What's new

My first jnat

I bought one of the sets of nagurettes Hee Soo was selling on his vendor page and tried them out on my gold dollar today. Seemed to go well. Hht has been very inconsistent lately but I did manage to get one of my wife's hairs to pop a few times -- in the past I've only gotten hht1's with her fine, blonde, dyed brunette hair. Will shave with it in the am.

Awesome !

Can't wait to give it a try as well! :) Haven't honed in a while, it'll be fun to try a few new little rubbing stones!

Dulled on glass then set the bevel with 2 aoto nagura slurries (which I've done in the past). Then botan, followed by tenjou, then koma. Each one slurry. Then a tomo slurry.

Decent shave. Will go back to bevel set but with the DMT then your progression. If that gets it there I have a kamisori that wants a "proper" jnat progression

Well well well, that's much better. Hee Soo, thanks for the tip and the opportunity to try the asano nagura without spending more than I did on my base stone. It was both sharper (which I think is partly from setting the bevel a bit better) and quite a bit smoother. The down side of all this is I don't have time to rehone all my other razors!

Well well well, that's much better. Hee Soo, thanks for the tip and the opportunity to try the asano nagura without spending more than I did on my base stone. It was both sharper (which I think is partly from setting the bevel a bit better) and quite a bit smoother. The down side of all this is I don't have time to rehone all my other razors!

Hone a razor every couple days... Doing two at a time also cuts down on the time

So HeeSoo's suggestion worked so well on my gold dollar I thought I'd change it! Lol. Didn't quite work out how I'd have liked. Yesterday evening I had some time, so I dulled my kamisori then reset the bevel on dmt 1200. Broke 1 aoto slurry to help smooth out the 1200 scratches, which seemed to work. Then 2 botan, 2 tenjyou, 1 Koma, 2 tomo. Seemed nice and sharp, like the gold dollar, so I thought I'd try a few laps on water only. Did maybe 8 laps, going for as little pressure as possible, but my son started talking to me on lap 3 so I might have used a bit more pressure for a lap or two. Hht dropped a couple points. This morning I hht'd again, with freshly showered (no tonic) hair still hht2. The gold dollar got 4's. This was reflected in the shave. Hair came off but with some tugging, so I finished with the gold dollar. I think another tomo slurry should bring it back. If not I'll drop back to loam then tomo. Unfortunately I have to work all weekend so I may not get to it til next week

I had time for a quick tomo slurry this morning before shaving and the shave was quite nice. Hht jumped up to 3-4 range. I will try the koma then tomo x2 as soon as I have a chance

Top Bottom