What's new

Thater translation: PERFECTION

Thater doesn't get enough love around here. Why? I don't know.

Where to begin...

Right! I've experienced many grades of hair in different formats: Simpson's Best, Super, 2-Band, Shavemac D01 3-Band, Boars galore, M&F Blonde & Rooney Heritage Gel Tip, Rooney 3-Band Silvertip, TGN Finest, Thater 2-Band, Savile Row 3-Band, etc. etc. etc.

If I had to choose my favorite grade of hair? It'd be a toss up between current Simpson 2-Band and Thater.

Overall, I have to tip my hat to Thater. Economically and ergonomically sound. Their incredibly cool octagon handles are superbly comfortable to handle. Even with a soapy, slippery hand, I can keep a firm grip on my 4125/2. It's knot? Perfectly shaped into a bulb. I've heard these brushes described as lacking backbone and not very dense. In my opinion, that couldn't be further from the truth. The bulb shape adds to the already 2-banded badger hair to give it ample backbone for hard soaps, soft soaps, creams, etc. The density is just right - no hogging whatsoever, has a very gentle and beautiful face feel. It maintains it's shape, splays when needed while not flopping over. Hooked, gel-like tips? You betcha. It doesn't get any softer. Or does it...

I just ordered a 4125/2 3-Band in Off-white :D. I cannot wait to compare the two.

With this post, I want to create some NOISE for Thater. Aside from the famous 4125 models, what other models do you guys enjoy? I'd love a reason to pick up another 2-Band beauty from Thater. 26mm knots and larger are my preference.

What does THATER mean to you?!

Side note: How can I get in touch with the manufacturers? I would love to see if they do customs ;)

View attachment 414906 $HR_411-139-00_thater-4125-2-chubby-silvertip-badger-shaving-brush_340x255.jpg

Last edited:
If you've wanted to try a Thater for some and are on the fence about it, let this post be the reason you pull the trigger :)

SB Addicts - this ones for you!

THATER makes a great brush! I have the 4125/1 in three and two band, without doubt the best quality per dollar brushes I own (with the exception of the M&F Chief).

Last edited:
I had already decided my next brush would be a 4125/2. Thanks to you I might be ordering it sooner rather than later.

Thäter does make an excellent brush. Their quality and pricing is very competitive with the rest of the big brands. I agree that they should receive more recognition than they do. I had this one but traded it for a Dirty Bird scuttle. It was labeled as a bulb but looked more like a hybrid to me. I prefer M&F/Rooney but I think you guys already knew that :001_cool:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Holding off on any comparisons for now, but I do really like my 4125/1.

You guys are making me second guess going with the 1.

$uploadfromtaptalk1392754664480.jpg

Last edited:
To me Thäter means a gorgeously soft but dense facial massage, that creates and releases great lather! There's some serious Thäter love here too...

$SOTD 2013-12-06.jpg
PS glad to have you back Brian! Not heard from you in a while buddy.

Last edited:
Thanks Reevers. Busy with life - plus I ran out of cell phone data (where I do 95% of my forum work) halfway through the month. The sabbatical and lack of purchases made for less exciting times in my shaving world. But I'm back at it! Failed the sabbatical and looking to trade, swap, and sell!

I have a 4125/2 2 band bulb which I easily matches or beats any of my Rooney heritage or M&F brushes. After reading this thread, I am kinda sorry that I did not use it this morning but guess which brush gets lathered up tomorrow?... I'm gazing longingly at it now...

I completely agree with the Op's assessment and recommend at least 1 Thater in everyone's den!

Thaters go unnoticed in the world of Simpsons, Rooneys and so on! I want to start a Thater movement on the forums starting with this post ;)

I have a Thater 4292 size 3 Silvertip and love it. Of my 20 badger brushes it's one of my top 5 and quite possibly my number 1 brush.

They have pretty good backbone considering that their lofts have extra height! Not as much backbone as a Rooney, nowhere near as much backbone as D01 2-band.

They have pretty good backbone considering that their lofts have extra height! Not as much backbone as a Rooney, nowhere near as much backbone as D01 2-band.

Thanks. I had been considering one as part of a recent brush binge, but had concerns about the loft in particular... Of course, now the money is spent, so maybe some other brush binge...

I have a 4125/3 2-band bulb that is my favorite brush. I agree with everything the OP says about Thaters. I have a Rooney, Simpson Best and 2-band, and a Vie-Long Silvertip Beehive, but the Thater is my favorite by far. I really want to get another in a smaller size. Plenty of backbone with butter soft tips. I love using it!

Top Bottom