What's new

Where are the Hammock sleepers here?

I'm playing around with a cheap sleeping bag, trying to set it up as an underquilt for my NoNet by Mosquito Hammocks. I have a big comforter that works as an underquilt with my Eno Double. I just put a .58 caliber round ball (or a smooth rock) in the corner of the fabric, and tie a line around it for a connector. Eventually, I may sew on some permanent loops. I car camp any more, so a little bulk or weight doesn't bother me.

Just Google reviews about the Kammock v. Eno. YouTube is a helpful source.

Check out their site. Kind of a smaller startup but sold at stores like REI so perhaps their growing. Definitely worth a look.

http://kammok.com/

$20150730_015356.jpg

Left to Right - Chubby 1 - Classic 2 - Rooney 1/1

Last edited:
I am an avid hammock camper. I have the Hennessey Explorer Deluxe with side zip, and a hex fly, a jacks R Better underquilt to keep back and buns toasty warm. I have camped out in it as low as -3C, and been very comfy. I still use a tent if I know I am going to be riding in an area that may lack suitable trees for hanging.

I am an avid hammock camper. I have the Hennessey Explorer Deluxe with side zip, and a hex fly, a jacks R Better underquilt to keep back and buns toasty warm. I have camped out in it as low as -3C, and been very comfy. I still use a tent if I know I am going to be riding in an area that may lack suitable trees for hanging.

I have heard nothing but good things about Hennessey. Great backpacking hammock but I just couldn't lay down the money when I was in the market for one.

Ultimately, over time, I bought a mosquito net and tarp designed for my hammock so I should have just waited. It would have been cheaper.

My friend uses his Hennessey as much as he uses a tent.

I am an utralight hammock camper. My setup is currently a Grand Trunk Utralight with continuous loops, 15' straps between hammock and tree, toggles for a marlinspike hitch can be found in nature, cheap tarp for now with continuous ridgeline. The whole package is very small and light. We have had rain or storms almost every day this summer, though, so I haven't been able to get out in the wilderness; my new backpack remains unused:mad3:.

I am an utralight hammock camper. My setup is currently a Grand Trunk Utralight with continuous loops, 15' straps between hammock and tree, toggles for a marlinspike hitch can be found in nature, cheap tarp for now with continuous ridgeline. The whole package is very small and light. We have had rain or storms almost every day this summer, though, so I haven't been able to get out in the wilderness; my new backpack remains unused:mad3:.

What's your new backpack?

I am trying to lighten my carry weight.

How many liters is your pack?

Take care,
Jason

What all do you fit in it?

Are you talking about what do you fit in your pack for an overnighter?

Also...

SORRY OFF TOPIC - You want to do a FF league this year jzuzphreek? ( I am assuming your the same person who played last year. If not, my apologies.)

Last edited:
I want a hammock really bad. Wasn't to put it in my backyard and sleep in it. I live outdoors and especially cool breezy days. With big puffy clouds.

Are you talking about what do you fit in your pack for an overnighter?

Also...

SORRY OFF TOPIC - You want to do a FF league this year jzuzphreek? ( I am assuming your the same person who played last year. If not, my apologies.)

I was asking what all you are able to fit in the 20L pack.

Do you have room for S'mores fixings?

$maxresdefault (1).jpg

$packed.jpg$Contents.jpg
I was asking what all you are able to fit in the 20L pack.

Do you have room for S'mores fixings?

Here is just an example of what a 20l backpack can hold. My pack of choice is Deuter. The water bladder next to the pack (3 liters) also has a water filter I attached to the outgoing hose. This means you can refill it at a water source if needed. The water bladder fits into the pack and the hose would run out a small hole like a camelbak.

The contents shown were packed in the top picture
1. Change of clothes
2. Knife
3. Compass
4. Small First Aid Kit
5. Flashlight
6. Firesteel
7. Paracord
8. Stove with fuel
9. Extra water container

10. and of course.... a hammock.

Not shown but should have been included
1. Map
2. Sunscreen and Bug Spray
3. Basic Tarp
4. A little bit of food
5. Cell phone
6. Small coooking pot

This is more of an overnighter type setup but it gives you ideas. I would use a 40l if going out for a night or two. With the water bladder filled, I could still carry all of the above (including what was not shown but should have been included) but it would be a tight fit.

Take care,
Jason

Last edited:
I tried to sleep in the hammock the other night. It turns out that the neighbor has a new mule, which brays loud and often. I finally gave up.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dropped the coinage on ENO Atlas straps yesterday.

I use my hiking hammock almost every weekend. For the amount of time I carry/use it, may as well have these clever straps. Hated paying the $29 but must admit the design is smart. Small "sag measure" is critical to comfort, something I realized late. With all the loops in these Atlas straps, you can dial it in precise, something that matters when you never set up twice in the same place.

Then I needed better carbiners ... (sigh).

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom