What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Was disappointed in today's weigh in. Lost 2 lbs to 442. Wanted the 441 bad, but am a pound short

Two pounds is progress, you'll get the next pound the next time!

Keep in mind that you can fluctuate at least a few pounds a day just from changes in water retention. I've just come off a week plus of three catered meals a day for work & put on nearly 10 pounds. Salty food (and not necessarily "healthy" food by any stretch of the imagination), lack of sleep, no energy for exercise, got myself a head cold to boot.

Rough week, but... A few days later and almost all of that 10 pounds is gone already, and I know almost all of it's water from a combination of pumping myself full of sodium, stress, and not enough Z's.

Moral of the story...

A day or week doesn't make or break it. Keep your eye on the trend & where you are now compared to where you started. You're still kicking butt! :thumbup1:

Just an update.

I don't know how much longer I am going to post my daily totals on my calories, as I am getting very frustrated with my technology (lack of working tech at home, and no $ to replace). I am tracking at work on my work computer, but have been struggling with remembering to add from home since the windows phone does not have a decent calorie tracking app. Am tired of being stressed out by this.

I really feel like I am hitting a brick wall in all areas of my life, and there is nothing I can do to avoid it.

Just an update.

I don't know how much longer I am going to post my daily totals on my calories, as I am getting very frustrated with my technology (lack of working tech at home, and no $ to replace). I am tracking at work on my work computer, but have been struggling with remembering to add from home since the windows phone does not have a decent calorie tracking app. Am tired of being stressed out by this.

I really feel like I am hitting a brick wall in all areas of my life, and there is nothing I can do to avoid it.

Hey Kevin. I know how you feel. I've been there myself. It gets frustrating and you want to go back to eating. I've lost 40 pounds in the past and then gained it all back again. Throwing in the towel doesn't help. I feel that if you quit posting your food/calorie info, you'll fall back into your old eating habits. I've done it time and time again over the last 5 years.

I strongly recommend just skipping the technology if it is causing an issue. I've had a lot of grand plans over the years and none of them has panned out, but one. For the last year (to the date, actually. I started on July 24, 2013) I have been taking a simple approach. I keep a small notebook with me at all times. Anything that goes in my mouth gets written into the notebook. From there, I put the information into my computer every chance I get. It doesn't matter if I go 4 hours or 4 days w/out updating my info, I always have it in the notebook, and when I get a chance, I update it on my computer.

I've tried it with smartphones, tablets, laptop, netbooks, etc. They just didn't work for me. I went back to a 50 cent notebook at WalMart and kept track that way and it has been working great for a year. Write it down, then type it up when you get a chance. It's that simple.

Stick with it and keep tracking. You need to. You're life literally depends on it.

Just an update.

Kev, don't lose hope. You've made it this far, and you and everyone else here knew you'd hit some obstacles along the way. I will concur totally with what Jeff said about the notebook. It's a simple solution to what amounts to a simple problem.

The core of this is you know what the right and wrong thing to do is. The technology is simply a tool to keep track of your status, not the driving force so don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to binge. You can either take this small bump in the road for what it is and find a way to work around it, or you can go on a binge. Your life, your choice.

If the MFP app is stressing you out then quit it fir a while.
But write down and log everything you eat. You've been doing this for a while now, you know what to eat, what size portions to eat to keep you under your goal.
You're doing great - much better then me - because you know you want to and need to succeed. Don't be making excuses now, stick with it. We're with you pal.

Kev, don't give in! You have come so far. Like others have said, don't let tech slow your progress. A note book is the best answer. Track you for you. We are here for support. Not to sound undermining, people have been doing what your doing before the advent of computer programs. You just need to change the work program to make it fit your needs. The only thing that really needs to change is your updates and total inputs online, your daily schedule can stay the same. Keep with it!

Just an update.

Too much technology can be a bear for sure. If it's getting you down then quit posting your totals for awhile! But don't quit the good eating/workouts!! You know what you ate on the good days so you have a good feel for what is required to keep losing weight....now go do it!

Hey Kevin. I know how you feel. I've been there myself. It gets frustrating and you want to go back to eating. I've lost 40 pounds in the past and then gained it all back again. Throwing in the towel doesn't help. I feel that if you quit posting your food/calorie info, you'll fall back into your old eating habits. I've done it time and time again over the last 5 years.

I strongly recommend just skipping the technology if it is causing an issue. I've had a lot of grand plans over the years and none of them has panned out, but one. For the last year (to the date, actually. I started on July 24, 2013) I have been taking a simple approach. I keep a small notebook with me at all times. Anything that goes in my mouth gets written into the notebook. From there, I put the information into my computer every chance I get. It doesn't matter if I go 4 hours or 4 days w/out updating my info, I always have it in the notebook, and when I get a chance, I update it on my computer.

I've tried it with smartphones, tablets, laptop, netbooks, etc. They just didn't work for me. I went back to a 50 cent notebook at WalMart and kept track that way and it has been working great for a year. Write it down, then type it up when you get a chance. It's that simple.

Stick with it and keep tracking. You need to. You're life literally depends on it.

