What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Realized one of the reasons I am sabotaging myself in this journey with the more days over. We cannot afford clothes for me as I lose the weight and shrink to new sizes.

This is harsh, but true. If you can afford the junk food for the binge, or the trips through the drive thru for fast food, you can afford a new shirt and new trousers.

I'm a big guy, I know how hard and expensive it is to find clothing that fits in uncommon sizes but you can't run around naked and that's frankly a pretty lame excuse to use for a binge. It's all about the priorities. Bag of Cheetos now, or do you save that $2.00 towards some new clothes? Is there a tailor/seamstress in your area that may be able to modify some of your existing clothes?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ok. Tonight I am feeling down. I am weary and want to go on a food binge. I know it's not good but I am out of low calorie snacks and I just want to pig out.

All kidding aside, there are "moments" where you do the right thing or the wrong thing. Doing either is a "learned response", so either becomes easier the more you repeat it, and becomes a habit. Breaking the bad habits, and creating good ones, is hard. It's good that you spot this "down" feeling, and realise that a binge may be coming ... and try to avoid it.

The more you do this, the more you will be able to change your stress-n-depression response from "eat food" to something else. Your new habit doesn't have to be "go for a run" or "100 push-ups" or anything psychotically athletic, just something to "do" that you can enjoy and occupy yourself and perhaps even cheer yourself up a bit.

Realized one of the reasons I am sabotaging myself in this journey with the more days over. We cannot afford clothes for me as I lose the weight and shrink to new sizes.

Nothing wrong with wearing baggy clothes for a while. Just tell people you are a rapper.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is harsh, but true. If you can afford the junk food for the binge, or the trips through the drive thru for fast food, you can afford a new shirt and new trousers.

I'm a big guy, I know how hard and expensive it is to find clothing that fits in uncommon sizes but you can't run around naked and that's frankly a pretty lame excuse to use for a binge. It's all about the priorities. Bag of Cheetos now, or do you save that $2.00 towards some new clothes? Is there a tailor/seamstress in your area that may be able to modify some of your existing clothes?

+1. Or for now, just save the money you'd spend on junk food and buy a cheap belt and some safety pins. Admittedly, it won't look that great, but everyone will understand why you're doing it and probably offer support for your efforts. You could also check out a local goodwill, thrift store, Salvation Army, etc., for gently used clothes that fit. You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff in all sizes that's out there.

Also, I don't buy that's why you're sabotaging yourself. I haven't read through a lot of your old posts recently, but if memory serves me correctly, your wife is only half-heartedly on board with your efforts. I'm not intimating that she also needs to try to live a healthier lifestyle, but until she is fully behind your efforts, you'll see a lot of bad days as you get closer to your goals.

+1. Or for now, just save the money you'd spend on junk food and buy a cheap belt and some safety pins. Admittedly, it won't look that great, but everyone will understand why you're doing it and probably offer support for your efforts. You could also check out a local goodwill, thrift store, Salvation Army, etc., for gently used clothes that fit. You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff in all sizes that's out there.

Also, I don't buy that's why you're sabotaging yourself. I haven't read through a lot of your old posts recently, but if memory serves me correctly, your wife is only half-heartedly on board with your efforts. I'm not intimating that she also needs to try to live a healthier lifestyle, but until she is fully behind your efforts, you'll see a lot of bad days as you get closer to your goals.
You hit the nail on the head. As long as we both are not fighting towards the same goal it does become a battle with chips candy and junk lying around. goodwill foes not normally carry above a 42 waist pant or XXL shirts both are still too small for me. I have been looking and I do get a piece when I find it. I just am looking at the whole daunting task of needing a new wardrobe instead of focusing on it piece by piece.

There's a site I check out from time to time, they have some pretty good clearance items on occasion. Don't know what you need for work, but t-shirts I just saw for around $8. Decent polo style shirts for about $15.
kingsizedirect.com

You hit the nail on the head. As long as we both are not fighting towards the same goal it does become a battle with chips candy and junk lying around. goodwill foes not normally carry above a 42 waist pant or XXL shirts both are still too small for me. I have been looking and I do get a piece when I find it. I just am looking at the whole daunting task of needing a new wardrobe instead of focusing on it piece by piece.

Figure out how to afford new clothing or your wife will be figuring out how to pay for a casket.
Seriously... cost of clothing is no excuse to sabotage yourself. Your life is worth more to those around you than $50 for a new shirt and pants.

Kevin, you know from the other thread I started in The Haberdashery that I'm in the exact same boat. I went through my clothes over the weekend and I have exactly 2 pairs of pants and 6 shirts that actually fit. After 25 lbs lost, everything is either too big or comically too big.

Do you, your wife, or friends and family have any sewing experience? I didn't know it until I said something, but my mother used to take in and let out my dad's pants and shirts. She's going to see if she can take in two pairs of trousers (if she does, that'll double my pants wardrobe, ha!). You might look into tailoring instead of buying new… might be cheaper to spend $10-15 to get a shirt or pants brought in that you already own than to spend more on new. At some point there's only so much you can do, though, and your almost 50 lbs lost (felt really good to type that, by the way) might mean tailoring isn't an option.

