What's new

How's The .22lr Ammo Supply Out There Now?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Id almost jumped on a good online deal of subsonic s last year, but did a little research first and found they wouldn't cycle anything I owned. Good thing I checked! :)

Out of curiosity, what do you shoot them in?

A suppressed 10/22. Functioning is not 100% reliable with the Aquilas, but it's marginally better than nuthin. Other brands when I can get them are better, but less available and more expensive. I can shoot on my property inside the city limits without disturbing anyone and don't have to drive an hour or more to go to a range.

... Out of curiosity, what do you shoot them in?

I have a 1941 Remington Targetmaster, bolt action, single shot with peep sights. Great fun to shoot. My daughter can easily produce quarter-sized groups at 25 yards.

It likes lead, subsonic rounds the best, I assume that's just due to the design in 1941. So it's alright with me if you guys with suppressed rifles have a bit of trouble with cycling. Leaves more for me! :cool:

Out of curiosity, what do you shoot them in?
I borrowed my father's Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 57A. It's an 8 shot revolver. I don't use it much because it's a royal pain to get the spent brass out. You have to poke something in from the front of each chamber as it is rotated to the unloading port.

I've got an old Nylon-11 rifle that might shoot them, but I've been told that they might get stuck in the barrel. That would be bad.

.... I've got an old Nylon-11 rifle that might shoot them, but I've been told that they might get stuck in the barrel. That would be bad.

I don't think any rifle would have problems with a subsonic round exiting the barrel. They are usually rated 950-1050 fps. The "super quiet" rounds, however, are much slower, something on the order of 400-500 fps and are not recommended in anything with a barrel longer than a revolver. Those rounds don't contain any actual powder, relying on the primer alone to give them their ultra-low report.

Subsonic rounds are quieter than supersonic rounds because you don't get the "crack" of the round breaking the sound barrier. Almost all of my air rifles are subsonic for just that reason.

The day after I picked up my .22 from my parent's place I stopped at Walmart on my way to work and spotted 5-100rd boxes of Super-X on the shelf. They weren't cheap bulk, which I'd prefer for paper and plinking, but shooting is better than not shooting so I bought 3 of them. Hopefully I can find a bulk box or two to shoot and save most of these for whenever I'm actually hunting something.

I've been looking and not finding anything for the last month or two so the timing on this was fantastic. God must be looking out for my shooting hobby! :)

I had to go out of town for a doctors appointment today. After I got done I decided to look at the Bass Pro shop for some powder so I can try out my MEC 600jr shotgun reloader that I rebuilt. Well I struck out on the powder but they had 4 different kinds of 22LR on the shelf with no limit! I picked up a Federal 525 bulk pack, and some CCI Quiet to try out.
This was the second time I have found it in the wild since the panic.

I have seen some at the local academy the last few days. Picked up a 325 round box and some of the super calibre (sp?). I am anxious to try them out. I have a really old single shot 22 that I am thinking of trying them in. I am scared to try anything else in it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
still dry at my local wally world. which is no surprise as 90% of the locals shop there.

I was at Academy yesterday, and they had about 100 boxes from various manufacturers. No bricks. Unfortunately, it appeared the price for a box of 50 target rounds had doubled. :(

Still no .22 lr to speak of around my area. Now .22 mag is also gone and haven't seen any for months. I'm reloading 9mm for around 7 bucks a box so that keeps me busy at the range and I don't have to dig into my .22 stockpile often.

Still no .22 lr to speak of around my area. Now .22 mag is also gone and haven't seen any for months. I'm reloading 9mm for around 7 bucks a box so that keeps me busy at the range and I don't have to dig into my .22 stockpile often.

Are you buying or casting bullets? Picked up brass, I assume.

Are you buying or casting bullets? Picked up brass, I assume.

Brass and bullets bought. I stockpiled and bought in bulk before prices got too stupid and other stuff is recent stock.

Brass $50/1000 delivered.
Cast 125gr bullets $48/1000 delivered
Primers $25.00/1000 delivered
Unique powder $16/lb delivered

Comes out at about $6.80 a box of 50.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Brass and bullets bought. I stockpiled and bought in bulk before prices got too stupid and other stuff is recent stock.

Brass $50/1000 delivered.
Cast 125gr bullets $48/1000 delivered
Primers $25.00/1000 delivered
Unique powder $16/lb delivered

Comes out at about $6.80 a box of 50.

The prices for your supplies are quite cheap, didn't you pay hazmat fees for powder and primers? One can be happy if he finds primers here for around $30, Cabela's sells them for about $42! I was lucky to pick some Remingtons up for $29 at a sale. With my own supplied brass, and using Extreme plated bullets, my 9 mm comes to about 12 cents a piece and the .45 to about 16/17 cents per round.

I picked up some 40-round packs of Federals at Bass Pro in Council Bluffs, IA this past week.

By picking up boxes here and there since early this year I have managed to get to a point that I have enough for a while. I've set aside a stash large enough to deal with varmints for years to come and still be able to do some occasional plinking.

Like mata777, I have been doing most of my plinking with reloaded pistol rounds instead of .22LR. I've outlined most of that in other threads.

The prices for your supplies are quite cheap, didn't you pay hazmat fees for powder and primers? One can be happy if he finds primers here for around $30, Cabela's sells them for about $42! I was lucky to pick some Remingtons up for $29 at a sale. With my own supplied brass, and using Extreme plated bullets, my 9 mm comes to about 12 cents a piece and the .45 to about 16/17 cents per round.

Yes, hazmat was a flat $25 4 years ago from my usual suppliers (I'm not sure how much it may be now). I bought a few 8 pound jugs of powder and around 8k small and large pistol primers that time. Primers are $45 a brick here right now. Your cost to reload 9 and 45 is not bad at all.

I don't think any rifle would have problems with a subsonic round exiting the barrel. They are usually rated 950-1050 fps. The "super quiet" rounds, however, are much slower, something on the order of 400-500 fps and are not recommended in anything with a barrel longer than a revolver. Those rounds don't contain any actual powder, relying on the primer alone to give them their ultra-low report.
Those powderless ones are exactly what I have, thus the concern about using them with a barrel longer than a revolver.

The Council Bluffs Bass Pro Shop had quite a selection of .22 today. There were packs of 50, 100, 300, 525 and 1000 rounds. That made for quite a pile. Prices weren't bad, maybe 4-5 cents per round.

The Council Bluffs Bass Pro Shop had quite a selection of .22 today. There were packs of 50, 100, 300, 525 and 1000 rounds. That made for quite a pile. Prices weren't bad, maybe 4-5 cents per round.

Really proud that you could get in on that ammo find!!!

Those powderless ones are exactly what I have, thus the concern about using them with a barrel longer than a revolver.

Holy cow! Man... Is it illegal to pay you to buy me some and mail it to me??? Haha! Wow!

Happened into Wally today, figured I'd check. Total bust of course. When I asked if they had any by chance, it was obvious by his "No, sorry" and smile that that's probably the norm there.

The Walmart's in Covington, GA are OUT. I am stocked up well enough to make the liberal media freak out if they ever knew. I'd be furious if my kids has none available for their rifles.

Top Bottom