What's new

What shave equipment did you buy today

Just won a Gillette NEW LC on Ebay. I probably paid too much for it but it still wasn't expensive.

Looking forward to trying it out and hoping that it's not too aggressive for my ridiculously sensitive skin. Time will tell.

Haslinger Meeresalgen and Honig Shaving soaps
Clubman Pinaud Vanilla AS
Rapira blades sample(a box each of them)
Treet &Trig blades sample
Gillette Silver Blue

Happy Camper today. I walked into the Esbjerg store in Vienna today only to find that they have 4 Stirling Soaps for sale. Nearly fainted lol So I bought Bay Rum and Executive Man (didn't like the Tea Tree smell and the Glacial Lemon Chill is probably too cold for me).

So huge to see Stirling in a brick and mortar store in Vienna Austria of all places. Hope this will spread the word around here as ordering from Austria should be significantly easier than from the US.

Anyway, I'm feeling like I hit the jackpot :D

I bought Saponificio Varesino's Felce Aromatica and Henri et Victoria's Chestnut L'Orange. Both have extremely pleasant and strong scents and I'm very excited to use them.

Picked up a few products last week, my take on them, in case it interests anyone, especially wet shavers from Europe:

Saponificio Varesino 70th shaving and bath soap. Heavenly smell and top notch performance. Also want to give a shout out to eFiori, a company from Poland that sells SV products at prices similar to factory ones but their shipping costs are way lower than SV's. I paid cca. €3 to have SV stuff sent and it arrived in 5 days. Definitely the place to go for European buyers of SV products.

From Solo Afeitado, a Spanish outfit, also highly recommended, I picked up Feather MR3 Neo (I know, I know). For those still or occasionally using cartridges, Feather might be the best deal, price performance wise, at least in Europe. Feather blades last forever and consistently deliver a very very good shave. No straight razor good, the kind you get at a barbershop, but still very good.

In Dublin, there's a DE barber and shop called Knight in Dundrum shopping mall. I was in Ireland and bought Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food. In my opinion this products is overrated, I don't understand why it impresses everyone so much, especially at €20 for 100ml. The bottle is a cheapo plastic affair with below average design and quality, definitely not the highlight of one's bathroom shelf, but where it shines even less is performance. I tried it as a pre-shave and noticed no effect. As an aftershave it has this weird smell, kinda what I imagine old people smell like, hard to imagine that anyone finds it attractive. It's also quite messy to apply, burns way way too long if skin is irritated (unlike, say, L'Occitane or Speick, not to mention higher end stuff). What it does do well is make one's skin very smooth, to the point of an unnaturally smooth feel, like touching a balloon or something. It's a similar effect one gets with Biotherm or Shiseido face moisturizers, where to my understanding it's the result of hydrated silica. It sure feels like a silicon film, smooth but artificial. I know that Geo F doesn't contain silica and if they manage to achieve this by "natural" means, my hat off, but just smoothness is not enough so this is my first and last Skin Food bottle.

Actually, with this purchase I'm kinda done pursuing the best soap, cream, pre, after etc., at least for a while. I've accumulated a heap of soaps and creams I don't really like or do like, just not as much as my favourites and I don't see the point in using anything except what I like best. I'll focus my attention (and €) on other products.

Re: brush, I use L'Occitane Plisson and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Muhle Kosmo but since I got the Plisson, Muhle feels too small + Plisson is softer. I'll pick the 26mm RazorRock or Stirling Plissoft if/when they restock, though because it's such a great value

My favourite croaps/soaps are Acqua di Parma, Saponificio Varesino 70th and (when I feel like tallow) Speick stick. Martin de Candre or Santa Maria Novella might produce even better leather, but for me AdP, SV and Speick are everything I need and for €50+, I believe the product must not only be a performer but also have a great smell and packaging so that it decorates once bathroom shelf. I only wish Speick would sell their shaving soap as a puck in a sexy packaging but obviously one can't get that for €3.

Btw, SV purchase also answered my bath soap questions. I use Speick's Natural for everyday use but I like SV so much I'm adding that one to my regimen.

More by accident than design I also solved my toothpaste "puzzle". I've seen Marvis many times before but never picked it up, just didn't think one toothpaste can be that much different from another + I recently bought a €25 toothpaste called Black&White, which is cool, being black and all, but otherwise a hype. Marvis, though, what a delight, it replaced Sensodyne as my go to toothpaste and I like it so much (I have Aquatic and Whitening) I'm brushing at least 5 times a day. I use Sonicare DiamondClean electric and a Curaprox manual brush) A review of "luxury" toothpastes in Wall Street Journal says Acca Kappa is even better than Marvis, so that's an item for the next go.

Top Bottom