What's new

Hot sauce junkie

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 661810Somehow this thread has slipped to the bottom of page two. I received a care package from New Zealand via Austin, TX- thanks Chris and Aaron. I cannot wait to try this on some Earl Campbell hot links on Monday :thumbup:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My pleasure Owen.
I wanted it to be a surprise and as I did not have your address, I sent yours via Aaron. I gave Aaron a bottle as well.
Now we are not normally good at keeping these things a secrete, with the international shipping time plus forwarding once it arrived at Aarons place we done well. Thanks Aaron for your help with this.
The hot links sounds good to go with it.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My pleasure Owen.
I wanted it to be a surprise and as I did not have your address, I sent yours via Aaron. I gave Aaron a bottle as well.
Now we are not normally good at keeping these things a secrete, with the international shipping time plus forwarding once it arrived at Aarons place we done well. Thanks Aaron for your help with this.
The hot links sounds good to go with it.
Hmmm, I wonder if hot links could survive the post to New Zealand. I reckon Earl Campbell isn't as well known in your neck of the woods. He was an NFL running back who could only be stopped by Pittsburgh Steelers- he ran roughshod over the entire league.

on edit: I like the label. I need to get off my duff and design one.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hmmm, I wonder if hot links could survive the post to New Zealand. I reckon Earl Campbell isn't as well known in your neck of the woods. He was an NFL running back who could only be stopped by Pittsburgh Steelers- he ran roughshod over the entire league.

on edit: I like the label. I need to get off my duff and design one.

Earl Campbell is not well know here. What do the hot links taste like, hot and spicy?

I normally don't worry about labels but I felt this one was good enough for one. Plus it is a similar colour to the Big O's I made so labeling made sense.

This is the two bottles before packing up for posting.

$20160516_162521.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Earl Campbell is not well know here. What do the hot links taste like, hot and spicy?

I normally don't worry about labels but I felt this one was good enough for one. Plus it is a similar colour to the Big O's I made so labeling made sense.

They are spicy, with a little bit of heat, though not much. He makes a red hot which is hotter, but I like the flavor of his original ones better. I just supplement with a good mustard, because nothing is better with sausage than mustard, IMO. Football aged him considerably. From all the hits he took he has problems walking, and has to resort to a wheel chair sometimes. It is very sad to see. I grew up watching him destroy tacklers. I hated the Houston Oilers (division rivals of the Steelers at the time) but I loved watching him run.

$ECHL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've meet Earl. He's a central Texas supermarket, grass fed, pork sausage makin' football icon.

...and by the way the foot was down in the End zone by the oilers against the steelers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is official- Crazy Kiwi is enjoyed by people in two countries. It is going to go great with sausage

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It is official- Crazy Kiwi is enjoyed by people in two countries. It is going to go great with sausage

I'm glad you enjoyed it Owen. I had to get one right eventually. :001_smile

I was happy to get a few batches of hot sauces off my plants. There was a point where I thought the yield was going to be very low. I have now moved the plants inside my garage as the weather has turned cold and the pods are still ripening up. There is enough for another small batch of sauce.

I'm a major hot food and spice junky. I always have the following hot sauce at home:
  • Tobasco - I think I've put it on every starch I've eaten. Also Pizza, all manner of eggs, grits, on and on. Must have it on a baked potato. Pasta dishes. Pretty much anything firied: chicken, fried steak, fried shrimp, catfish, oysters, okra, you name it, etc... I mix it with mayo and ketchup for french fries and hamburgers. I mix it with tartar sauce at fish places. An extra dash or two in cocktail sauce. Gotta have it in a bloody mary. Its the bedrock. I keep a bottle at my office and in my man-purse. All other hot sauces in my house I use similarly for variety just for the heck of it.
  • Original Louisiana - always good, and its always in my house.
  • Frank's Red Hot - I only discovered Franks a couple of years ago. Kind of mild, but I like it.
  • Huy Fong Sriracha - great stuff. I always put it on spring rolls and pho.
  • Cholula - very nice flavor. Super mild, but the flavor is special.
  • Tapatio - another good all-round hot sauce.

