What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I am falling off the wagon. Someone help me!

Kev, maybe if you take a look back to the start of this journey of yours here and Haggises response it will help you to refocus.

I have always been overweight and its literally talk Ng my life away from me. I currently am 500 lbs and can hardly walk up the flight of stairs to go to bed. I want to lose weight but I struggle with sticking to a routine and cannot afford to join a gym. I wish I could he lower than 300, whenever I start any type of weight loss I go good for about a week, then it all falls apart. I am not going to be around too much longer if I do not do something dramatic soon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin, I wish you all the best and hope you can tackle this successfully. But first you have to accept the facts and not be in denial.

Denials in red, excuses in green. Reasons in Black
$quote_icon.pngOriginally Posted by kevdogg329
viewpost-right.png

its literally taking my life away from me.

I want to lose weight but I struggle with sticking to a routine and cannot afford to join a gym.

whenever I start any type of weight loss I go good for about a week, then it all falls apart.

I am not going to be around too much longer if I do not do something dramatic soon.

$quote_icon.pngOriginally Posted by kevdogg329
viewpost-right.png

which keeps the doc visits to a minimum of when I am sick and need meds for healing.

but I don't know if I have the 'why' yet.

I do not know how to cook many items, and those things I know how to cook are bad for me

Also my wife likes to have dinner waiting on me, however I never was taught to eat healthy, so I struggle with liking healthy food.

I do not do a lot of the grocery shopping, so I have access to what my wife gets at the store.

It does not help when the bad food is cheap and the good food is expensive.

I stopped tracking as I was getting disappointed at how much of a pig I really was, and always gave in to my food desires.

While you can certainly start with baby steps, or you can make dramatic changes, the only way you will meet your goal is if you have the will to do it. If you go into anything at half-committed you will fail.
Read the items in green, ask yourself why these need to be so.
Read the lines in red, ask yourself who you are trying to kid?
Read the lines in black. Make more lines in black. Convince yourself you are going to do this. Engage with your wife. Convince her you are going to do this. If she is making your meals she needs to be making you better healthier meals.

I apologize if this comes across as mean. I hope you can see that is not the intent at all! I needed the same conversation with myself on quitting smoking. I need the same conversation with myself on losing weight.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

You did not come across as mean at all. I really appreciate you being brutally honest with me.

Also I just re-downloaded the MyFitnessPal onto my phone and am going to start to track my food intake.

Phew :)
Good luck, kev. Get your mind around it first - your body will follow.

And that is going to be the biggest part of this battle. I have 30 years of un-programming to do

So far you really have been doing a great job overall. Do not look at it as falling off the wagon. Your wagon just took you on a little vacation. :biggrin:

Now get back to working on this already much healthier new you! :w00t:

I did suggest hypnosis.
Not sure if you have tried it & it didn't work or you are against it for some other reason, but it can be beneficial for someone looking to break the
low self-esteem -> comfort eating -> weight gain -> low self-esteem
cycle.
There are hypnotherapists who specialize in treating eating disorders & I would imagine it's at least worth a shot....

Falling off the wagon is a normal part of progression that is now being understood as something you often need to do before you can go forward. Sometimes the only thing you can do is control the fall and get back up and move forward. Now, is this a fall you have to take our are you just a little tired and frustrated? Be honest with yourself and keep moving forward as your mood will change.

What words will help you? Look in the mirror my friend, look at how far you've come. Badger & Blade didn't get you this far...you did it all by yourself.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Just know you have a ton of folks rooting for you...knowing what you're going through is incredibly tough...and also knowing you can achieve your goals if you dig deep and find the drive.

Kev, just letting you know that your thread is keeping me on my wagon so to speak. Tracking my caloric intake and hitting the gym after taking 9 months off from what was a pretty good streak due to overtime and getting to work late. It certainly isn't the most fun thing in the world to do, but it is certainly doable. I get up earlier now and I don't allow my excuses to stop me from hitting the gym or from forgoing the deliciously unhealthy foods the have available here for ones that keep me under my caloric goal.

Nice work, Kev. Although you didn't always reach your goal, only a few days were really high. And what happenned yesterday? Under 1,000 calories?

Top Bottom