What's new

Hot sauce junkie

Tried making chipotles this weekend. Started with 206g of red jalapenos and put them in the electric smoker at 150F for 24 hours. Smoked with oak pellets the first 6 hours. Ended up with 25g of dried chilies, which is a moisture loss of 88% by weight. They look ok to me. Now to figure out what I want to do with them!

IMG_4381.JPG by cxg231, on Flickr

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok Chris, here it is, but promise me no beans for the first time around. Pictures or it didn't happen...you know the drill. Then do what you want on subsequent pots....just don't show it to me.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/437091-Texas-Red-Chili-Recipe

The thread is long, but pretty entertaining. There are a lot of tips and tricks (as well as mistakes) throughout the thread. A lot of members made the recipe and liked it a lot. I tweaked the recipe quite a bit from the original thread post, so look for those or other members tweaks. The original however, is pretty darn good.

Good luck and happy cooking.

Any questions let me know.

-Aaron

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Before long she'll be sneaking in for a taste of the El Chup. You better lock all that stuff up.

I got a phone call from my wife today while I was at work, asking what hot sauce would be best to add to her soup.
Then she asked if I saw the bucket of feijoas, that she was given yesterday. She wants me to make a feijoa hot sauce...................I have created a monster.
Now I just need to find some fresh chili. :thumbup:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had to look up feijoas. It's sweet....so I know where her mind is headed on this journey. Should I give you a recipe or should I wait for the south island to ship over some scotch bonnets?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think a recipe would be in order as waiting for those South Islanders to ship some scotch bonnet will have the feijoas going off.
Yeah I also think she wants it sweet. I think she really liked my Kiwi Fruit Hot Sauce. Maybe I should make a batch of each..............

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I think a recipe would be in order as waiting for those South Islanders to ship some scotch bonnet will have the feijoas going off.
Yeah I also think she wants it sweet. I think she really liked my Kiwi Fruit Hot Sauce. Maybe I should make a batch of each..............

I think you should just order some Waha Wera. Unless you feel totally committed to rounding up all the ingredients.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think you should just order some Waha Wera. Unless you feel totally committed to rounding up all the ingredients.

I can't belive you just said that.

I would like to try the new one from Culleys - Kiwi Fruit Hot Sauce.
The little woman would be disapointed if I did not do this. I would like to give it a crack to keep her on board.........happy wife, happy life.
Plus it's fun making them.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I can't belive you just said that.

I would like to try the new one from Culleys - Kiwi Fruit Hot Sauce.
The little woman would be disapointed if I did not do this. I would like to give it a crack to keep her on board.........happy wife, happy life.
Plus it's fun making them.

Somehow I knew that last statement would spark you up. So the answer is, your totally committed to rounding up all the ingredients. I'm in too. What's next?

....do you think a pound of habaneros that is puréed would make it through customs?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Somehow I knew that last statement would spark you up. So the answer is, your totally committed to rounding up all the ingredients. I'm in too. What's next?

....do you think a pound of habaneros that is puréed would make it through customs?

I think that I saw some Chili at the supermarket the other day that could fit this brew..........I call in on the way home to check.

Customs? maybe, maybe not. I think it leans towards not................

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I think that I saw some Chili at the supermarket the other day that could fit this brew..........I call in on the way home to check.

Customs? maybe, maybe not. I think it leans towards not................

What about the speciality stores? Could there be a place that imports fresh peppers you aren't seeing?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What about the speciality stores? Could there be a place that imports fresh peppers you aren't seeing?

I will continue my search but with Winter starting here I don't like my chances.

OK I did see some jalapeno the other day. I went back and picked up 400grams/14oz of jalapeno.

The wife has pigged out on the feijoas and there are only a few left. She was going to get a fresh load for the weekend.
Feijoas are grown in many people back yard here in NZ . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acca_sellowiana

I also picked up some green Kiwi fruit but forgot the Manuka honey. All good I have some chili and the rest is easy to get.

$20150520_163247.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom