What's new

Proraso green vs D R Harris Arlington

I've used both and for me,the DR Harris Arlington is much superior in overall performance.And I really like the scent. No contest,IMO

Craig

I prefer the Arlington also if forced to choose between the two.

However they are totally different soaps and IMO both are excellent so I'd say you need them both :)

Travis

How do these two creams compare (in your experience) with regards to performance?

Cheers

Not an easy choice. I like Proraso (Green) because it has a clean scent and it is very easy to lather. It takes little or plenty of water to make a reliable, slick lather. I know you didn't include price into criteria but I must say that, in my opinion, Proraso is one of the best-valued cream on the market.

Arlington is an excellent, actually outstanding cream. It has an amazing scent and a perfect lather. However, it is very expensive. But I know you didn't want to hear this.

So, I would choose Arlington, today. Oh, better yet, get both and use them one week at a time.

The Arlington is better if you get the lather right.
Arlington needs very little water and it is perfect for face lathering. Put that cream in a bowl and add too much water and it becomes unusable. Again, my amateurish opinion.

I find the DR Harris creams good, but not better than other British or Italian creams, and certainly not worth a price premium over Proraso. DR Harris soaps, however, are exceptional. I just hope DR Harris does not try to "improve" them like TOBS and GFT.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've used both and for me, the DR Harris Arlington is much superior in overall performance. And I really like the scent. No contest,IMO

Craig

This, but in exactly opposite order... To me Proraso > Harris, but as my friend Craig says IMHO.

Proraso for me is a better performer, or shall I say an easier performer. Harris performs very well obviously, but performs better and better with experience and patience, where as Proraso performs in every which way you would want it to right off the bat. With regards to skincare qualities, I don't think you can even compare the 2, Harris is far more superior, but of course JUST my opinion.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but id like to say Arlington is one of my absolute favorite creams. I haven't even tried Harris's soaps, but I love the cream. I have a tub of the Arlington and the stuff is so easy to lather and with a good wet brush it literally explodes in the bowl with ample density lather and you can then message it into your face off the brush and it continues to thicken. Quality stuff. Excellent glide and cushion. I love proraso too, blue is one of my favorite creams also, but the Harris just performs better IMO. For the price though proraso simply cannot be beat. Harris is my favorite of the British stuff, followed by trumpets. TOBS is a disappointment to me. Every shave I've had with the stuff leaves me raw and damaged. It's peanuts packaged in a champagne bottle

I wish I could find a scent profile for the Arlington though. My sniffer is almost broken sometimes. I'm not good at smelling stuff unless it is extremely potent (ie eau de toilettes) OR if someone explains the scent to me and I have an idea of what it is. Then, with some vigorous sniffing, I can usually pick out the fragrance. Really not good.

I wish I could find a scent profile for the Arlington though. My sniffer is almost broken sometimes. I'm not good at smelling stuff unless it is extremely potent (ie eau de toilettes) OR if someone explains the scent to me and I have an idea of what it is. Then, with some vigorous sniffing, I can usually pick out the fragrance. Really not good.

The Arlington scent is mainly citrus (lemon) and fern. Maybe some musk for depth.

How do these two creams compare (in your experience) with regards to performance?

Cheers
In my opinion, Proraso = outstanding performance, Arlington = outstanding scent.
Proraso is way ahead of Arlington when it comes to everything but scent.

If I had to choose between the two, as much as I enjoy a nice scented cream, I would still choose Proraso.

In my opinion, Proraso = outstanding performance, Arlington = outstanding scent.
Proraso is way ahead of Arlington when it comes to everything but scent.

If I had to choose between the two, as much as I enjoy a nice scented cream, I would still choose Proraso.

To me the smell of eucalyptus is very sharp and medicinal, which is exactly the kind of smell I like best when I'm shaving. Goes perfectly with the smell of alcohol, witch hazel, and shiny metal tools (okay you'll have to strain to smell that last one). Another similar scent is tea tree oil.

Arlington is right up the alley of "scents I don't like", which is fougeres and fruit.

Top Bottom