What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Hey kevdogg, I'm sorry to hear about your ankle injury. I do hope that it will heal quickly though. Are you able to go to a gym? Maybe try swimming or even aqua fit classes? I injured my back last year and my physical therapist had me taking the aqua fit classes no pressure on the joints but still got a workout.

The gym i am a part of does not have a pool. They (Planet Fitness) however will allow men who think they are women use the womens changing area....shudder......

I am now down with strep. be a few days before I get back into working out again

Yikes - I hate Strep! I hope you feel better soon.

Here's an interesting article on the links between eating habits, exercise and weight loss:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegw...e-us-sugar-and-carbs-are-our-bodily-downfall/

“According to the Lancet global burden of disease reports,” they write, “poor diet now generates more disease than physical inactivity, alcohol and smoking combined.” This is a disturbing statistic. But it gets worse.

Last edited:
There's been interesting updates on the lifehacker weight series. Mostly that we tend to eat too few calories when dieting at meals and that leads to hunger and ultimately binging. Also that exercise just isn't anywhere near as effective as diet to lose weight.

I am healed of strep. Now to get back on track with my weight loss.....I am really struggling with being consistent in the battle.

From my experience, the easiest way to be consistent is to plan out your meals for the week, make a grocery list, and stick to the list. Even if you deviate in the meals, if you make them at home and only use the foods you bought, you're way ahead of the game. Plus, if you don't have things like chips, cookies, ice cream, etc., in the house, it makes it much easier to snack on something more healthful or to avoid snacking all together.

Then, at work, the store, church, wherever, decide you're going to park farther away than you usually do. Even if you can't get to the gym, you're at least getting a little more walking in.

From my experience, the easiest way to be consistent is to plan out your meals for the week, make a grocery list, and stick to the list. Even if you deviate in the meals, if you make them at home and only use the foods you bought, you're way ahead of the game. Plus, if you don't have things like chips, cookies, ice cream, etc., in the house, it makes it much easier to snack on something more healthful or to avoid snacking all together.

Then, at work, the store, church, wherever, decide you're going to park farther away than you usually do. Even if you can't get to the gym, you're at least getting a little more walking in.

I ended up canceling the gym membership.

Been trying to get back to a healthier diet and move more. Spent 1.5 hrs yesterday weed whacking.

I might not be tracking my food intake lately, but have been mindful of what I eat more, knowing the calories it contains. I am starting to feel better, and plan to be getting out to do more outside work soon. My pastor also has a work out plan for me I will be starting at the end of the month.

I weighed in yesterday. I knew I had gained a couple pounds but I was shocked to see the scale say 459. Wiping out a lot of my progress. Been eating more take out the last 2 months with my job being busy and lack of time. That should change soon.

I will share more on that soon.

You're still down 41 pounds since you started. Just get back to the basics. Eat better, walk more, and take care of yourself. What you eat is the most important thing right now. And if you need to resort to takeout, eat more healthful things--a bowl of turkey chili at Panera, a grilled chicken sandwich without the mayo/dressing at MacDonald's, even a gas station convenience store turkey sandwich--instead of anything fried, heavily breaded, or sauced.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I weighed in yesterday. I knew I had gained a couple pounds but I was shocked to see the scale say 459. Wiping out a lot of my progress. Been eating more take out the last 2 months with my job being busy and lack of time. That should change soon.

I will share more on that soon.

A young man went to Gautama Buddha and sought the Master’s guidance to achieve Enlightenment, The conversation went as follows:
  • Young Man: Master how long will it take for me to achieve enlightenment?
  • Gautama Buddha: It all depends on you......
  • Young Man: If I put in ten hours of meditation every day how long will it take?
  • Gautama Buddha: Maybe ten years
  • Young Man: What if I put in fifteen hours meditation?
  • Gautama Buddha: Maybe fifteen years
  • Young Man; (getting irritated) What if I meditate for twenty hours?
  • Gautama Buddha: Maybe twenty five years
  • The young man was almost infuriated.
  • Young Man: I cannot understand your logic—the more effort I put in, the more time it will take—this is ridiculous, Please explain.
  • Gautama Buddha: As long as you are fixated and obsessed about your goal you will not achieve it. Just do spiritual practice without one eye on the goal. Let events take their shape.

Don't focus on your ultimate goal of losing x number of pounds ... focus on the daily routine of living a healthy lifestyle and eating the right amount of the right foods. Take care of the little thing, and the big things take care of themselves.

:thumbup1:

A young man went to Gautama Buddha and sought the Master’s guidance to achieve Enlightenment, The conversation went as follows:
  • Young Man: If I put in ten hours of meditation every day how long will it take?
  • Young Man: I cannot understand your logic—the more effort I put in, the more time it will take—this is ridiculous, Please explain.
  • Gautama Buddha: As long as you are fixated and obsessed about your goal you will not achieve it. Just do spiritual practice without one eye on the goal. Let events take their shape.

Don't focus on your ultimate goal of losing x number of pounds ... focus on the daily routine of living a healthy lifestyle and eating the right amount of the right foods. Take care of the little thing, and the big things take care of themselves.

Well said Doc!

Busy with transitioning from my current job to my new one. My fitness pal is non existent but have been working on my knowledge of food to try to stay under 3000 in a day. Will be making a Dr appt once my new insurance kicks in as my current does not cover visits to doctor and the new will be a lot easier on my wallet.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Doc is such a cool guru.

Top Bottom