What's new

Brian was so right.

I have a 540...somewhere. The cap completely separated from the metal clip. Yep, I got a brand new cap in a week. Customer service was great.

The pen now sits, empty, tossed in a drawer. The most positive thing I can say about it...it came in a really nice box?

Doc, is that really fair? It seems highly unlikely that anyone would be able to find a $5 Kaweco any more.

They're two very different pens as well. Reforms are only available vintage, whereas Kaweco pens are still being made (although vintage models can be found).

Looking on ebay, it seems the price of a vintage Reform is similar the price of a new Kaweco. Granted, you're at the mercy of an ebay seller's honesty :crying:.

I think an interesting, and potentially informative exercise would be a detailed look at the "affordable" available German options. Lamy, Kaweco, and Reform are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread though, so as not to derail the OT.

but the Reform is the same price and is a piston filler.

Sure, if you want a piston filler regardless of the nib quality, your choice is made for you.

I've got 3 spare NOS Reforms that I will PIF to people who are curious about them. Can i do that here or should i start a new thread?

Sure, if you want a piston filler regardless of the nib quality, your choice is made for you.

I've got 3 spare NOS Reforms that I will PIF to people who are curious about them. Can i do that here or should i start a new thread?

That's very generous... but I just bought 2. ;)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Doug, you seem a well informed chap - what's your take on the Reform ? Is there better German budget?

Probably not, but a used M200 fits my bill. But since you ask:
Not everyone gets along nicely with the old-fashioned feel of the steel Reform nib and the pen is rather dainty.

The Kaweco is really short when capped (posted is OK) and it doesn't come with a clip (accomodation clips available). Great pen for the price.

The latest Pelikano Jr is aimed at a younger market and is styled accordingly. Smooth and bombproof nibs.

Top Bottom