What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Your doing a great job. Hang in there.

proxy.php

Your doing a great job. Hang in there.

proxy.php

I am. Yesterday was rough, and I had a 1600 calorie mid day snack (second lunch...)

dude...that was a good day!

Yesterday was not as good...it was 3140 of 3100.

After my big after lunch meal, I cut way back on supper and had a low calorie snack before bed.

Today I am pressing forward and planning on going to the gym after a 2 day break due to weather/teaching at church.

You are on course and have a good solid grip on where you want to go.

That is the main thing. Sticking with "your plan" and it sounds like you have done a good job of this.

When you do slip up, you make up for it later on which is where you want to keep your head.

You are on course and have a good solid grip on where you want to go.

That is the main thing. Sticking with "your plan" and it sounds like you have done a good job of this.

When you do slip up, you make up for it later on which is where you want to keep your head.

I am at least trying to do better. I know I need to eat healthier foods, but this journey is like raising a child. first you babble, then you start to crawl, then you learn to walk, then you can run, then drive, and some even have the chance to soar like an eagle. I am still in the crawling stage, trying to walk with help. Better than being at the babbling stage :thumbup:

Ok, Kev, as a little bonus motivation: this thread has now become a sticky.

You are doing an amazing job of regaining control of your body, and we are all proud of you and 100% behind you. Stop and reflect for a moment and let your hard fought accomplishments sink in for a minute. You have got this, and YOU are in control now.

Kev,

I've been continuing to follow your journey and you are doing great! I'm very impressed with how you are learning to manage your tough days, and very pleased to see you going to the gym. You really have been an inspiration to many here, and that is something you should be very proud of!

Speak of being an inspiration, a couple months ago I posted here that you have inspired me to start my own journey in getting back into shape. Several years ago I injured my leg- to the extent that before physio I could barely walk. As a result of this and other factors I put on weight.

When I posted that I was starting to log with MFP back in late April I weighed somewhere between 195-200lbs. I'm not a big guy, even at that weight I only wore 34" waist pants. By late May I weighed just under 190, and was feeling pretty pleased with how clothes fit. As of today I weigh 177. More importantly, I feel healthier, stronger, and better about myself than I have in years.

I've always been an outdoorsy person, and the combination of strengthening my bad leg, and taking strain off of it by losing weight has allowed me to get back into hiking and backpacking.

Tomorrow, after ramping up many day trips over little while, I'm setting off on my first solo-overnight in over 5 years. 9.5 miles one way, but about about 2500' elevation change. I'm so excited I can't sleep! An interesting coincidence is that my pack weight puts me almost exactly where I started off in April.

180lbs was my original goal, which is about what I weighed before my injury. I'm now aiming for 165, which is more or less what I weighed in high school.

I really don't think I would have done this without you as inspiration, I hope on the tough days the rest of us can inspire you in return.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Congratulations Kev on becoming a sticky! :w00t:

:blink: ...... Just don't go running around shouting that out to people outside of B&B. It might sound a little strange, if you know what I mean.

@ Chris Murphy, congratulations on how well your doing on your own journey! :thumbup1:

Ok, Kev, as a little bonus motivation: this thread has now become a sticky.

You are doing an amazing job of regaining control of your body, and we are all proud of you and 100% behind you. Stop and reflect for a moment and let your hard fought accomplishments sink in for a minute. You have got this, and YOU are in control now.

Making the thread a sticky blows my mind that I have something useful to contribute to such a wonderful forum :thumbup:

Me being in control is more true than I realize. Like i said yesterday I am learning how to walk on my own in this journey, and I am doing a lot better today than I was even a month ago. Yesterday, I had a colossal lunch again (1767 calories). I adjusted my dinner calories down to 340 calories, however I went over with a 150 calorie ice cream cone (treat for myself after weighing in and losing 2 more lbs....down to 444, 47 lost now). After working out at the gym, I was craving a late night snack, and did not want my normal popcorn, nor anything too heavy, so I had 2 English muffins with peanut butter and 0 calorie spray butter that gives butter flavor without the calories. (use it on my popcorn and corn as well, and had helped a lot).

