Fridays are Fishtastic!
Picked up a few things today

Attachments

• $20150328_134008.jpg
    $20150328_134008.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 54

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
3rd batch of Yeehaw hot sauce. It was easy and fun to make. I changed up a lot of things from the first two. I found some really sweet little baby bell peppers. So I did not use the carrots. Also, I like the flavor of many different peppers. Habanero, serrano and jalapeno. Garlic and cherry tomato's too. All went under the broiler for a good char. I also added 4 re-hydrated New Mexico chili pods. I wouldn't say the best batch, just different. It is mild to medium heat wise.

$IMG_0827.jpg$IMG_0828.jpg$IMG_0829.jpg$IMG_0832.jpg$IMG_0830.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I looked for Vegemite at the store yesterday. I couldn't find it. I'll have to go to a specialty store.

Aaron I'm not trying to put you off trying it but is a acquired taste. It is sort of beefy flavour (it's vegetarian) and can be used in cooking.

There are things about it that make me think you will like it.......maybe.............maybe not.
from the attachment below...... "It CERTAINLY doesn’t smell bad. But it doesn’t really smell like anything you’ve smelled before, unless you’ve scraped up all the fond from the bottom of a pan after searing meat or mushrooms and just tasted that alone."

http://benstarr.com/blog/the-truth-about-vegemite-from-an-american-foodie/

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Stephen, Rustlin Robs is a hot sauce lovers Mecca. I've been there many times when in Fredericksburg, Tx. I haven't tried the jalapeño peanut butter, but I've tried many different pepper jellies and jams. I say order some and report back. How in the world did you find that place?

I'm thinking about growing some chilis for myself. It's my first time, and I want to use them for a tabasco-styled hot sauce, but also for salsas and general cooking. I've been thinking about going for the classics and just doing a plant of red or orange habaneros and a a plant of scotch bonnets.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a chili not stronger than habaneros/scotch bonnets, that has a fruity flavor?

Thanks!

The LOML has a good friend who now lives in Texas. She had posted on social media about being at Rustlin Robs, and trying the jalapeno peanut butter. The LOML knew I'd be interested and showed it to me.

I think I'll order some. I still need to make more Texas Red, but you Carne Guisada recipe has me tempted. Spring is a busy time of year for me and I don't get to spend much time in the kitchen, though. Soon, soon....

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm thinking about growing some chilis for myself. It's my first time, and I want to use them for a tabasco-styled hot sauce, but also for salsas and general cooking. I've been thinking about going for the classics and just doing a plant of red or orange habaneros and a a plant of scotch bonnets.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a chili not stronger than habaneros/scotch bonnets, that has a fruity flavor?

Thanks!

You could try planting the Tabasco pepper if you want that Tabasco styled hot sauce. Salsa and hot sauce are two different animals. Salsa being more, fresh tomatoes, onion, cilantro and a pepper or two. Hot sauce has alot of vinegar and uses many peppers in its recipe. For salsa I have been using one habanero and one jalapeno or serrano for about 16-20 oz batch. I think the habanero gives it that fruitiness that is so popular and delicious. I haven't bought the scotch bonnet because of it's availability. Manzano pepper is hot and has a fruity flavor like bell pepper.

Check out this chart of peppers for a summary of many different varieties. Now you've got to pick one.

http://www.cayennediane.com/BigListofPeppers/Big-List-of-peppers.html

Top Bottom