What's new

Hot sauce junkie

Breakfast!

$breakfast.jpg

The green is a Hatch chili and tomatillo salsa from Texas, nice and tangy. The Spittin Fire XXX is a locally produced (Conway NH) Habenero Sauce with a pretty darn good kick -- which is why it's just a few drops.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, there are certainly some delicious sauces in this thread, but it seems they're quite heavily weighted towards the traditional hot sauce producing areas. (which includes Aaron's kitchen!)

I think we need some representation of hot stuff from traditionally non-spicy food regions. So, I will occasionally post some good stuff that I've found up here in the cold, mostly non-spicy, wilds of New England.

First off, I'm going to throw one out there that I'm sure most of you haven't heard of. And it comes from Vermont -- more known for maple syrup, crunchy-granola-tree-hugging-people and weird politics than spicy food. This is Fire in the Mountains Salsa. Although they don't make any true hot sauces, they make some really delicious salsas. They also make an interesting Maple Habenero BBQ sauce.

The Fire in the Mountains salsas are very fresh tasting, with good, but not overwhelming, heat in the Wildfire-Medium and ForestFire-Hot varieties. (I haven't tried the Raging Wildfire kind yet) There's a slight smokiness and everything works together without any one ingredient being overpowering. It's not a chunky salsa, and it's a fairly thin consistency -- enough to stay on a chip, but you'll have to hold it level.

Sadly, I currently don't have any in my cabinet to take "action shots", but I'll have to rectify that soon. They're mostly available in various gourmet and specialty stores in northern new england, but they do have an online store. Check 'em out.
http://w.ivenue.com/catamount/ecommerce/salsas.html

I logged-in to their website and I agree that salsa's are not dead in the retail market, just changing. Long gone (at least for me) are the days of eating below average salsa with way too much salt and no flavor from the tomatoes or peppers. So, I make my own and have for years now. I can control how much salt, if any, or the heat. Freshness wins out every time. The artisan salsa makers are the ones to look for.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice link Aaron.
I see Ring of Fire. :thumbup: and many open bottles for tasting as well.

Have you tried Texas Kicker and Texas Champagne. I have seen both local to me
edit: I see they have sample bottles of those ones, if you have not tried can you report back after your in store taste test.:popc:

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice link Aaron.
I see Ring of Fire. :thumbup: and many open bottles for tasting as well.

Have you tried Texas Kicker and Texas Champagne. I have seen both local to me
edit: I see they have sample bottles of those ones, if you have not tried can you report back after your in store taste test.:popc:

The Texas Kicker was too salty, YSMMV (You're Saltiness Mileage My Vary) for me. I haven't tasted the Champagne. Track back to the second to the last room (still in the hot sauce area) and look at the Hot sauce collection on the upper high shelf. Pretty good collection.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This just came across my news feed:
"Just released today from the Louisiana Hot Sauce Expo held this weekend – the 2015 World Hot Sauce Awards Winners List!"
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/2015-world-hot-sauce-awards-winners-list/

Lots of delicious-sounding sauces, salsas, BBQ sauces, Rubs, etc. Including a win in the Ultra-hot category for our much-lusted-for, but rarely seen (in the US) Fire Dragon Chilies "Dragons Fury" from New Zealand.

Fire Dragon is a very small company. He grows all his own Chili for his sauces. This is his second award for the same Ultra-hot category. Their Deadly hot sauce won last year or the year before.
This is made from all natural super hot chilli and has a 85% chili content.

Culley's (another NZ brand) site says they took gold with their Bhut Jolokia in the hot category. I have not tried that one yet myself...........yet.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here's a cool place to buy hot sauce, salsa's, spices and jams....Rustlin' Rob's in Fredericksburg, Texas. I'm headed there next weekend.

Click on the stores red front doors to go inside and look around. Very cool feature. Go all the way to the back for the good (hot) stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.274...CfbJ-NRRP9263PYu6Fv2eA!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656
Been there. There is nothing but greatness in Fredericksburg. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but it is a friendly one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Texas Kicker was too salty, YSMMV (You're Saltiness Mileage My Vary) for me. I haven't tasted the Champagne. Track back to the second to the last room (still in the hot sauce area) and look at the Hot sauce collection on the upper high shelf. Pretty good collection.
I hate overly salted products. Even with recipes I halve the salt and double the pepper. We Americans get way too much salt.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This popped up in the mail today:

$IMG_1181.jpg

I've only tried the El Yucateca brand. I tasted the one in the little Tupperware. It's the medium version of the hot El Patio. The El Patio medium is not very hot but it's spicy, if that makes any sense. Very bold and is close to the Tabasco family but with more flavor going on. A good sauce.

Thanks to Mike (Simon1).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Congrats on the package Aaron they look nice. I have seen the green bottle of El Yucateca here, will be interested in your taste test.

Good stuff Mike.:thumbup1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The El Yucateca, to my taste, is a couple of steps hotter than the Valentina Extra Hot. I think I'll try the Valentina medium next time to compare it to the El Pato medium. Haven't opened my bottle of El Pato hot as I have both the El Yucateca and Valentina extra hot open, along with an old bottle of El Pato medium.

I'm interested in how the stuff in the PIF you sent compares to the El Yucateca...probably quite a bit hotter.

Gee, I think now I'll go pour some Valentina in a small bag of potato chips.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm interested in how the stuff in the PIF you sent compares to the El Yucateca...probably quite a bit hotter.

Gee, I think now I'll go pour some Valentina in a small bag of potato chips.

Which PIF? The one I had? If so yes, the El yucateco salsa kutbil-ik will burn your face off...but has a great flavor. Among the extreme hots this one might be my favorite.

Good idea on pouring some in to a bag of plain chips. Give it a little shake. View attachment 588748

Last edited:
El Yucateca Red and Green sauces are always in my hot sauce cabinet. The green is my favorite of the two for it's distinct flavor. Never been a fan of the Valentina. I've heard of El Pato, but never seen it up here.....

Nice PIF!

This just in!

Could Chili Peppers Reduce Risk of All-Cause Mortality?
Wed, 08/05/15 - 13:51
Habitually eating spicy foods is inversely associated with mortality, particularly from cancer, ischemic heart diseases, and respiratory diseases, according to a recent study.

In order to examine the relationship between the consumption of spicy food and mortality rates, researchers conducted a population based prospective cohort study of 199,293 men and 288,082 women between the ages of 30 and 79 years from 2004 and 2008. The frequency of spicy food consumption, as well as the types of spices used in food preparation, was assessed during the administration of a baseline questionnaire.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

During follow-up, 11820 deaths among men and 8404 deaths among women were reported.

Overall, the risk for all-cause mortality was 10% lower among participants who ate spicy foods 1-2 days per week and 14% lower among those who ate spicy foods 3-7 days per week than in those who ate them less than once per week.

Specifically, deaths from cancer, ischemic heart disease, and respiratory diseases were significantly lower in those participants consuming higher amounts of spicy food (particularly chili pepper), a fact that researchers said could be attributed to capsaicin, the active component of chilies, which has been shown to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antihypertensive effects.

“Our analyses showed significant inverse associations between spicy food consumption and total and certain cause specific mortality (cancer, ischemic heart diseases, and respiratory diseases),” they concluded.

“Further prospective studies in other populations would be essential to demonstrate generalizability of these findings. More evidence will lead to updated dietary recommendations and development of functional foods, such as herbal supplements.“

Yep. It's a new scientific study that suggests that all us chile heads are actually making ourselves healthier. Gotta love it.

Top Bottom