What's new

WARHAWK's Review of TIKI Bar Shave Soap

Hi Gents: Hope all is well with you and your families. Recently. . . I have been test driving the TIKI Bar Shave Soap. It is a vegan soap that is made by the owner Amanda. She resides in Birmingham, Alabama. She has a Phd in Chemistry.

Before, I begin my mini-review. My favorite shave soaps that are in my current rotation are: Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water Soap, Barrister & Mann, Cella, Petal Pusher Fancies, and Speick. I am DE & SE face & head shaver.

TIKI Bar Soap's owner Amanda can be found on ETSY. She gives great customer service and she answers all emails in her ETSY page. In one of her emails, she mentioned that she had one customer who brought his MdC shave soap to her and basically said and I am paraphrasing. . . " This is my favorite soap but I am tired of spending XXX amount of dollars and it is getting expensive. Can you make a shave soap that rivals MdC?

With Amanda's PhD in chemistry she was able to get a near match of MdC's ingredients. The customer stated to Amanda that this is a very very close second to MdC and thanked her. He has since been a loyal customer.

I have been test driving the TIKI Bar Shave Soap (Set Sail). It is a soft soap that can be placed easily into container kind of like Barrister and Mann's. I purchased it with a container and without container. Price is great with only $10 a puck and $14 with puck & container.

The scent of "Set Sail" is invigorating. It is gives an inviting aroma to the air. It has lavender, mint, rosemary, and cedarwood. I am a big fan of scents and this will not disappoint.

The lathers are amazingly easy. It gives out a creamy, thick lather. That lathers provides great protection and glide. I have tested it on my brushes: Semogue BC Texugo, Semgoue TSN 2012 LE, Semogue 620, 610 & 1438 and Simpson P8 to name a few.

Customer service is excellent. I love when I can receive great customer service and quick responses to emails. She also gives an "extra" product to your order.

All in all, I have enjoyed my face and head shaves with TIKI Bar Shave Soap. I am writing this because I hope that you can enjoy it, too. This shave soap will not disappoint. So... if you are a fan of MdC and are looking for it's rival, I think TIKI Bar Shave Soap is the one. I already know that it will be in my rotation of shave soaps. Amanda. . . you have got a loyal customer.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TikiBarSoap

WARHAWK

Enclosed are some great lather from TIKI Bar Shave Soap:

$IMG_20140222_154247.jpg$IMG_20140222_154353.jpg$IMG_20140222_154458.jpg
WARHAWK

Looks nice. Thanks for the thorough review. Too bad I am allergic to cedarwood.

Maybe I could check out another one of her scents.

I have used the Tallow version of her scent "the Captain", which is a pipe smoke and cherry scented soap. Like Warhark states, this is an excellent soap. I love Stirling Soaps and will be fan of them always. So being spoiled by Stirling, I expected different. The lather this soap made was better. You should really try her soaps out. This can stand up to any soap.

I have used the Tallow version of her scent "the Captain", which is a pipe smoke and cherry scented soap. Like Warhark states, this is an excellent soap. I love Stirling Soaps and will be fan of them always. So being spoiled by Stirling, I expected different. The lather this soap made was better. You should really try her soaps out. This can stand up to any soap.
Hi Steve: I might have to try out "the Captain". Thanks for sharing.

WARHAWK

I've held out long enough, I ordered a Surfs Up vegan puck. I also have a sample of MdC that I'm going to use side by side with Tiki to see how both are.

Great, just what I need. More soap. Thanks for the review Warhawk. I always enjoy reading your thoughts on products you like.

Ingredients looks good. Reminds me of Klar and TFS (which are basically similar to MdC, but with some sodium salts in the mix to firm up the soap at the cost of a bit of lathering ease and stability). That scent is right up my alley too. I'll add it to my list of soaps to try if I ever break down and start buying soaps again. Thanks.

Thanks for this review. I've been reading a lot about this soap in many places so was surprised there is less about it here, especially after such an informative & positive review by warhawk. I have a few pucks on their way to me, Set Sail & Land Locked. I will add my thoughts here after they arrive & I have some time with them.

I ordered the tallow Surf's Up and received a very generous sample (almost 1/2 a puck) of tallow Captain and a bar of soap. The soap is nice and has a strong scent in the shower. I found Surf's Up to be a VERY mild scent. I had to sniff a couple times to find it. I like it.
After reading the description of the Captain it sounded like nothing I would want to try, but once I lathered it up I was impressed with the scent.
I found both very easy to lather and slick. Definitely going to replace them when needed.

NOOOooooo not another soap to try. :cursing:

It's going to take me years to go through the ones I have now, I don't need more temptation :lol:

Where is there a list of her scent descriptions?

I asked Amanda the same question on Etsy and she responded with this:

Set Sail: transports you to a far away land where fields of herbs bloom. A simpler time, where you can relax and unwind.

The Captain: Knows what he wants. Bold, distinctive, unforgettable. A blend of pipe smoke, cherries, ozone, and molten lava.

Surfs Up: Clean and refreshing, with notes of ocean air and greenery.

Land Locked: An earthy, bright blend of fruits and herbs including black pepper, patchouli, and orange.

Salty Air: A blend of sea water and ocean mist with kelp undertones.

Spice Islands: Spicy mango, cilantro, and black pepper.

Fantastic customer service from Amanda, I'm now awaiting an order of 4 soaps from her so will post feedback on these when they arrive!

Thanks for the enabling Mel!

Grade A soap. The only 2 things I can say... First, let them cure a bit more. They are a great soap as soon as they arrive at your door, but if you let it sweat and cure for a month it hits another level. Second is the scent of Spice Island. I took a chance on it, as I haven't seen anything close when it comes to scent, but till she tones down the cilantro I would avoid it. It is dead on, super strong cilantro, and I can't do it. I am letting it air out and hopefully weaken it a bit. If the mango and pepper come through, it could be awesome.

Also the vegan is better than the tallow.

But it is awesome. This and another artisan are in my top 5 or higher without a doubt.

Sigh... another one for the list of soaps to try once I finish what I have (3 years to go, I think). But seriously folks, with all these wonderful soaps to choose from, how does Edge Gel stay on the market?

Top Bottom