What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

During my own journey, the most helpful piece of advice that I received from my dietician was this:

Do NOT drink anything during your meals, and wait up to 30 minutes after you eat before drinking. This helps the food stay in your stomach longer, so you really get the best benefits from your nutrients and you feel full longer. It was a huge help for me in curbing my appetite.

I have maintained at my current weight. 455-460.. No updates as there are none but that. I need to get demotivated but am struggling to do so.

I have maintained at my current weight. 455-460.. No updates as there are none but that. I need to get demotivated but am struggling to do so.

I assume demotivated was a typo and you meant remotivated.

For me, it takes a few weeks of forcing myself to do activities before they become a routine. Just make yourself track your food intake, park farther away, go for a 10 minute walk every day, whatever it takes. Do that for 3 -4 weeks, even if it stinks and you don't want to. If you are like me, you'll find that the forced behavior is then part of your daily routine and you can do it without thinking about it or questioning it. Sure. The first few weeks are no fun, but the ongoing journey is worth it.

And set a goal. It's August 2015. Tell yourself that you want to be able to walk a 5K by August 2016. That gives you a year to drop weight and build up your endurance. And it's an attainable goal, so you'll have no excuses.

I assume demotivated was a typo and you meant remotivated.

For me, it takes a few weeks of forcing myself to do activities before they become a routine. Just make yourself track your food intake, park farther away, go for a 10 minute walk every day, whatever it takes. Do that for 3 -4 weeks, even if it stinks and you don't want to. If you are like me, you'll find that the forced behavior is then part of your daily routine and you can do it without thinking about it or questioning it. Sure. The first few weeks are no fun, but the ongoing journey is worth it.

And set a goal. It's August 2015. Tell yourself that you want to be able to walk a 5K by August 2016. That gives you a year to drop weight and build up your endurance. And it's an attainable goal, so you'll have no excuses.

+1. The point is to make a long-term change, but do it SLOWLY.

I have found that people who make abrupt changes (crash diets, etc.) tend to 'yo-yo' bouncing up and down. IMHO you have a much better chance of making a permanent improvement if you take a gradual approach. :thumbup1:

Slow and Steady wins the race. Pick one goal and work toward it till it becomes second nature and a daily activity, ie a ten minute walk daily. Once that becomes a daily habit pick another small goal to implement into every day life.

Slow and Steady wins the race. Pick one goal and work toward it till it becomes second nature and a daily activity, ie a ten minute walk daily. Once that becomes a daily habit pick another small goal to implement into every day life.

Very true! Slow and steady always wins the race. I was struggling a lot for losing weight. Tried many things possible, but none of them worked. I was desperate to lose weight at the earliest. I thought workouts and diet plans will help reduce my weight. But I was totally wrong and realized that workouts and diets only help in maintaining a proper weight and weight loss is not something that can be earned easily. Then I thought about long term weight loss programs and joined a 9 months men's only weight loss program organized by Harvey Brooker. After 4 months of treatment, I have lost about 35 lbs and really happy with the results. Hoping to get more good results by the end of the program.

I am dealing with depression and have been using food to cope with it

That's a common coping mechanism Kev. Are you seeing anyone for the depression? If not, I highly recommend it...success in therapy largely rests on your shoulders as having a willingness to go as well as your ability to click with a therapist. I highly encourage my folks to go if they are experiencing issues and am encouraging you too!

That's a common coping mechanism Kev. Are you seeing anyone for the depression? If not, I highly recommend it...success in therapy largely rests on your shoulders as having a willingness to go as well as your ability to click with a therapist. I highly encourage my folks to go if they are experiencing issues and am encouraging you too!

+1. I know in the past we've suggested that you talk to a therapist, but you didn't want to because, paraphrasing your response, you're not crazy. You don't need to be crazy to speak with a therapist. I'll offer that you'd be crazy not to if it could help you deal with your depression and to help you find a better coping mechanism.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

