What's new

Where are the Hammock sleepers here?

I have a nice hammock and used it a few times. It works nicley
Who here goes out and sleeps in there Hanging house

Dries

PS: Pics are permitted and encouraged.

ENO single nest, pro fly, bug net is my go to "out in the woods sleep system".

on the clock, chillin...

$ENO.jpg

I'm just not so warm and fuzzy about hanging off a tailboom:

$ENO tailboom.jpg

I have slept in a few, preferably with a frosty beverage and a pretty girl while ocean breezes waft across us.

proxy.php

Hanger here, been using a Hennessy Asym Expedition with Hex tarp for quite a few years now. Only sleep in a tent when the girl friend comes camping.

Dale

This is great. :thumbup:

Until its not.... There's generally four bolts that attach a monocoque tailboom to the fuselage. A tailboom that's not designed to hang potentially a couple hundred pounds off the end of the lever. A couple hundred grand worth of tailboom? Not me, no sir, I'm not hanging off one. Helicopters tend to not fly very well or further without one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bah.... Haven't crashed one yet

We have four helo sims here- a Bell 430, Bell 212/412 convertible, Bell 412, and EC135. It is a hoot hearing them autorotate in the 412. I am getting fairly adept at flying the EC-135. I can manage to land within 20 ft of what I am aiming at :biggrin: I need more practice, but I don't get much time to play anymore. We have 24 full flight simulators (mostly business jets) and they keep us hopping.

Only sims I've "flown" are 206, UH-1, and a 145. Once you get the 135 figured out, try the 212. Not sure how true it is, but a UH-1H/V floats foreeeeeeeever, if you kept it within the speed ranges for an auto. And it cushions super sweetly, so long as you don't wag the tail too much. 145s auto softly too.

And I hated the full motion sim I flew. Video had a 1-2 second lag. I don't know how they kept 'em clean, but I had the controller kill motion as soon as I turned crosswind the first ride.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Only sims I've "flown" are 206, UH-1, and a 145. Once you get the 135 figured out, try the 212. Not sure how true it is, but a UH-1H/V floats foreeeeeeeever, if you kept it within the speed ranges for an auto. And it cushions super sweetly, so long as you don't wag the tail too much. 145s auto softly too.

And I hated the full motion sim I flew. Video had a 1-2 second lag. I don't know how they kept 'em clean, but I had the controller kill motion as soon as I turned crosswind the first ride.
Bad lag time between motion and visuals make people sick. Lag tine should be less than 150 milliseconds.

Yeah, I'm familiar. :). The problem was they wrote helo code over a fixed program, resulting in squirrelly, unrealistic performance below 50 KIAS. I don't have any idea why the video lagged so badly, but the Army will always select the lowest bidder.... I got Coriolis on that turn, leveled, force trimmed, closed my eyes and breathed while I told him to kill motion. The good thing was I was on the panel for 98% of the time anyway, since I was getting my IE (CFII).

Ironically, I flew a helo before I ever drove a car. Hughes 300, my IP was a commander in the USNR with 15,000+ hours, 500 in combat flying SAR over North Vietnam. He had some interesting stories you won't get to hear.

I don't do the hammock thing except in the jungle.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, I'm familiar. :). The problem was they wrote helo code over a fixed program, resulting in squirrelly, unrealistic performance below 50 KIAS. I don't have any idea why the video lagged so badly, but the Army will always select the lowest bidder.... I got Coriolis on that turn, leveled, force trimmed, closed my eyes and breathed while I told him to kill motion. The good thing was I was on the panel for 98% of the time anyway, since I was getting my IE (CFII).
And I made mistake on the latencies- 150 ms is standard on airplanes. Helicopters are half that, because helos can move in ways that airplanes never could. I am still getting use to helicopter sims.

I use a Hennessy Deep Jungle when hoofing in and out of remote/primitive places. Just gotta use a pad when it gets below 60 or so because the bottom gets a bit too chilly. Otherwise a great sleeper.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I slept in a hammock in Belize for a year. The teick to sleeping in a real hammock, without the fancypants spreader sticks is to lay sort of diagonally in them. They sleep pretty good when you do it that way. Im talking about the CentralAmerican Mayan type hammock. Be sure you get one big enough. Many of them are made for smaller folks. If you are only 5 feet tall, disregard.

I'll be using a hammock as one of my primary sleepers on an upcoming 5 month trip across the western US. I got an ENO Double Nest, but I'm picking up a spare single in case my wife and can't handle sleeping together in one smushed together.

My ENO Onelink arrived today in the mail and I'm pretty happy with the size and weight of the whole thing. I'll probably set it up tomorrow and take a nap.

Top Bottom