Totals was 3,352 of 3100. I also went to the gym and worked off most of the extra (the weight lifting did not remove calories, but the deficit was 29 calories after adding in the gym :thumbup:

Kev,

I've been continuing to follow your journey and you are doing great! I'm very impressed with how you are learning to manage your tough days, and very pleased to see you going to the gym. You really have been an inspiration to many here, and that is something you should be very proud of!

Speak of being an inspiration, a couple months ago I posted here that you have inspired me to start my own journey in getting back into shape. Several years ago I injured my leg- to the extent that before physio I could barely walk. As a result of this and other factors I put on weight.

When I posted that I was starting to log with MFP back in late April I weighed somewhere between 195-200lbs. I'm not a big guy, even at that weight I only wore 34" waist pants. By late May I weighed just under 190, and was feeling pretty pleased with how clothes fit. As of today I weigh 177. More importantly, I feel healthier, stronger, and better about myself than I have in years.

I've always been an outdoorsy person, and the combination of strengthening my bad leg, and taking strain off of it by losing weight has allowed me to get back into hiking and backpacking.

Tomorrow, after ramping up many day trips over little while, I'm setting off on my first solo-overnight in over 5 years. 9.5 miles one way, but about about 2500' elevation change. I'm so excited I can't sleep! An interesting coincidence is that my pack weight puts me almost exactly where I started off in April.

180lbs was my original goal, which is about what I weighed before my injury. I'm now aiming for 165, which is more or less what I weighed in high school.

I really don't think I would have done this without you as inspiration, I hope on the tough days the rest of us can inspire you in return.

Chris,

I am very pleased that my journey has inspired you to work on getting into shape, and has inspired you to take such a journey. I do draw strength for you all on here on the tough days, and I also feel that I need to share my battles here, as many face the same battles I face. Also where are you making your trek at? It sounds like a grueling trip with such an elevation change.

Speaking of battles, I had a heart to heart with my wife recently about my journey and how I felt about feeling sabotaged by her on this journey. She told me that she is very proud of me for sticking with this journey and for going to the gym, and making it a point to do so (I had thought she was jealous of me going and did not want me going). She told me that she needs to do the same, but she is intimidated by going to the gym, as she is very self-conscious, and afraid that people are going to judge her because she is overweight as well.

She also understood about the junk food being in the house and she sees my point about not having it in the house because I still cannot control myself with it there. We will find out next shopping trip how that works out. I am not tempted by potato chips like i was (the last couple i sniped tasted oily and salty, not like I remembered, and I walked away from the bag). Helps when a survival show showed lighting corn chips as a way to carry fire from the oil in them. Cakes, donuts and candy are still not a good idea in the home for me. I hope if they are brought in, they are in small quantity or hidden from me.

Congratulations Kev on becoming a sticky! :w00t:

:blink: ...... Just don't go running around shouting that out to people outside of B&B. It might sound a little strange, if you know what I mean.

@ Chris Murphy, congratulations on how well your doing on your own journey! :thumbup1:

Thanks!. I know that look when I mention this forum to my wife...it's like what are you talking about. It's like her talking Pintrist to me...a foreign language.

Glad to hear you had the heart to heart with your wife. Her support of your journey will make it much easier for you. If she also decides to try to get into shape/lose weight, it may also bring you closer as a couple as you do activities together (walks together instead of sitting on the couch and eating/watching TV or whatever). Also, tell her not to be intimidated by the gym. It's been my experience that a lot of the people at my gym are too busy to care what anyone else looks like. We want to get in, work out, and get out. Others will encourage her to keep at it and be impressed by her desire to get into shape. Finally, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. She is there for her. Everyone else can pound sand.

Wow...tough convo Kev...thx for sharing it! I'm glad to her that she is on board to some extent. It's hard to convince anyone self conscious of this...but the only one who should care about her gym time is her...it's making her healthier and able to live a longer life! If people look at her and she notices the looks...I know what thoughts would be going through my head (lots of profanities and I'll show you type thoughts LOL).