I plan on getting new clothes the same way I'm losing weight: a little at a time, either by getting one item per paycheck or by setting a little money aside for the next time a sale crops up. I'd love to go to town and get a whole new wardrobe that fits, but I'm only halfway to where I want to be with my weight loss.

Yeah, it's a problem, but remember that this is a good problem!

I plan on getting new clothes the same way I'm losing weight: a little at a time, either by getting one item per paycheck or by setting a little money aside for the next time a sale crops up. I'd love to go to town and get a whole new wardrobe that fits, but I'm only halfway to where I want to be with my weight loss.

Yeah, it's a problem, but remember that this is a good problem!

Plus buying a whole new wardrobe over and over would get expensive and frustrating. A new shirt or pants here and there is a cheaper option as you keep shrinking in size. Soon enough you will be able to find used stuff local.

Start yourself an anti-binge jar. Every time you want to to binge and stop yourself, add up the money you would have saved and bank it in your jar. After just a couple times there should be enough for an article. Its also a good visual reminder.

Sorry things can be tense for you and the wife. You do really well with all the temptation in your face. The more you resolve to stick with it, the better you will feel in the future. You are only one person and can't force the world to change. My wife and I might not agree on each others choices all the time, but still support each other during those non-agreeable times. Hopefully with some support you can find a happy middle with your wife.

Kev...that is a GOOD problem to have my friend! Keep up the good work and dig deep for the motivation.

When you're wearing size 36s you'll chuckle when you think back to how you're feeling now.

Kev...that is a GOOD problem to have my friend! Keep up the good work and dig deep for the motivation.

When you're wearing size 36s you'll chuckle when you think back to how you're feeling now.
It is a good problem to have. On my holiday day off today already spent time at the gym. I am fighting through these things I have shared. I just want to be honest with all aspects of this fight as I know there are others that are doing the same, and many times people only see the good parts of a situation.

It is a good problem to have. On my holiday day off today already spent time at the gym. I am fighting through these things I have shared. I just want to be honest with all aspects of this fight as I know there are others that are doing the same, and many times people only see the good parts of a situation.

Your honesty is great! The reality of it is that it is tough and painful to lose weight and a helluva lot easier to put it back on. The fact that you hit the gym today is a plus...now follow it up with an under calorie day and you've won the fight for at least today!

Oh....and keep up the honesty. This thread will be very motivational and realistic to others trying to shed pounds.

Sorry for not updating the totals from MFP.

Monday was 3066 of 3100

Tuesday was 2771 of 3100.

I had a large Coke last night with the late night meal and i could not sleep due to feeling nauseous and feeling like I just had an energy drink (heart palpitations and all).

Bad news is I drank a large Coke. Good news is that my body is rejecting the large quantity of soda. I don't understand how I could drink 2-4 of those cups with no issues 6 months ago......

Also had a teeth cleaning the other day. The dentist said my teeth look better than they did (not counting the damage I had done in the past), and was proud of me that I have cut way back on the soda. Still have the occasional one, but am wanting more water/coffee/milk these days.

Sorry for not updating the totals from MFP.

Monday was 3066 of 3100

Tuesday was 2771 of 3100.

I had a large Coke last night with the late night meal and i could not sleep due to feeling nauseous and feeling like I just had an energy drink (heart palpitations and all).

Bad news is I drank a large Coke. Good news is that my body is rejecting the large quantity of soda. I don't understand how I could drink 2-4 of those cups with no issues 6 months ago......

Also had a teeth cleaning the other day. The dentist said my teeth look better than they did (not counting the damage I had done in the past), and was proud of me that I have cut way back on the soda. Still have the occasional one, but am wanting more water/coffee/milk these days.

Soda is a true killer...of waists, teeth and everything else! Congrats on the past couple of days mate!!

agreed on knocking off the soda ... it's truly awful stuff

+1

I'm 51 and have only one filling... and last trip to a (new) dentist, he had trouble locating it. I pointed it out, and he asked why I had it, that my old dentist must have done it to pad the charges to Delta.
I have not taken good care of my teeth. Visit to the dentist every 10 years, frequently miss a day (or two) brushing, NEVER floss, though I'll occasionally run a dental pick around them.
With the recent job change I've been taking better care of things overall because I need to be presentable, and frankly, I prefer being cleaner anyways, and this includes regular visits to the dentist.

As a child, mom limited us to no more than one can per day.
The only exception was when we went out to eat, but we were not allowed a refill... so it was one can from the 'fridge and a 16oz from wherever we went.
Got older, moved out, started drinking more, and started to find that it made me gassy.
I had always liked unsweetened iced tea, and for the most part, other than alcohol, that's about all I drink besides water.

500ml of diet coke & I'm farting & burping like a trooper. Can't imagine how entertaining some of the comedy US cup sizes would be....

Top Bottom