I don't plan on giving up the tracking. I just am most comfortable with the smartphone app, due to conditioning myself to using it over the last 5 months. I do feel that if I don't post my daily total, then I will start to go backwards, which is why I have been so stressed about the issues I am having with the app.

Kev, don't lose hope. You've made it this far, and you and everyone else here knew you'd hit some obstacles along the way. I will concur totally with what Jeff said about the notebook. It's a simple solution to what amounts to a simple problem.

The core of this is you know what the right and wrong thing to do is. The technology is simply a tool to keep track of your status, not the driving force so don't use it as a crutch or an excuse to binge. You can either take this small bump in the road for what it is and find a way to work around it, or you can go on a binge. Your life, your choice.

I know it is my choice, and I am choosing to keep fighting for the ultimate goal. I am working on some options to overcome this barrier.

If the MFP app is stressing you out then quit it fir a while.
But write down and log everything you eat. You've been doing this for a while now, you know what to eat, what size portions to eat to keep you under your goal.
You're doing great - much better then me - because you know you want to and need to succeed. Don't be making excuses now, stick with it. We're with you pal.

Appreciate the encouragement. I know you can do it as well!!! I am not making excuses, just been discouraged this week.

Kev, don't give in! You have come so far. Like others have said, don't let tech slow your progress. A note book is the best answer. Track you for you. We are here for support. Not to sound undermining, people have been doing what your doing before the advent of computer programs. You just need to change the work program to make it fit your needs. The only thing that really needs to change is your updates and total inputs online, your daily schedule can stay the same. Keep with it!

Change is not one of my strong characteristics, and all indications at work are pointing to everything in my life is about to change drastically.......

Too much technology can be a bear for sure. If it's getting you down then quit posting your totals for awhile! But don't quit the good eating/workouts!! You know what you ate on the good days so you have a good feel for what is required to keep losing weight....now go do it!

I am still fighting the good fight. Yesterday was a rough day. 2,813 of 3100.

I posted on another forum for app suggestions for Windows Phone, and was recommended a program called fatsecret. I tried to set a login for that app with my fakebook account, and when I logged in, I saw where I used it for a couple of days in 2010 back on the BlackBerry. I will post that day for your viewing pleasure.

$food 10.jpg

+1 on using a notebook in lieu of the app. You an always enter it later.

Case in point, I rarely log my dinners at that particular time, but I'll always come back in the morning and log it :)

Plus a notebook feeds your fountain pen fun ;)

As far as work ... I hear ya. Things are like that here too. My plan is to work up to my vacation with my kids in two weeks, then enjoy the hell out of that week. After that, I plan to step up looking for a job that I really like. This place is just too unsettled and somewhat back-stabby.

I have type 2 diabetes for 12 years, and while my weight is only about 205, I should be about 185. My doctor said the same thing about walking being a good exercise, but after work I want to relax with the TV. His answer to that was to march in one spot every time a commercial came on, making sure I lifted my foot completely for each step. I tried it the other night and was beat by bed time. I don't have a pedometer but I felt as if I had walked for miles. This might be a good way to start exercising. Give it a try and good luck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That's right GregS ... there's no law saying you have to watch TV from a seated position. Get up and walk around!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Some stuff you can control, and some stuff you can't.

Focus on what you can control, keep at it, and gain satisfaction not from "results" but from "doing the right thing" each and every time you do it. Example: yesterday, I was travelling for work. Late in the afternoon, I needed a coffee, and went to Tim Hortons. I toyed with the idea of getting a 20-pack of Timbits (aka doughnut holes, y'all) in theory to take home to my son who loves them, but I knew I'd eat half or more on the way home, and didn't need that. So I skipped it. Oh, I was tempted, but ... no.

You have been doing this long enough to know what decisions to make, regardless of whether you have a smartphone app or not ... [yodavoice] the app within you it is. Have become the app have you. [/yodavoice]

I know it is my choice, and I am choosing to keep fighting for the ultimate goal. I am working on some options to overcome this barrier.

Good!

Change is not one of my strong characteristics, and all indications at work are pointing to everything in my life is about to change drastically.......

You get to choose your fate:

a) everything is changing around me, and much not for the better, but I'm still sticking to my diet plan and losing weight for my health

b) everything is changing around me, and much not for the better, so my diet has gone to hell in a handbasket

Yesterday was a rough day. 2,813 of 3100.

You are too hard on yourself, Kev.

3100 is what you need to hit daily (more or less, give or take) to ... achieve your goal. Almost 300 under ... that's a day of which you should be proud.

Breakfast with the lady is always fun. Sometimes so much fun we do it for dinner. So what did ya make for the both of you that came out so well? Make it from scratch with lots of love? You hitting the gym this weekend, nice walk in the park mayhap with the wife along too. We know you've been stressed lately, what can you do this weekend to tune your head rig the?

Plan is for gym tomorrow. Been out straight all day. I know I am over today. Fatsecret is working on the phone, and it is showing higher calorie totals than my fitness pal. Not complaining. Will use myfitnesspal to update calorie totals. still really stressed, but had a moment of peace today, after a meeting. one day at a time. I learned pizza hut will make ones stomach feel like a star wars battle is going on

Top Bottom