Speaking of battles, I had a heart to heart with my wife recently about my journey and how I felt about feeling sabotaged by her on this journey. She told me that she is very proud of me for sticking with this journey and for going to the gym, and making it a point to do so (I had thought she was jealous of me going and did not want me going). She told me that she needs to do the same, but she is intimidated by going to the gym, as she is very self-conscious, and afraid that people are going to judge her because she is overweight as well.

She also understood about the junk food being in the house and she sees my point about not having it in the house because I still cannot control myself with it there. We will find out next shopping trip how that works out. I am not tempted by potato chips like i was (the last couple i sniped tasted oily and salty, not like I remembered, and I walked away from the bag). Helps when a survival show showed lighting corn chips as a way to carry fire from the oil in them. Cakes, donuts and candy are still not a good idea in the home for me. I hope if they are brought in, they are in small quantity or hidden from me.

How you shop and what you buy will determine how you eat.

If your wife is on board this is the biggest hurtle you have overcome. If she can support your efforts and see herself making improvements by also changing her eating habits you are well on your way.

Be very careful of "substitutes". Most of them are far worse for you than the product they replace. Butter is NOT bad. Eating a stick a day IS bad though. Diet cola is worse for you than regular HFCS cola and that is awful for your body.

You may want to try to cut out one bad item a month. Take a full month and try to ween yourself off of soft drinks. Then the next month try to remove chocolates (well it might take more than a month as coca is a hard one to let go).

If you can remove one bad/unhealthy item a month from your daily intake you will be a lot healthier even if you do not lose as much weight as you are after.

Oh and congrats on the sticky. You now have more of a reason to work harder to make yourself healthier as you know ALL of B&B is behind you 1000%

Congrats Kev.
Seems that getting to the gym has really helped you turn a corner in your attitude.
Just look at what you are doing at the gym today, and imagine trying to do that 6 months ago!

Congrats Kev.
Seems that getting to the gym has really helped you turn a corner in your attitude.
Just look at what you are doing at the gym today, and imagine trying to do that 6 months ago!
I would be in the hospital with something gone wrong

Maybe you need something more heavy duty than this, but I did very well on weight watchers. I went on the plan in dec 2012. I weight 223 at the time. by june of the next year I was down to 190. I took a pause for a while and went on maintenance then I went back and lost more. now I am about 180 and I am back on maintenance.

whatever plan you choose, please go slowly. I have heard of people losing two or three hundred pounds...so it is possible....

another option might be something like OA (overeaters anonymous ). countless people have benefitted from that

Kev,

Glad to hear that the sit down with the wife went well. Sounds like you walked away happy and surprised. Good to hear she really supports you, especially since you thought she had issues with the gym and other stuff.

To me it seems she might be nervous and a bit scared, that's alright. She's probably just glad to know that your there for her support and not force her into the lifestyle changes you are making. Another chance for you to lead by example.

Hopefully you can help her start off slow, like yourself, with the exception that you've done all the basic beginning footwork. You've already found the healthy alternatives for snacks and meals, plus your starting work out. You tore down a wall starting off, now just need to teach her how to wade through the rubble. Mayhap have her help you "clean house" on her way past the broken wall and rubble. An extra heart, head and pair of hands makes life go by easier.

As for grocery shopping, do you and Mrs kdogg shop together? If not, now is a good time to start, or take that responsibility on yourself. It's good for quality time together, learning and teaching, and a bit of exercise. You get to observe what she goes for and her triggers are, and be able to brainstorm better options for the both of you on the spot and bring them to life.

Do you grocery shop to a full plan list, or (like me) do you have short list of essentials (coffee butter eggs etc) and shop for weekly sales to make up the rest? Both work well, the second option forces you to have a bit more control mentally though. Have you learned and applied new shopping methods to your journey?

My suggestions for your next shopping trips.

1. Never​ go hungry, have a snack before you shop. Keeps your head on the job and not your gut. (I live by this rule. I spend less money total, find betters values and buy more positive/healthy foods. Even if I'm not hungry I have a bite just so my belly doesn't have a vote in the store.)