Kev Dog; Underlying metabolic problems such as an under-productive thyroid gland, coupled with poor snack choices, were my bane for years. As an older adult, the associated hypertension, dyslipidemia, and for many, diabetes- accompany this, and can be every bit as serious, causing stroke or other catastrophic events. My doctor added Phentermine to drastically reduce the urge to snack, and increased my Synthroid dose to jump-start my metabolism. Also recommended was the addition of fish oil- three caps twice daily, and red rice yeast-one cap twice a day, which has sustained my cholesterol and unwanted blood lipids to around 72 points for many years now. I unequivocally do NOT recommend these pharmacologic aides across the board- this was done under close doctor supervision, coupled with diet portioning and small snacks in moderation, and EXERCISE. Phentermine and Synthroid both affect the heart, and many cannot stand the sustained increase in pulse. Frankly, Phentermine is speed, but it is a known appetite suppressant. Synthroid is used only with a compromised thyroid, or in the case that the gland has been irradiated or removed, and it is not the only therapeutic choice for this. My weight still fluctuates in the winter, but is lost in the Spring and Summer months due to mowing three acres and all of the traditional house chores that warmer weather affords here in the Southland. The use of Statins to control cholesterol is controversial too-expensive as well. As for exercise- just start walking. I suggest a mall as a course early in the morning before it opens, as many remain unlocked so that mall walkers can lap the inside perimeter. I also will be praying for your success and recovery, as I hope many who see this thread will do just that. Having Him on your side is perhaps the best thing that you can do to win this battle my friend! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $January 01,2014 Me.JPG

Last edited:
I also agree, again, that talking to a therapist/counselor/pastor is a good idea, as this is the second time it's been brought up. Kev, going doesn't mean your crazy, just stuck in a rut. Think of a therapist as: a tow truck driver here to help you pull out of the freeway ditch during winter and help u fix the flat tire. Then pats you on the back and sends you off with a new spare tire.

Bro, I have bipolar disorder. I totally know what a hurtful depression feels like. I can tell you that things like drugs/alcohol/food when your down feels great right then, but when you gain control of your head again and start thinking, the vice you just used is really hurting you, bringing you down, and you just want more. It's a hard vicious cycle.

On to the upnotes. Because we have to stay positive. Therapy is a great thing. When I have the opportunity to see a therapist I seek it out, even if there is no major problem in my life. It's like a tune up for my head. And it's really nice to say whatever you like to an actual persons face, and know that they cannot and will not judge you. It takes a whole world off your shoulders the first time you do it. They are not there to feed you pills and "fix" your life. They're job is to be there as a coach and help you FIX your life.

What do you like to do when your happy? What is your "up" time entertainment? For me it's listening to amazing music, going to concerts, playing pool, reading and video games. If I can mix any of these enjoyments together all the better. Even on the days that I can barely crawl out of bed, I still do those things. I tell myself that even though it sucks right now, this is what I love and it still brings me happiness. I've spent lots and lots of time plugged into my ipod and playing countless hours of pool. It was always an amazing time, even the days I could barely function, when I sit back and think on it, because I had my stuff. I learned a lot about myself, learned to shoot pool loads better then I ever had, digested a pile of great music. What I'm getting at is, I used my time to do something positive, even if I wasn't feeling it at the time. And I think about that when I'm down. Then go do one of the things I love, and fake my way through it. Then I'm happy with myself a few days later, that I didn't let myself stay in bed, but rather rocked out the ps3.

Stay positive, stay strong kev. We are here to help push you through.

Last edited:
Im at work and I cant read everything right now but ill share some thoughts. I was really skinny as a kid but i balloned to 200lbs and im only 5'5" . like what you said you tried to lose weight and stuff but I usually stopped after a week. Then I changed gears and said If i cant get slim then i'll get strong, and since people packing weight are generally stronger than people with six pack abs i was lifting my bodyweight in squats bench press and deadlift in a month . and was double that after. Once the iron bug bit me there was no turning back. I now do all sorts of things like kettlebells and calisthenics mma kali and muaythai. But it all started because i wanted to be strong. The aesthetic parts were just a bonus.

Althoug i was strong my cardio sucked balls back then hahaha regular 2 hour walks helped me shed lbs also. If you want to eat then eat alooot of meat preferably not fastfood. Stay away from empty calories . and when i felt inwas ready i actually used p90x and insanity to really get ripped hahaha hey its great for people starting out. Not sure if you can channel your depression into agression and use it to lift heavy though.

Last edited:
Kev, it's been more than a week since your last post. Feel like checking in?
Not really but will,

I have been fighting through a lot personally. I have been resisting fast food and eating home prepared food. I still am not attacking. But have added yogurt to my diet. I also have been working on giving up my fourth meal a day and limiting intake on the others. I have not weighed in but my clothes are tightening.

Top Bottom