What's new

Hats are Coming Back!

I feel like the increase in hat wearing is just part of the hipster movement. Once that dies out, hat wearing will once again decline. I would wear one, but I am 23 and would look silly in a fedora (or something of the sort).

I agree. I'm 28 and only just now think that I can get away with the Ivy style hat without looking like a total douche. Fedora? forget it. My wife got me a cool Ivy style hat for Christmas. Its been nice this winter, but I hardly get to wear it. Wear it in the morning in the car to work. Take it off (I'm young but i still abide by the no hats inside rule), put it back on for the drive home. Weekends are the same thing. Wear it in the car to my destination, take it off once I get inside. Unfortunately I just don't get too many opportunities to wear it.

I just hope no one commits the unforgivable crime of wearing one of those inside!

Why, is that a no-no? My first job out of law school, I clerked for a federal judge who was appointed by LBJ, and prior to that had been the US Attorney for Southern California. At the time, and to this day, the US Attorney's office was, and is, a few flights above the courtrooms. He told me that they were required to put their hats on even if they were just going downstairs to court.

I think classic hats go well with classic clothing. The jeans, tshirt, fedora look just looks trendy to me. I could care less about it though, if you dig it, go for it. I won't even complain if you wear it indoors.

I like that the hats are coming back... I just hope that the more classic fedora types become popular. Most of what I see are the cheap fabric trilbys and such. My vintage Knox 15 (in my profile pic) is my favorite hat of my small collection. It's tough to beat the quality or look.

Perhaps as part of this movement people will finally (re)learn the difference between a fedora and a trilby.

I've tried on some bowlers, but they've never looked good on me. I do like my fedora and felt flat cap, though.

I still crave a furry wedge hat, but the bagless milsurp ones are always too small for my head. Actually that reminds me that I should resume my efforts to simply make one...

Wearing a hat inside is not a faux pas provided you only wear in in the public areas of a building. So a lobby or hallway is fine, but sitting in your office is not.

Top Bottom