Other heat:
  • Jalepenos - I put it on pizza, hamburgers, french fries, BBQ, most any Mexican dish, etc...
  • Red Peppers - pizza, any pasta dish, chili, beans, etc...
  • Horseradish - raw oysters, cocktail sauce, bratz, roast beef, etc...
  • Wasabi - I can't imagine sushi without a healthy dose of wasabi mixed with my soy sauce.
  • Salsa - I buy smaller brands that have a "hot" option. Clint's and Mrs. Renfro's are two favorites.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No need to be humble- I think it's better than Dottie's

Wow Owen that's a big call. My bottle of Lotties is long gone so can't compare exactly myself but I also think it may be more to my taste.

I have been making some mustard pickle, the wife took some to work and the feedback was it was better than any store bought stuff.
Now I made heaps of it and being in this club I mixed some Cully's Habanero Hot sauce and my mustard pickle to go in my ham & cheese sammies......as you do. That's what made the cogs turn in the old noggin. Some of the mustard pickle recipe and winged the rest. Hey it worked. :laugh:
The first batch was made with our home preserved peaches and the wildfire chillies only. Very nice, but needed a bit more heat.
Next batch is as you have just tried. Happy with it as is but still want to tweak.
I have a heap of black mustard seeds, so want to try making my own mustard, mixing the black with some yellow. I'll do that before deciding if that is a direction to go with it.
Maybe exclude the hot English mustard powder. Scotch Bonnets are screaming at me to go it this sauce.

Anyway I glad it went down well.

Lookin good!

I picked up a few new sauces.
Nando's Peri-Peri: Nice flavor - first time trying this pepper. They only had Medium, but it's an enjoyable, flavorful sauce.
El Yucateco Chile Habanero (Green) - Anyone know the difference between the red and green?
Melinda's Habanero

Have not tried the other 2 yet, but enjoy most habanero sauces.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Lookin good!

I picked up a few new sauces.
Nando's Peri-Peri: Nice flavor - first time trying this pepper. They only had Medium, but it's an enjoyable, flavorful sauce.
El Yucateco Chile Habanero (Green) - Anyone know the difference between the red and green?
Melinda's Habanero

Have not tried the other 2 yet, but enjoy most habanero sauces.

The El Yucateco are some of my favorites. The one pictured in the middle is the Kutbil-ik and is very flavorful but is mucho caliente. The black labeled one is newer.

$91nLwN-tz7L._SX522_.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Wow Owen that's a big call. My bottle of Lotties is long gone so can't compare exactly myself but I also think it may be more to my taste.

I have been making some mustard pickle, the wife took some to work and the feedback was it was better than any store bought stuff.
Now I made heaps of it and being in this club I mixed some Cully's Habanero Hot sauce and my mustard pickle to go in my ham & cheese sammies......as you do. That's what made the cogs turn in the old noggin. Some of the mustard pickle recipe and winged the rest. Hey it worked. :laugh:
The first batch was made with our home preserved peaches and the wildfire chillies only. Very nice, but needed a bit more heat.
Next batch is as you have just tried. Happy with it as is but still want to tweak.
I have a heap of black mustard seeds, so want to try making my own mustard, mixing the black with some yellow. I'll do that before deciding if that is a direction to go with it.
Maybe exclude the hot English mustard powder. Scotch Bonnets are screaming at me to go it this sauce.

Anyway I glad it went down well.
I still have some Dottie's. I think the heat is about the same, but I think your flavor is a bit nicer. I know you might want to tweak it, but I think you already have a winner.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Owen, guess I can be my hardest critic.
I understand- I do the same thing. I want to tweak my hot sauce, but people I care for say it's perfect- well, I tap the brakes a bit. I make it to make people happy, and the people I give it to are happy, and say to not change it. If I make another hot sauce, I will go in another direction. Maybe fruit based.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I understand- I do the same thing. I want to tweak my hot sauce, but people I care for say it's perfect- well, I tap the brakes a bit. I make it to make people happy, and the people I give it to are happy, and say to not change it. If I make another hot sauce, I will go in another direction. Maybe fruit based.

Giving away something you made and making people happy is a good feeling indeed.

I'm thinking of having another crack at making a kiwifruit hot sauce.
Last time I made it, I added all the ingredients then cooked it off for 5 minutes. This time I'll try cooking all the other stuff then add the kiwifruit last with no more cooking. Difference between a stewed fruit and a fresh fruit hot sauce flavour.

Top Bottom