What's new

Asheville NC meet up

just checked motel rooms in/near Asheville, NC last nite. They are filling up fast! Best rates are Motel 6, Super 8, Quality Inn in Arden, NC under the corporate name of Hides to Art, phone # na828-684-6688. 12 miles from the Razor Meet, easy drive

My wife wants to know if there will be any activities for the ladies :lol:

She's coming to Asheville and we're going to make a weekend of it(she loves it there) but I doubt she will be coming to the meet-up.

Just found this.

Brand new to DE shaving, but also have a high interest in straights (although I CURRENTLY don't own any.)

Just may provide a good opportunity to ride the bike up from Atlanta for the weekend.

Just found this.

Brand new to DE shaving, but also have a high interest in straights (although I CURRENTLY don't own any.)

Just may provide a good opportunity to ride the bike up from Atlanta for the weekend.

Glad you found it! Come on up. Try straights out. You can leave with one if you like. See right there if it's for you and learn everything you will need. Or, just enjoy the event as a DE user.

www.ashevillewetshavers.weebly.com

I'm still a maybe, but hopeful. trying to get swmbo to ditch the all day class she has that saturday and come make a weekend out of it. maybe some biltmore fun.

If i do make it, i'll bring a bunch of stuff to PIF and trade.

I'll be there. :001_smile It looks like is going to be a great event with something for every one. There will be lectures/demos on different styles of honing, barber hones, how to use a microscope to evaluate your honing skills, use of different abrasives, stropping, restoration, repair, and repining. There will also be one on one, hands on help for folks who want it all through out both days(I'll be taking advantage of that). Rick is also giving a lecture and demo on lapping with film and will be available to help those who want it with face prep, lather making, shaving techniques and post shave (he helped me out immensely with that at the last meet up). If you can make it, I would highly recommend it. There is going to be a ton of information being shared through talks, demos, and sharing with others. And if I recall, there's going to be someone there to demo how he turns/makes handles for shaving brushes. Rick has also done a bang up job of asking vendors for door prizes and if its like last time, there will be some awesome door prizes. I'm still loving my Captain's Choice aftershave and my Stropman's paddle strop that I won at the last meet up. Oh, almost forgot, here's a link to the lecture/demos schedule/itinerary for both days. It looks like a lot of thought and planing is going into this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/392e0tp51zhvvpj/Schedule3.xls

Hi All,

For those going to the meet up here's the address:

69 Bingham Road
Asheville NC

The guy who got the building for us said there will be a 6'-8" straight razor at the entrance so there will be no mistake as to it being the right place. He also said the the building will be open at 7:30 am on both days and closed up when we are done for the day on Saturday and will close down around 5 pm on Sunday.

Here's some hotel information that was put out. Kevin (the guy who got the building) has made arrangements for Corporate room discounts at the

Quality Inn
1 Skyland Inn Drive
Arden, NC 28704 phone 828-684-6688
Use the corporate name HidestoArt
rate $75
This is a short 12 mile distance to the Razor Meet.

Crown Plaza-Asheville
1 Resort Drive
Asheville, NC
828-254-3211
Corporate name HidestoArt
rate $114, usually $209

Book your room fast. Many hotels are already booked for that weekend and the prices are expensive. Be sure to check the other hotels in the area too.

Because of the time of year and the good weather I was even looking at some of the camp sites there but SWMBO is not into camping.

Yeah, it is. Not to hot and not to cold and no real bugs to contend with. :001_smile

Too bad about the camping, as there is some awesome camping within about half an hour of Asheville. And barring rain (always a possibility in the Smokeys), that is a good time of year to do it!

Tennessee, Michigan, North Carolina?? What's one more state. You can add it to your frequent driver mileage. Sorry you won't be able to make it thought Chuck, its going to be a good one. Maybe next time. :001_smile

Thanks Warpiper...you guys are killing me...

...Sorry you won't be able to make it thought Chuck, its going to be a good one. Maybe next time. :001_smile

...he says as twists the blade a little...:biggrin1:

I want to go to this and hang out with you guys BAD! There is so much going on that I'm really interested in at this meet up, along with the fact that I need a serious tune up on all things straight. Rick has really outdone himself!
The LOTH has been telling me to just give up and go but I'll have to squeeze in some side work to foot the bill.

The LOTH is always right! :biggrin1: Hopefully, I didn't twist the blade to hard. If you could make it that would be great but if not, don't worry. If this meet up is a big success as I think it will be, I'm sure they will be planning another one and you can make that one. Also, there should be lots of pictures taken and Rick may be filming for future posts and references. This will only be my second meet up but looking at the quality speakers coming in, the experience they have, and the scheduling of talks and demos, its looking to be very professional. Getting hands on experience from those who know so much more than me is also very appealing as well. That should significantly cut my learning cure! LOL!

...he says as twists the blade a little...:biggrin1:

I want to go to this and hang out with you guys BAD! There is so much going on that I'm really interested in at this meet up, along with the fact that I need a serious tune up on all things straight. Rick has really outdone himself!
The LOTH has been telling me to just give up and go but I'll have to squeeze in some side work to foot the bill.

Sorry about the broken record thing (or is it beating a dead horse?), but my interest in straights is very low (not zero, but close to it). How 'bout if we have something for the DE shavers?
We could have a blade-flipping seminar ...:001_unsur

Or perhaps something more useful, like a session on re-knotting a vintage brush.

I like both the lather building session and the straight-wielding barber (do I need a reservation?)

It is in my calendar, so despite my kvetching, I plan to be there.

Also, how do we get the message out to other Carolinians? There are several on the board who probably do not know about this event.

Hi Doc!

Just reread your post again. There is going to be someone there (a friend of Rick's I believe) who will be there demoing handle turning an I think re knotting. Also, I just found out this morning that one of the premiere brush makers will be there. He just finished repairing one of my brushes and did an excellent job. I for one will be spending some time picking his brain for advice and tips. Very nice fellow.

If you are interested in getting a straight razor shave from the barber let me know and about what time you want to go (he's about 8 minutes down the street from the meet up) and I'll get that to the guy who is scheduling it. I'm getting my shave at 10 am. :biggrin1: Oh, bring your own brush (state law).

As to getting the word out, there are meet up threads on several different shaving forums. Rick has even started a website just for the event and set up a face book page as well. It looks like the word is getting out because we are getting some good responses.

Count me in! The woman made reservations at Crowne Plaza last night for friday and saturday night, so we'll be there all weekend.

Top Bottom