What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

I remember micks thread! His stew looks awesome, and I'm not an olive fan. Other stuff on there looked good too, Aarons Thai chicken for example.

Kev, how bout you kick us a list of some of the things you like to have for meals or dishes that seem interesting to you. We can come up with ideas for preparation or alternatives.

Just think that on your journey to weight loss, the wonderful world of great and amazing foods has opened up for you.

Yesterday was 2434 of 3100. Today was 4328 of 3100.

I t no longer have the android and am relying on tablet to keep online. Updates will not be as timely but will try my best to keep up with my food journal.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405913957.447400.jpg. This week in food calories. Keep in mind it takes into account exercise

Last edited:
Looking good Kev!

I haven't had time to work out my beef stew recipe (I for the most part wing that one, so I need to sit down and go through each step in my head), but below is a no-frills mild curry recipe for you to try, curry doesn't have to be spicy. This recipe is based on my grandfathers British style curry but tweaked to be healthier and easier to prepare.

Basic Curry

1 tbsp. canola oil or similar
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large onion
3 large carrots
2 red peppers chopped
1 large zucchini sliced
mushrooms
1 c. frozen peas
.5 c. sultana raisins
2-3 sweet potatoes/yams/potatoes
1-2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp garam masala (mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices, you probably have most if not all on hand)
1 tbsp. white flour
1-2 tbsp. tomato paste
~1 c. yogurt/coconut milk/milk (I've liked greek yogurt lately, probably avoid coconut milk)
2-3 c. low sodium stock (veg, beef, or chicken, doesn't matter)
2 c. water

Optional:
Lentils, cashews, tofu, lamb, chicken, cauliflower, black eyed peas, parsnips, eggplant or just about anything else you want to try throwing in.

Directions:

Smash garlic and chop onion (I like things coarsely chopped in curry, but it's up to individual preference), place in large pot with oil, stir to coat onions with oil and cook until starting to turn translucent and fragrant. Add chopped carrot and continue to cook until carrot begins to soften, then add 1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tbsp flour, stir to coat evenly and break up any balls the flour forms.

Add water, stock, and sweet potatoes (again, i like coarsely chopped with skin on), bring to boil and cook until sweet potatoes begin to soften. add yogurt or milk, tomato paste, garam masala (I would add chilli powder or flakes at this point, which is where the curry gets it's spiciness from if you want it spicy). Taste, adjust spices if desired (eg. more curry powder).

From this point you add your remaining ingredients in order of what takes the longest to cook, though you can just throw them all in at once without too much of a problem. Hold the raisins until near the end or they can get too soft. Continue cooking until all ingredients are done, break up potatoes with your spoon and stir in to thicken desired amount.

Serve either on it's own, or on rice, bread, quinoa, etc.

Generally I'll get about 6+ servings of just curry or 10+ of curry on rice or other base. Takes about an hour to prep and cook if memory serves, but most of that is chopping veggies, and waiting for the potatoes to cook. Freezes very well. Hardboiled eggs make a good side, and mango chutney is a nice condiment (I make my own, the store bought stuff is loaded with sugar and rather expensive, so maybe skip). Left over meat from previous meals can be added at the end (I usually just do veggy though), or cook fresh meat separately and add near the end.

Last edited:
+1, that looks like progress to me. At that rate you are going to drop a pound every week or two, and by Christmas you are going to be down about two more sizes!

Kev that is awesome sir. Your weekly is below your estimated goal, you skipped almost a days worth of intake, break out the victory song bro.

Still wish the overages were less....and hope I got the totals right as I am having to wait until I get to my tablet or PC at work to enter totals, as the Windows phone app is still broke and its all I have to use currently.

Lost 2 lbs to 442. I am almost 50 pounds lighter than when I started this journey.

FTFY, way to go, Kev. Every day that you live better is extending your life. That means more time with your wife, family, and friends. The scale just shows you a number. This thread, and how you feel, shows the real story. Just think about where you were 6 months ago. You sir, are eating better, going to the gym....hell, you have mentioned on several occasions that junk foods don't even taste good anymore.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are saving your own life and inspiring others to do the same.

First time I've seen this thread, but just wanted to chime in and say "Keep going Kev!" I'm on Weight Watchers (online, not meetings) and when I first started tracking it was eye-opening how much crap I was eating that I didn't even realize I was eating. I lost 20 pounds on it the first time, then slowly crept back up to where I started. I'm back on the plan now and slowly taking the weight off again. I've got quite a way to go to where I want to be, but I'll get there.

We're all here for you! Don't give up!

Top Bottom