What's new

New discovery...

I've been hooked on wet shaving ever since my fiance bought me an Art of Shaving kit back in November. I now have a Merkur Futur, and all sorts of creams and other goodies I use on a regular basis.

I've become very proficient w/ my technique (after a dismal first week of cutting myself..) and have tried many creams, pre shaves, after shaves and everything in between.

I was having a big problem around my Adam's apple were I was ALWAYS getting irritated and getting ingrown hairs... and as most of us know the adam's apple is a very tricky area to shave w/ a DE safety razor. I would swallow and hold my breath to get that area flat and try all sorts of tricks, but I would always cut myself and get a line of ingrown hairs right on my neckline...

So then I stumble upon my brother who swears by King of Shave shaving gel.. after being spoiled to Taylor, Geo F Trumper and all of these wonderful creams and soaps, I frowned at the idea of him using a much lower quality gel. However, he mentioned that he likes it cause he can see perfectly the pattern of hair growth around his neck and doesn't get any ingrown hairs (genetic I guess..)
So I decided to try something out..
He put a little bit inside a plastic bag for me to try..

my next shave, before I lathered w/ one of my many creams or soaps, I put just a little bit on my fingertips and rubbed it around my adams apple and neckline... Then with a cartridge razor ( I know... ) i proceeded to carefully shave and I was actually seeing the pattern of my hair growth! IT GROWS in every single direction!! no wonder I was getting ingrown hairs..
I then proceeded to lather normally w/ my brush and my Taylor cream and shave the rest normally..
RESULT.... NO IRRITATION/ NO INGROWN HAIRS WHATSOEVER!!

Eventually I would love to use my DE around this area, but for now Im content on doing this part w/ my old sensor excel.. (it feels so "cheap" after getting used to my Futur)

IT has been about 2 weeks since this and still no irritation at all -

Today I had the idea of rubbing a bit more of the King of Shaves gel around my whole face (it's very light and virtually fragrance free) I then quickly lathered up on top w/ Taylor's Sandalwood.... and proceeded to have the BEST shave I have had until today !! I used my futur w/ a Gilette Swedish blue blade, which I started yesterday and had few nicks with.. but not today - it glided effortlessly on my face and there was NO irritation whatsoever-

From now on I will use the King of Shaves as a quick pre-shave gel and then lather on top of it - The results were remarkable. I believe it's made in the U.K. I can get it a local supermarket here in San Antonio, TX for about $5

Just thought I'd share....

porteno,

Welcome to the B&B cult... err, I mean board :laugh:. When you really get in to this thing of ours it makes you wish your beard would grow faster...

Welcome aboard!

I love the slick and thickness of Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) but they don't agree with my skin type. :frown:

I tried King of Shaves before, but it just didn't work for me. The trick is, to find what works best for you. If the cartage is working for your Adams apple-- go for it! :smile:

I have recently switched from soaps and creams to gels, because they provide more lubrication and moisturize better (in my case at least). If you like the King of Shaves gel, try the gels from Zirh or Anthony Logistics. I think they are much better. There is no need to put any lather on top, unless you want to, of course.

Best - MM

I've been hooked on wet shaving ever since my fiance bought me an Art of Shaving kit back in November. I now have a Merkur Futur, and all sorts of creams and other goodies I use on a regular basis.

I've become very proficient w/ my technique (after a dismal first week of cutting myself..) and have tried many creams, pre shaves, after shaves and everything in between.

I was having a big problem around my Adam's apple were I was ALWAYS getting irritated and getting ingrown hairs... and as most of us know the adam's apple is a very tricky area to shave w/ a DE safety razor. I would swallow and hold my breath to get that area flat and try all sorts of tricks, but I would always cut myself and get a line of ingrown hairs right on my neckline...

So then I stumble upon my brother who swears by King of Shave shaving gel.. after being spoiled to Taylor, Geo F Trumper and all of these wonderful creams and soaps, I frowned at the idea of him using a much lower quality gel. However, he mentioned that he likes it cause he can see perfectly the pattern of hair growth around his neck and doesn't get any ingrown hairs (genetic I guess..)
So I decided to try something out..
He put a little bit inside a plastic bag for me to try..

my next shave, before I lathered w/ one of my many creams or soaps, I put just a little bit on my fingertips and rubbed it around my adams apple and neckline... Then with a cartridge razor ( I know... ) i proceeded to carefully shave and I was actually seeing the pattern of my hair growth! IT GROWS in every single direction!! no wonder I was getting ingrown hairs..
I then proceeded to lather normally w/ my brush and my Taylor cream and shave the rest normally..
RESULT.... NO IRRITATION/ NO INGROWN HAIRS WHATSOEVER!!

Eventually I would love to use my DE around this area, but for now Im content on doing this part w/ my old sensor excel.. (it feels so "cheap" after getting used to my Futur)

IT has been about 2 weeks since this and still no irritation at all -

Today I had the idea of rubbing a bit more of the King of Shaves gel around my whole face (it's very light and virtually fragrance free) I then quickly lathered up on top w/ Taylor's Sandalwood.... and proceeded to have the BEST shave I have had until today !! I used my futur w/ a Gilette Swedish blue blade, which I started yesterday and had few nicks with.. but not today - it glided effortlessly on my face and there was NO irritation whatsoever-

From now on I will use the King of Shaves as a quick pre-shave gel and then lather on top of it - The results were remarkable. I believe it's made in the U.K. I can get it a local supermarket here in San Antonio, TX for about $5

Just thought I'd share....
hi there, pleased you like the KoS gel, you can get it online in the USA from shave.com or the gels are available at target. best wishes, will king (founder, king of shaves, chesham, bucks uk).

Top Bottom