What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Weight is a difficult thing to struggle with. I'm in the process of working on mine again and I've made good progress so far. I believe a great deal can be done by focusing on basics eating healthy and exercising.

Here are my personal rules and some of them might work for you:

Rule 0 - Willpower, for me, begins at the grocery store and ends at the checkout line.
If something tastes good and is in my house, them I'm going to eat it. If it is really tasty, like a bag of chips, it probably won't make it home. The only way I can control what I eat is not to buy stuff I shouldn't eat.​

Rule 1 - Minimum 50% of the volume of food consumed in a day must be vegetables & fruit.
I'll buy pretty much anything that is on sale. There are some great finds in the frozen aisle, and many of the vegetables there are plain or in a low calorie sauce. I eat a huge amount of collards, purple cabbage, carrots, celery, apples, oranges, and other inexpensive produce.​
Be careful about adding in too much fiber too fast. I've seen recommendations to add no more than 5g of additional fiber per week so that the body becomes accustomed to it. If you go too fast, gas and intestinal upset is likely. I eat 50 - 90g of fiber on a regular day. The "standard american diet" is about 10-15g.​

Rule 2 - Avoid white foods, except cauliflower, mushrooms, & nuts.
Most white foods like potatoes, bananas, cheese, and bread are calorie dense and nutrition poor.​

Rule 3 - Eat more good fat like such as nuts.
Fat makes you feel full. Somewhere between 20-25% of calories should be fat. So enjoy some nuts. Dry roasted peanuts in the shell are inexpensive and healthy.​

Rule 4 - Eat less bad fat.
Saturated fat should be less than 5%. This means meats, dairy, eggs, and coconuts are scarce in my diet.​

Rule 5- All grains must be whole. Processed food "made from whole grains" don't count.
I prefer oats. They are inexpensive in bulk and have some taste to them. The only corn I'll eat is air popped popcorn.​

Rule 5 - No added sugar.
This means no soda w/ sugar, no sugar in coffee or tea, etc.​

Rule 6 - Almost no added fat.
It is possible to seam things instead of sauteing. There is no reason to fry anything. Save the fat calories for nuts or other healthy fat. This means no mayo, but mustard is something that can be used to add flavor.​

Rule 7 - Chart progress
It is easy to become discouraged or give up. Keeping track of progress weekly gives a reminder of the goal and something to help hold yourself accountable.​

Rule 8 - Exercise
You have to find something that you can do consistently and almost every day. I aim for a minimum of 7 hours per week of something. I like the woods, so I spend lots of time in the forest walking around. When I feel up to it, I'll jog. I also ride a bike for any trip under 20min by car (so anything less than an hour on bike).​
The best exercise is one you'll do and can do it consistently and without injury. I believe in listening to my body and not pushing myself so hard that I won't want to exercise the next day.​

Rule 9 - Sleep & Manage stress
I make sure to get enough sleep, because it is important for proper body function. Stress can throw me off track, so I make sure it is managed.​

Rule 10 - Have fun and occasionally reward yourself
Made great progress this week and feel like eating a small amount of something you shouldn't? Go ahead.​

I lost 2 inches on my waist last month and one the month prior. I feel healthy!

Great advice.

Good post....however, even more helpful would be if you directed the poster you quoted towards a typical daily meals

Breakfast......

Snacks morning......

Lunch........

Snack.....afternoon

Dinner........

Lots of green tea, water is high encouraged.

Stop eating grains. Bread, pasta, cereal, rice....cookies, pizza, donuts.....if it's got grain/flour in it....get rid of it. All of it.
Ditto that for potatoes....they are pointless. NO wonder the Incas disappeared and the Irish almost starved to death, lol.
They (grains) are such a HUGE source of calories with very little nutritive return on the deal. It's hard at first, but once you go a week without it, you're set.
Concentrate on proteins and produce. Lean meats and vegetables. Eat lots of protein and you'll feel fuller for longer with far less calories than you did when eating breads/cereals.

I am by no means an expert on nutrition, but this is what I did and it worked for me. I was 240lbs when I started and dropped 25 pounds in 3 months with no exercise.

KodiakAttack's advice on eating nothing that you don't make yourself is also really good. Just make sure when you do your grocery shopping that you limit yourself to the perimeter aisles and STAY AWAY from the middle aisles. The middle aisles are where you normally find your heavily processed/boxed/packaged foods that are loaded with carbs and sugars, while the perimeter aisles usually have foods that are much closer to their source, such as meats, fruits and veggies. Imagine yourself at a farmer's market rather than a grocery store and buy only what you would find there.

Good luck!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I skipped the gravy, lettuce and tomato and subsituted Bacon. I gained the freshman 50.

One. Yesterday I was 3070 of 3070. Never thought I would hit that exactly.

Two. I weighed in at home thinking I would overload the scale. It ended up saying I weighed 441.2. I still have my 50 lost in a year :)

Now to lose the next 50

Well, I guess you fixed your freshman year!

I have this image of you late in the evening, thinking "if I have three raisins and a boiled egg I'll be dead on 3070!"

Well, I guess you fixed your freshman year!

I have this image of you late in the evening, thinking "if I have three raisins and a boiled egg I'll be dead on 3070!"

LOL, except i don't like raisians.

Yesterday was 3025 of 3070

and yesterday i bombed 46xx of 3070

$keep-calm-tomorrow-is-another-day-2.png

Sorry if you mentioned it already, but did you ever try the hummus? It's one of my favorite snacks and I do not​ like beans. It's super easy to make too and you can flavor it with what you like - garlic, bell paper, hot pepper, etc.

Been busy between work and getting cars fixed. Have not been doing the best. Tomorrow is my first day off in over a week. Hope to regroup then

Try to regroup today. There's no reason to wait until tomorrow. If you make a mistake, try to do better. Be intentional in your eating, your exercise, etc. Focus on what you can control.

Question I have been working to midnight and have food when I get home. Which day should I log it under?

Hey kev! I'd say if you haven't gone to sleep then log it under the previous day. My rule of thumb is that the next day's log doesn't start until 5am, that way if I'm up with friends drinking single malt all night, it only derails one day lol.

Top Bottom