhere else) if I don't use moisturizer and stick to aftershave/witch hazel only. You can see a basic template formed, but try different routines and see what's best for you! :wink2:

Last edited:
1. Rinse face with warm water to clean off soap and left stubble
2. Cold water rinse face focusing on neck.
3. Leaving face wet apply WH
4. Apply AS
5. Take a deep breath and beat my chest.

If I'm using ASB, I won't apply WH and dry my face softly with a towel.

I keep it simple:

- Rinse my face with cold water this feels so great if I use the green Proraso menthol based shaving cream.
- Use a towel to dry my face.
- Apply aftershave (proraso green).

rinse with warm/hot water
rinse with cold water
apply witch hazel
clean up a bit
apply aftershave
finish cleaning
apply aftershave balm

Wipe face with washcloth
Apply cold washcloth to face
Clean face with witch hazel
Since its cold here in the Midwest apply balm, this step is removed in the warmer months
Apply a generous amount of aftershave
Ask all three women in my house to smell said aftershave for their approval of it.

Top Bottom