What's new

Asheville NC meet up

Wow, what a great weekend. I just got home and my head is still spinning. Learned honing techniques from several folks and had several more help me hone my own razors. Got some hands on and coaching on stropping, learned some razor repair, and got some one on one coaching to help improve my shaving technique. I think just about everyone walked a way with some door prize and lots of take aways. Oh, and brush turning. Klinspore brought a wood turner with them and he showed us how he turns wood to make some beautiful handles. I left with a beautiful East India Rosewood brush handle and Kevin gave me a knot to put in it. Ray, Walleyeman even gave me one of his beautiful brushes he made. Wow! I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Pictures and maybe some videos should be posted tomorrow.

I do have to say, as great as this meet up was, I think the best part was all the wonderful people there. A lot of information and experience being shared and a lot of PIFing too.

Yeah, what he said. And we need to remember to thank Warpiper (he thanked everyone else in another post) for helping organize the event and take pictures / videos, etc. It was a blast. I learned 10x more about straight shaving in one day than I had ever learned before.

Just want to post a thank you from Kevin.

"There are so many thank you's to extend that I will not mention names at this time for fear of over looking someone. It would take me a full web page to cover all of them.

What can I say? it was better than we hoped in every aspect. Lynn, Ron Randy, Charlie & Richard you guys sure did your part on showing the new and old people an idea or two about how to take care of their gear.

It was good for me to be able to put a face with a screen name, to be able to just sit and talk about the one common denominator we have (Razors) As for me it is a passion more than a hobby. To be able to learn from others is always a BIG + for me. I feel that this helped get my information level up quite a bit.

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to come and share your knowledge and just hang out. I know it cost you to do this. I just hope you got as much out of it as you had hoped. Thank you for posting the pictures and helping at every turn when ask, for sharing you knowledge with each other.

I do want to personally thank 4 groups of people, once again I am not listing names – You know who you are.

1. The group that came in and help set up Friday night. Without your help it would have been chaos on Saturday morning and this old cowboy would have had a stroke doing it alone.

2. The group that stayed to help put everything back together Sunday night. I am still in awe to think about the miles you still had to drive but stayed and helped when you could have driven away and did it all with a smile.

3. The team that worked behind the scenes to put this together. You all pulled off the impossible with only 2 months and 2 days you worked together to have the biggest meetup ever.

4. The donation Jar – Nipper and Warpiper went over the receipts of the out of pocket expenses for the event coffee, paper towels water, Ice, etc those expenses were covered and there was $95.00 left over. Nipper will be sending this amount to the Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) at Fort Leonard Wood MO. To further their cause and help a wounded veteran.
(Joe, Would you put a letter in with the check, Please tell them this is a small token of our thanks for what they do for us and sign it Asheville Meetup 2014)

I also want to thank Tucker Garrison our brush turner from Brevard NC. that came in with klingspor he was willing to let guys have a hand at turning and made some wonderful brushes for us to see. Colman, Fourshee GM for Klingspor. We would like to thank you for coming and showing us your line of produces. I know after talking to the guys at the end of the meetup you made quite an impression. We hope you enjoyed being with us as much as we did with you.

Thanks again

Kevin"

Here is the itsapeech barber's hone that cjbianco gave me. Its a sweet stone. Thanks Christopher.

$IMG_0517.jpg

And here is the brush Tucker turned for me. The knot is from Kevin (hidestoart).

$IMG_0516.jpg

Good morning folks. I wasn't able to make it up to Asheville for the meetup so I'm doing a PIF of the item I was going to bring up there as a giveaway. This is a handmade lather bowl made by Katherine Petke of Black Crow Pottery in Rock Hill, SC. If you are interested AND you came to Asheville pick a number between 1-50. The winning number will be selected by random number generator and the person that has the closest number without going over wins the bowl. In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by the earliest time stamp on his/her post. Thanks for playing folks and happy shaving!
$IMG_20140430_172058_099.jpg$IMG_20140430_172110_425.jpg

Good morning folks. I wasn't able to make it up to Asheville for the meetup so I'm doing a PIF of the item I was going to bring up there as a giveaway. This is a handmade lather bowl made by Katherine Petke of Black Crow Pottery in Rock Hill, SC. If you are interested AND you came to Asheville pick a number between 1-50. The winning number will be selected by random number generator and the person that has the closest number without going over wins the bowl. In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by the earliest time stamp on his/her post. Thanks for playing folks and happy shaving!
View attachment 443150View attachment 443151

Beautiful! Do we post our guess or PM you?

Too bad I missed this one! My mom moved to Asheville/Black Mountain last month, so I should be visiting about once a month. I'll keep an eye out for the next one!
Anyone ever meet up in the Triangle?

Too bad I missed this one! My mom moved to Asheville/Black Mountain last month, so I should be visiting about once a month. I'll keep an eye out for the next one!
Anyone ever meet up in the Triangle?

Theres a few. Message LindyHop66 and tell him you're interested in being put on his local list of people.

We could do a BBQ or something at my house this summer if people want. Wish someone had a barber shop around here we could do something like "first saturday of the month" meet up and hang out for an hour or so.

Top Bottom