What's new

Blade Reviews Astra-Gillette Wilkinson-Crystal-Personna Blue-Derby

Hi all! I thought I'd offer some feedback on the blades I've used so far. I've used them all in my Merkur 34C except the Crystal which was used in my Ikon OSS and the Derby which was used in my Parker 99R.

Astra SP-This was the first blade I tried in the 34C when I began wet shaving. I got the impression that it was too sharp and not very smooth. I experienced irritation on my 2 shaves with it. I will revisit this blade to determine how much my technique was involved.

Gillette Wilkinson-This was the second blade I tried in my Merkur 34C. The difference in comfort from the Astra SP and this blade was night and day. It was very smooth and still sharp enough to get the job done efficiently. This is my favorite blade to date.

Derby Extra-This was the first blade I used in my 99R. A horrible experience. This blade was certainly less sharp than the Astra SP and the Gillette Wilkinson. Very uncomfortable shave with lots of pulling and tugging. IMHO this blade is junk.

Crystal-This was the first blade I used in the OSS. A good experience. Seems equal to the Gillette Wilkinson for sharpness however it may be just a little less smooth to me, but only very little. I'll try this in my 34C and see how it goes.

Personna Blue-Used in my 34C just this morning. A good experience. Perhaps slightly less sharp than the Gillette Wilkinson but just as smooth. I'll continue to use this blade as well.

Last edited:
MightyEskimo,

Derby Extra test results :frown2:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...89-Derby-Extra-two-week-blade-test?highlight=

Crystal test results :frown2:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/393618-Muhle-R89-Crystal-two-week-blade-test?highlight=

Israeli Personna Red test results :frown1:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...i-Personna-Red-two-week-blade-test?highlight=

Astra SP are currently in progress in the Muhle R89.

I have used Personna Lab in the Muhle R89 as well as the Weber PH and they are a relatively sharp and smooth blade. I have not formally tested them yet. Pleasant shaves.

I also like the 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellows in the Weber PH. Pleasant shaves.

I have had to adjust my prep and it takes time to get used to a particular combo. For sure my technique changes in the two weeks and really nice shaves occur mid to late in the 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Are Crystals the same as Precisions? When I frst got them I thought they were actually Personna Reds but they aren't the same coating so I was wondering if they are the Crystals since they are made in Israel and I've heard that there is only one razor blade manufacturer there.

Hi all! I thought I'd offer some feedback on the blades I've used so far. I've used them all in my Merkur 34C except the Crystal which was used in my Ikon OSS and the Derby which was used in my Parker 99R.

Astra SP-This was the first blade I tried in the 34C when I began wet shaving. I got the impression that it was too sharp and not very smooth. I experienced irritation on my 2 shaves with it. I will revisit this blade to determine how much my technique was involved.

Gillette Wilkinson-This was the second blade I tried in my Merkur 34C. The difference in comfort from the Astra SP and this blade was night and day. It was very smooth and still sharp enough to get the job done efficiently. This is my favorite blade to date.

Derby Extra-This was the first blade I used in my 99R. A horrible experience. This blade was certainly less sharp than the Astra SP and the Gillette Wilkinson. Very uncomfortable shave with lots of pulling and tugging. IMHO this blade is junk.

Crystal-This was the first blade I used in the OSS. A good experience. Seems equal to the Gillette Wilkinson for sharpness however it may be just a little less smooth to me, but only very little. I'll try this in my 34C and see how it goes.

Personna Blue-Used in my 34C just this morning. A good experience. Perhaps slightly less sharp than the Gillette Wilkinson but just as smooth. I'll continue to use this blade as well.

I find that Derby works best in my more aggressive razors, and unsatisfactory in most of my razors. Performs best in an EJ89 and my red tip super speed

Top Bottom