What's new

Founders KBS Beer

Wow, this looks outstanding!

$founders-kbs-xl.jpg

A staple of the rising craft beer culture are release events for special beers, done once a year and many times at the brewery only. KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing might be the best of these releases, and you can find it outside of the brewery walls as well. KBS is an imperial stout brewed with an ungodly amount of chocolate and coffee, and then aged in bourbon barrels for a full year. The other bourbon barrel coffee stouts are imitators, while KBS is the innovator. Don't pass up a chance to try this highly acclaimed beer this spring ($22).

http://uncrate.com/stuff/founders-kbs-beer/

http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/kbs/

It is outstanding and incredibly difficult to find when it's released.

No doubt.

last year whole foods was supposed to get this, along with the backwoods and dirty bastards. They ended up only getting the double trouble DIPA.

They ended up getting breakfast stout and dirty bastard later that year. The breakfast stout was amazing. I will be looking out for KBS, even if i have to drive a few extra miles to get it on tap. Hopefully i actually get to try it this year.

KBS is great beer but the hype has somewhat overshadowed the beer. People stand in line for hours to buy a bottle or two. I've even seen it re-sold above shelf prices. Crazy stuff. There are a lot of really excellent stouts sitting on the shelf every day you may want to try if you can't get your KBS fix.

A pub-type place around here got in one keg of this last year. It was gone within 2 days. I tried it ($12 for a 10 oz glass) and it was totally worth it's price tag and maybe even more. I really really really enjoyed it.

I highly enjoy breakfast stout. I got a couple growler fills of it this year. I haven't found KBS yet. Maybe next year. I'm not one to stand in line for a 12 oz bottle... If I find it when I'm at the store or if the store posts it is available on a day I have off, maybe I'll get it. :)

FBS is such a good beer that as much as I love KBS I would be hard pressed to drive around town hunting KBS when FBS is always sitting on the shelves.

OTOH, I work near two very good beer shops so hunting good beer isn't too much of a problem.

FBS is such a good beer that as much as I love KBS I would be hard pressed to drive around town hunting KBS when FBS is always sitting on the shelves.

OTOH, I work near two very good beer shops so hunting good beer isn't too much of a problem.

Are you talking about Central market? i live 5 minutes away from a Whole Foods and the beer guy said they might get KBS this year.

I work in bedford near where 121 and 183 meet so I'm pretty close to Hall's and Goody Goody in Colleyville. You wouldn't think Goody Goody would get good beer but they do. They just don't put it on the shelf or in their inventory system so nobody knows it's there. Central Market is on my way home (to Keller) and I would guess there is a really good chance they get a case of KBS. At least one of the Tarrant County Specs locations should get a case. Not sure if the Arlington/East FTW location will get it.

KBS is great beer but the hype has somewhat overshadowed the beer. People stand in line for hours to buy a bottle or two. I've even seen it re-sold above shelf prices. Crazy stuff. There are a lot of really excellent stouts sitting on the shelf every day you may want to try if you can't get your KBS fix.

Agreed. People get so worked up chasing whales when there are so many good (and local) beers on shelves that are easily available and much less expensive. Crazy, over the top beer hype is lame!

Agreed. People get so worked up chasing whales when there are so many good (and local) beers on shelves that are easily available and much less expensive. Crazy, over the top beer hype is lame!
I will stand in line with DogHair and Orchestrion on this one. I have been chasing/drinking craft beer since the late '70's, and the craft beer scene has been exploding over the past 5-10 years at an almost exponential pace. KBS and FBS are great beers from a great brewer, no doubt. But there are now so many local and regional craft brewers putting out terrific products, that it seems to me to be a waste of time and money to chase after the latest fad beers. The same thing happens with Bell's Hopslam, Three Floyd's Dark Lord, Foothill's Sexual Chocolate Stout, just to name a few. Check out your local and regional brewers, you may be surprised at what you find.

Matt

I had this at a Founders event last year. It was good, but stouts aren't my thing. I found it to be a bit over-hyped. For bourbon beers, I prefer Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. And it's relatively easy to find.

It's good but I prefer BCBS. Hell, I'll take a barrel aged (gotta be the aged version) 512 Pecan Porter over a KBS.

Oh without a doubt. I was blown away by BCBS. Also had the Coffee which was even more delicious imo. I really hope we get the barleywine.

Top Bottom