What's new

My first jnat

If I can get edges like this consistently, I'm already happy. If it gets better, as it should-i can't imagine ive maxxed out the stone after four tries, I'll be absolutely giddy.

How do you feel about these edges vs what you were getting on film?

I don't think I really said it brfore-- I worked the tomo slurry quite a bit more than the previous attempts. It was just starting to feel a little sticky when I was honing at the end.

Once you get a "routine" down that works, that's your ace in the hole. Don't be afraid to experiment. Different size and amount of slurries etc. A nagura set and or different tomos would add to the mix. Not saying you need to but you may want to. There are lots of variables if you want to try them. Thanks for sharing with us here.

I don't think I really said it brfore-- I worked the tomo slurry quite a bit more than the previous attempts. It was just starting to feel a little sticky when I was honing at the end.

If your sticky is the same as what I call sticky - that that usually means it's too thick and it needs wetting.

The sticky feedback may mean the edge was done. Judging by the shave test, Im thinking maybe that was it. Follow the results I say, if you got a great shave with the way you did it, dont go looking for trouble at this stage. Replicate what you did a few more times before you start mixing it up. Your shave sounded great arm hair topping etc.

Last edited:
Honing journal post:

Dovo best edge feeling a little rough. I wanted to see how the aoto would do for setting a bevel so I dulled the edge with one light stroke in the corner of the ozuku. Did circles on the aoto slurry for a bit followed by some x-strokes. The aoto slurry seems quite a bit different when it breaks than the tomo. It starts out pretty gritty feeling and black in color. When it breaks the only change is that it seems a bit less gritty. Its still coarser than the tomo starts, but finer than when it starts. I've gone quite a while in previous uses and it just doesn't get any finer. When I stopped at this point it shaved arm hairs easily. I thought I might have to go through two aoto slurries, but one did the job.

Then raised a tomo slurry. Circles til it was breaking then x-strokes mixed with some sets of half-laps. When done only the toe half of the edge would hht or treetop arm hairs. I think I had not been paying attention and let the shoulder ride up on the hone (I've had this happen with this razor before), so I redid the tomo slurry paying closer attention. Hht wasnt great but I think that was due to hair inconsistencies. Treetopped arm hairs well and the shave was great.

I'm really liking the edges I'm getting from this stone. Up next will be a Frederick Reynolds 13/16 hollow smiler. Very thin blade and gets extremely sharp--too sharp on film. I've gotten more nicks and cuts from this razor than all the others combined, although I think partially that's because its a little longer than all my other razors. Most recently I put a coti edge on it. Its been my best coti edge but its not cutting as well any more so I'll be putting it to the jnat as soon as I find time.

The Reynolds had been previously honed in my la grise coti and had been the only edge I've gotten off the coti that I've been happy with. As I said before, this razor can easily get too sharp on film. The coti edge was much smoother--didnt feel sharp at all but the whiskers came off effortlessly. The last couple shaves with it the edge was not quite as good--pulling a bit atg under my chin. Yesterday evening I pulled out the oozuku asagi and started with an aoto slurry. It has a smile, so I took some more time with x-strokes mixed with sine attempts at circles and half-strokes to cover the whole edge. After the slurry broke down it shaved arm hairs readily. Made a tomo slurry and in retrospect I thinki had very little actual slurry. The slurry is the same color as the base stone so it is very hard to see. I did circles and x- strokes with some pressure and gradually lightened the pressure but never got a darkening of the slurry that I usually see before it breaks. Hht 0-1, which happens sometimes for me even when its sharp, but it wouldn't treetop arm hairs very well and only towards the toe. I rinsed the stone and spent more time making a tomo slurry and this time it worked better. After just a few sets of circles I saw some swarf appearing and the rest went as expected. Hht was still hit-or-miss but the hits were better and covered the whole blade. More importantly the treetopping was good. Stropped and shaved this morning and I was very pleased. Shaved very nicely but still smooth like the coti edge. I did learn that I don't like honing smiling edges too much, althoughbif I had more than one I'd probably get used to it. For me though they don't shave any different, so I'll probably stick to straight edges, at least for now...