2. Stay out of the "middle" of the store, shop the outer edges. (most stores are setup to a pattern. Highly processed unhealthy foods live on shelves in the middle. Healthy natural "real" foods live in coolers on the outer edges.) {thank you "supersize vs superskinny" for reaffirming this}

3. Use a two list system. Have a regular grocery list and a "not in my basket list". (not in my basket list is more important and should be made and readable before you go. You know what needs to be on it. Gives your will power something to stand against in the store. Also it's a way to compromise with the wife about what junk is allowed in, and gives her a good starting point to "lose with".)

4. Shop when your local grocery is a ghost town, it's less stressful. (just like hunger you don't want to shop stressed either. You've told us that stress is one of your triggers for binge out, don't need that when your making your weekly meal choices. I go late night or middle of the night during midnight stock. Nobody's there, the staff leaves me alone, and I get pick of the litter from new stock going up.

5. Farmers market. Go right to the source, save money, get better quality and value products, support your local economy and community.

I bet others will share some good shopping tips here in a bit, I hope to learn something new.

Your totals have been looking good and sounds like your attitude has been in the right place. I've just been missing the lunch/dinner pics. If you can't get pics up maybe try and tell us what your having so we can make suggestions.

All in all great job sir, keep up the good work. Congrats on becoming a sticky inspiration for our little corner of the universe.

Kev,

Glad to hear that the sit down with the wife went well. Sounds like you walked away happy and surprised. Good to hear she really supports you, especially since you thought she had issues with the gym and other stuff.

To me it seems she might be nervous and a bit scared, that's alright. She's probably just glad to know that your there for her support and not force her into the lifestyle changes you are making. Another chance for you to lead by example.

Hopefully you can help her start off slow, like yourself, with the exception that you've done all the basic beginning footwork. You've already found the healthy alternatives for snacks and meals, plus your starting work out. You tore down a wall starting off, now just need to teach her how to wade through the rubble. Mayhap have her help you "clean house" on her way past the broken wall and rubble. An extra heart, head and pair of hands makes life go by easier.

As for grocery shopping, do you and Mrs kdogg shop together? If not, now is a good time to start, or take that responsibility on yourself. It's good for quality time together, learning and teaching, and a bit of exercise. You get to observe what she goes for and her triggers are, and be able to brainstorm better options for the both of you on the spot and bring them to life.

Do you grocery shop to a full plan list, or (like me) do you have short list of essentials (coffee butter eggs etc) and shop for weekly sales to make up the rest? Both work well, the second option forces you to have a bit more control mentally though. Have you learned and applied new shopping methods to your journey?

My suggestions for your next shopping trips.

1. Never​ go hungry, have a snack before you shop. Keeps your head on the job and not your gut. (I live by this rule. I spend less money total, find betters values and buy more positive/healthy foods. Even if I'm not hungry I have a bite just so my belly doesn't have a vote in the store.)

2. Stay out of the "middle" of the store, shop the outer edges. (most stores are setup to a pattern. Highly processed unhealthy foods live on shelves in the middle. Healthy natural "real" foods live in coolers on the outer edges.) {thank you "supersize vs superskinny" for reaffirming this}

3. Use a two list system. Have a regular grocery list and a "not in my basket list". (not in my basket list is more important and should be made and readable before you go. You know what needs to be on it. Gives your will power something to stand against in the store. Also it's a way to compromise with the wife about what junk is allowed in, and gives her a good starting point to "lose with".)

4. Shop when your local grocery is a ghost town, it's less stressful. (just like hunger you don't want to shop stressed either. You've told us that stress is one of your triggers for binge out, don't need that when your making your weekly meal choices. I go late night or middle of the night during midnight stock. Nobody's there, the staff leaves me alone, and I get pick of the litter from new stock going up.

5. Farmers market. Go right to the source, save money, get better quality and value products, support your local economy and community.

I bet others will share some good shopping tips here in a bit, I hope to learn something new.

Your totals have been looking good and sounds like your attitude has been in the right place. I've just been missing the lunch/dinner pics. If you can't get pics up maybe try and tell us what your having so we can make suggestions.

All in all great job sir, keep up the good work. Congrats on becoming a sticky inspiration for our little corner of the universe.

Man I miss the Farmers Market we used to go to in Va...

Top Bottom