What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Update

I have been down but an not out. Am starting to rally from my latest setback. Yesterday I changed the front brakes on the car. Took 2 hours and a few breaks in the heat but mission accomplished. Forced myself to drink a quart of water every hour to replace all I sweated out. I know that it might not seem like much but considering the depth of discouragement I have been fighting this was huge.

This is the first project I have finished at home in months. I really have been struggling with the will to fight. I have a little strength

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Update

I have been down but an not out. Am starting to rally from my latest setback. Yesterday I changed the front brakes on the car. Took 2 hours and a few breaks in the heat but mission accomplished. Forced myself to drink a quart of water every hour to replace all I sweated out. I know that it might not seem like much but considering the depth of discouragement I have been fighting this was huge.

This is the first project I have finished at home in months. I really have been struggling with the will to fight. I have a little strength

Kevn,

You've been on your journey for over two years now. Your first thread post said you were at 500 pounds back in early 2014. Where are you now?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I really have been struggling with the will to fight. I have a little strength

We all want you to succeed at this Kev! Keep at it.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I have not followed your thread before. Congratulations on your project, a positive!

Understanding the reasons why we do things is central to changing behavior. Very few doctors understand the psychology of eating. Here is a link to a doctor that has an interesting theory of how carbohydrate addiction effects physical and mental health.

http://carbsyndrome.com/the-22-symptoms-of-carb-syndrome/

My biggest issue with this is the lack of support. I recently watched the sequel to sick fat and nearly dead and saw that Phil gained back the weight due to the lack of support and through personal issues that happened. Food is comfort for those that need comfort. It is easier to go to fast food and binge vs preparing healthy meals

For ever person that fails...there is a person that prevails and rises above the odds. See yourself as one that succeeds. Why shouldn't you be the one that is successful? Don't put the probability of your succeeding in someone else's hands. Addictions aren't easy for people to beat whether it be alcohol, heroine, nicotine or food. Don't look at yourself as a victim. You and you alone are ultimately responsible for change. Everyone needs assistance at times or someone to point them in the right direction but the buck stops with you.

I have a relative who has had increasingly higher blood pressure and overweight. Year after year it contributes to a number of chronic conditions she has developed that has resulted in no less than 10 medications. Her blood pressure is not in control and she has stage IV kidney disease. I have resisted giving her any advice and she makes few lifestyle changes and relies on mediation to solve her health problems. She is of the opinion the doctors aren't any good and none of the medications work.

I asked her what she ate, recorded it and put it into a food calculator to break down what her macronutrients and her sodium intake was for the typical day. Her diet is 90% processed foods. She consumes over 66 teaspoons of sugar and nearly 5 grams of salt daily. I encourages her to ditch the processed foods and to cook and eat real food. She told me she eats the DASH diet because she doesn't use salt and uses a sodium free salt substitute. I tried to point out that the food processers have already added salt and sugar to her food. She told me she couldn't cook. Cooking isn't rocket science. You put protein of your choice in the oven, set the temperature and the timer and in 30-45 minutes you have edible protein. Frozen vegetables can be microwaved in a few minutes. She isn't willing to commit to making changes.

You understand the problem. "Food is comfort for those that need comfort. It is easier to go to fast food and binge vs preparing healthy meals." You need to break this habit which is deeply seated over a lifetime. It is maladjusted behavior, difficult to break, but it can be done.

75% of any lifestyle diet change is in the preparation. Get the right foods in the house and don't have unhealthy foods at hand. Prepare multiple healthy meals a couple times a week and have them readily available to microwave during the week. Make it more convenient to microwave a healthy meal than to drive to fast food establishment. Eliminate eating out of boredom or to comfort. Make this scenario your new habit. Easy? Hardly! Worth the effort. Make this your second project.

I hope you don't see this as not being supportive.

My biggest issue with this is the lack of support. I recently watched the sequel to sick fat and nearly dead and saw that Phil gained back the weight due to the lack of support and through personal issues that happened. Food is comfort for those that need comfort. It is easier to go to fast food and binge vs preparing healthy meals
You may have to do an inner self evaluation and start weeding out the non supporters, no matter how painful it is for them. It's either your well being and life or keep the non supporters and risk bad health.

Update

I have started to change my eating lifestyle. If I want to have children I need to stop being a lump and start to be productive.

Update

I have started to change my eating lifestyle. If I want to have children I need to stop being a lump and start to be productive.

+1. Once you start to change, the many things will fall into place! This is a process that takes time, but it is well worth the effort!

+1. Once you start to change, the many things will fall into place! This is a process that takes time, but it is well worth the effort!

You are well worth the effort, Kevin. You're a good man. Keep putting one foot in front of the other; keep trudging that road of happy destiny. You will get there!

Your achieving your goals will depend on how successful you are at identifying the maladaptive behavior that got you to where you are and charting a NEW path and NEW relationship with food. Change is difficult. Your best tools will be in educating yourself. We live in a great age. The internet is a wonderful tool. THERE IS A LOT OF BAD INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET, but there is a lot of good information. There is a ton of support out there in group forums and podcasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-oP34xXFWM

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Update

It is essential to have a goal beyond just wanting to lose weight . Most of us know that being over weight is hard on the joints, leads to high blood pressure, increases your risk of a heart attack, increases your insulin resistance and leads to diabetes and kidney failure. It also increases your risk for certain cancers and lowers your testosterone. In addition it leads to chronic inflammation that can have a systemic effect on many of your organs. The excess fat cells (adipocytes) are not just fat storage, but little chemical factories.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/2/461S.full

It is essential to have a goal beyond just wanting to lose weight . Most of us know that being over weight is hard on the joints, leads to high blood pressure, increases your risk of a heart attack, increases your insulin resistance and leads to diabetes and kidney failure. It also increases your risk for certain cancers and lowers your testosterone. In addition it leads to chronic inflammation that can have a systemic effect on many of your organs. The excess fat cells (adipocytes) are not just fat storage, but little chemical factories.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/2/461S.full
These are valid points and great link too.

Top Bottom