Have you attempted a rolling stroke with it? It really makes smiling edges easy to hone and after you learn the stroke it pays off when honing razors like this.

Got a new razor--thus one a hollow, 6/8, with a straight edge. Well its straight now. There was a slight frown but after cleaning it up I honed it out on the DMT 1200. Took about 600 half laps on each side. Then 2 aoto slurries. I could still see some 1200 scratches after the first slurry but they were gone after the second. Followed this with a tomo slurry. The bevel has a narrow area on each side (different places on each side), but does have a bevel all the way across. Stropped and got hht 3's. I've usually done 2,tomo slurries and I may still do a second but I wanted to try just one this time. Will shave with it in the morning.

Update: sharp but not quite as smooth as it could be. I'll go back for another small tomo slurry when I have a chance and see if that gets it there

Last edited:
Update: sharp but not quite as smooth as it could be. I'll go back for another small tomo slurry when I have a chance and see if that gets it there

It took 2 tomo slurries because I didn't get the heel well enough the first time around. Shave was very nice this morning: near BBS everywhere.

I also did another tomo slurry on my Frederick Reynolds smiler. All rolling x-strokes till the slurry broke and smoothed out. Good undercut across the whole blade. Took about 200 laps but the hht was better than it had been. Will shave with it tomorrow.

Update: Frederick Reynolds shave was great. Atg under my chin (the best test of sharpness fir me) was easier than almost any other shave. With rolling x-strokes, it just seems to need a lot more laps

Last edited:
Honing journal post

Finally finished the scales for this 5/8 imperial razor co. Hollow ground with a slight smile.

Didn't bother with the dmt--serlt the bevel with the jnat with aoto slurry. After the first slurry the TNT was just starting to grab. After the second slurry it was very grabby. 30 rolling x- laps and then moved on to tomo. Hht 1 after the first tomo slurry with only a couple palm strops. When honing it wasn't getting as good an undercut at the heel end, so I was paying careful attention to this area. After stropping, great hht towards the heel, but from the middle to about 1cm from the toe only hht1. Shaves and treetops arm hair well across the whole blade. Will update after tomorrow's shave but I suspect I'll have to go back to the stones

Also refreshed my gd with a tomo slurry. Shaves had been getting a bit rough. Seems to have done the trick. Will use this tomorrow or the next day depending on how the imperial does. This gold dollar seems to lose keenness a little faster than most of my other razors. I need to get another gd done so I can see if it is the same. (And I hear there's a competition going on too ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also refreshed my gd with a tomo slurry. Shaves had been getting a bit rough. Seems to have done the trick. . . This gold dollar seems to lose keenness a little faster than most of my other razors.

Hey Chaloney, how many shaves did you get out of the GD before the edge started to go south?

Hey Chaloney, how many shaves did you get out of the GD before the edge started to go south?

I don't actually know. I only know it degraded faster than the others I honed around the same time and I shave with them about equally. I'd guess 6-10 shaves. I've suspected this with past hones of this razor, this time was sort of confirmation.

The imperial does need more work. I could tell with the first stroke. Cut hair but pulled some, not like the other edges off the jnat. The gold dollar that pinch-hit for it was great.

One more tomo slurry with attention paid to the less sharp parts while breaking the slurry then even rolling strokes for a while. At least 100 laps--lost count in around 50 then got an even hht2 across the blade and did at least 40 more laps. Hht 4-5 along the whole blade after stropping. Will try it out in the morning.

Update:
Didn't get to try it yesterday as I was in a rush--did a quick atg only with a de. Today the imperial was worth the wait. Face lathered with tabac and the stubble came off effortlessly. Barely felt it when I splashed on a hefty dose of the veg.

Last edited:
I bought one of the sets of nagurettes Hee Soo was selling on his vendor page and tried them out on my gold dollar today. Seemed to go well. Hht has been very inconsistent lately but I did manage to get one of my wife's hairs to pop a few times -- in the past I've only gotten hht1's with her fine, blonde, dyed brunette hair. Will shave with it in the am.

Top Bottom