What's new

Where are the Hammock sleepers here?

Unfortunately it's not mine, a friend made it out of bamboo. :thumbup1:
I liked sleeping in it very much because I've got no back ache like in other hammocks.

$bamboo.jpg

ENO Junglenest with Atlas Straps and a newly arrived Simply Light Designs Trail Lair (double layer 1.9 ripstop).

The ENO is okay but cannot touch the hand-made SLD. I had whoopie-slings and an integrated ridgeline built into the SLD. Awesome hammock. Also, I have some new straps and buckles on order from Dutch so I am thinking that I should be just fine for my next trip.

I sleep great in my hammocks, a War Bonnet Blackbird and a Eno Double nest. Car and motorcycle camping I use a full size thermarest for insulation, hiking I use the cheap closed cell foam pads from Walmart. My tarp is a 10x10 I rig in a diamond shape so only two bungies are needed. It's a light versatile way to camp.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have a Twisted Root Big Mozzi enroute, intended to be a placeholder until Christmas.

Had to check yesterday, the YO I have is an 11'9" double, while the YO net hammock is only an 8'9" single. The Twisted Root should suffice until.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm leaning toward a Blackbird XLC with 1.7 ... plenty of time to think about it, and haunt the hammock forum.

Updating the Big Mozzi with Amsteel continuous loops from Simply Light ... no, I don't trust myself to make them! yet. Though I am capable with paracord.

Though the ENO Atlas straps are great, the Twisted Root straps are even better! Instead of loops, it's just two parallel straps triple bar-tacked; has to be stronger. They are longer, too, though slightly heavier, I suppose. My hikes are short enough; not a gram weenie.

First cold front of the season came through last night. I rejected television and just kicked back in the hammock, enjoying the breeze and the stars. Winter's asterisms can't come soon enough.

AA

I'm thinking of ordering some material from Ripstop by the Roll and DIYing a new hammock. Sometimes I don't need the integrated bug net of my Hennessy, and losing a bit of weight would be nice. I'd definitely add a structural ridgeline.

The LOML is going to DIY underquilts and top quilts for us. We'll need them on our next major trip - the Foothills Trail (SC) in March.

I wanted a top load no net hammock, so I bought an Eno double nest. I had thought about a structural ridgeline but haven't done it yet. There probably is a right way to do that. I'll have to go study the hammock forum.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There's so much hammock info to digest, I went and bought the book ...

proxy.php

Made a bunch of tweaks to my gear afterward ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

AA

There's so much hammock info to digest, I went and bought the book ...

proxy.php

Made a bunch of tweaks to my gear afterward ...

Saw those tweaks on Hammock Forums - looks good!

Still debating whether or not to try and make a new hammock, or spend ~$50 and get one from Simply Light Designs.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw those tweaks on Hammock Forums - looks good!

Still debating whether or not to try and make a new hammock, or spend ~$50 and get one from Simply Light Designs.

I got my loops from Simply Light, and although I really want a Warbonnet XLC, I may go Simply Light for the "real" hammock- haven't decided yet! People say great things about BOTH vendors!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally had a photo-worthy hang at Gulf Islands National Seashore:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I made a shelf out of driftwood. The "Healing Meditations" book and the bail bondsman can coozie are a nice addition.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm. Poles; ground like a bivy ... Hm.

8' won't cut it as a hammock for me; I use a 12' and wish I had a 14'.

AA

Ordered the Tree Runner SL from Simply Light Designs. Got it with tree straps, whoopie slings, toggles, and structural ridgeline. It's 9 feet long (I'm not a big guy). Was going to add a ridgeline organizer for my stuff but I can make that. SLD also had some seconds quality silnylon on sale, so I ordered that and will try to make a tarp. If it doesn't work out I always have my old Hennessy tarp.

The LOML made us underquilts! She ordered material from Ripstop by the Roll and DIY'd the whole thing. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it. Can't wait to try them out. We're backpacking from Amicalola Falls to Neel Gap from November 23-25.

Top Bottom