What's new

I have a question about knit hats.

Why do younger guys (my son included) where knit hat in warmer weather (above 40F) and even in the summer. They also wear it inside. It's not cold. Am I nuts or go old fashioned?

I remember doing this in the early-mid 90's when I was in high school (in Houston, TX). I was into skateboarding and the new Beastie Boys album, "Check your Head" just came out and Beanie's (which I always thought were brimless hats with a spinner) were everywhere. Grunge and Hip-hop listeners were crossing over and I remember that being the start of summer-time knit cap wearing. I always like mine tight like a dock worker or watch cap.

I currently have a tight buzz cut (0 to 1 guard) and my head gets cold in my office in summer or winter. I wear mostly flatcaps now, but the knit hat will be on when I ride my bike (moto or pedal) to work. I guess I can either wear and ascot or a wig to keep warm. I may start wearing Yamulke's that I picked up at a few weddings.

It's just a fashion statement. Depending on what it's made of it may actually help in both hot and cold weather regulate the temp, but mostly just a fashion thing. I wear them when it's cold since I'm bald. Under Armour makes some that work well for hot and cold.

I've been reading several threads, and it's funny to gain different perspectives. Like this one, you wonder why they do it, and I remember being in middle and high school it was the tight roll on the bottom of the jeans, and rolling short sleeves...preview to the "gun show". I'm sure our parents thought we were deranged...just like their parents thought they were for wearing poodle skirts and rolling a pack of Lucky's in their sleeves. I can say that, I've seen pictures of my mom in a poodle skirt and my dad with a pack of smokes rolled up in his sleeve. Now I watch my kids...my son likes the flat billed ball caps, still leaving the stupid sticker on it with the brand.

Thanks this helps . BTW - the reason why they rolled the cigaret pack in the sleaze wax that at that time t- shirts did not have pockets. Pockets were added to put the cig pack in. They fit perfectly. That is what I've been told.

Thanks this helps . BTW - the reason why they rolled the cigaret pack in the sleaze wax that at that time t- shirts did not have pockets. Pockets were added to put the cig pack in. They fit perfectly. That is what I've been told.

That makes sense, but it also brought another thought. I'm betting back in that time, 50'sish, that men primarily wore shirts over their T-Shirts that had pockets. Making that assumption parents probably thought the world was ending. Jr. is showing his underwear by only sporting what was largely considered an undergarment.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A family friend (highschool BFF of my father) wore one back in the 70's. More of a toque and/or watch cap. He wore it because in his mid-20's his hair decided to do this:

proxy.php

Top Bottom