What's new

What happened to taking your hat off inside?

Well, to the raw recruit those two days seemed like ten years ...

:001_rolle

Well, it's been a long, long time. But the best I recall you are absolutely correct.

It was pointed out to me that on my second day in boot camp I wrote my family asking why they hadn't written me yet. So, yes, those two days took a lifetime.

https://youtu.be/Uvp71LGVISs

Last edited:
While I have no real idea where the custom of taking one's hat off originated from, it would seem to naturally follow from the fact that a hat is meant to be worn outside for protection against the sun and weather. So it would show respect to remove it while in doors, primarily as a way for the guest to acknowledge that they are now in a comfortable safe place. As it was not that many decades ago (certainly less than a century) when many homes and structures were poorly heated.

Again this is my reasoning and not necessarily factual, but if I walked into your home or business at the turn of the 20th century and kept my dirty hat on I could see it sending a disrespectful message about your place. As if I considered that I was still outside or in a barn.

While I have no real idea where the custom of taking one's hat off originated from, it would seem to naturally follow from the fact that a hat is meant to be worn outside for protection against the sun and weather. So it would show respect to remove it while in doors, primarily as a way for the guest to acknowledge that they are now in a comfortable safe place. As it was not that many decades ago (certainly less than a century) when many homes and structures were poorly heated.

Again this is my reasoning and not necessarily factual, but if I walked into your home or business at the turn of the 20th century and kept my dirty hat on I could see it sending a disrespectful message about your place. As if I considered that I was still outside or in a barn.
I think the origin is that soldiers would take off their helmets in the presence of their sovereign or lord both to show their face and as a sign of vulnerability, and over time this evolved both into the raising of hats by civilians, and the salute by the military (too dangerous actually to take the hat off, plus it demonstrated that your weapon hand was otherwise engaged).

And while we're at it, why don't we all touch our forelocks when the squire passes by on his horse?
Personally, I always touch my forelocks whether there is a horse involved or not. It's kind of a nervous habit, especially around horses.:bored:

It seems clear that this tradition lives on strongly in the military and among our veterans. :thumbup1:

These fine chaps, however, could drive themselves all crazy expecting all the civilians to be able to polish their boots, square away their cots, and remember to take off their hats like they had a decade of military training.
I, for one, think it is ridiculous and more than a little sad if a "man" cannot polish his own boots/shoes/fender or make his own bed. Furthermore, there should be nothing that any man or woman, civilian or otherwise, should not be able to do. It is a culture of dependence in a country with a foundation in rugged independence. It is unamerican and a symptom of multiculturalism, cultural duality, and the diminishing of traditions under the guise of respecting the traditions of others.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me) and how they want to live their lives, but it would be rude of me to knowingly go to a vegan restaurant and demand steak. If I decide to go to a vegan restaurant, I have to accept their rules/ways/culture and not expect to impose mine on them. That is, after all, why one would willingly and knowingly enter any particular environment. The world is falling apart and can only be related to normality if men resume doffing their hats when inside a respectable establishment. :blink:

I hope old this comes across as intended and not as some angry jackass comment.

I would imagine that wearing a large hat inside would be imposing and a bit cumbersome. And if everyone did so, the issue would be compounded. But that's just me imagining.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hat etiquette isn't what it should be, corrupted either because hats went out of fashion or from working outside or part time with construction after drying a house in. Never thought of taking off my hat while we were building, or when in a barn, and, as hats went out of fashion, there wasn't much emphasis on where to and where not to wear a hat (outside the military, of course). I knew to take a hat off in church or in a home or restaurant, and to take it off during the National Anthem and when the flag goes by. When outdoors and have my hat on and someone prays, I remove it. But in stores and fast food establishments . . . eh. I'm not against removing my hat in such circumstances, but it tends to slip my mind.

I've never been in a place so swanky it had a hat and coat check, but remember hat and coat racks in restaurants. These days I place my hat on the table, crown down, half hoping someone will make a donation, but that never happens. :whistling:

Late in life it occurred to me that I wasn't tipping my hat. I've tried to remedy that, but it's hard to remember.

Western standard rules for male hat wearers:

Hat stays on:

in public buildings like train stations, inside an airport
if you are a cop, security, military personal or other professional on duty (who may need his hands free)

The hat comes off (hat in hand):

when you enter a private home or room in a private home, restaurant, business
during ceremonies that require respect (wearing a dress hat at a funerals is okay, but during the gravesite ceremony it must come off)
when driving, unless you are Indiana Jones or a Bavarian redneck ("Mann mit Hut") or you wear the hat as part of a uniform; caps, berets and pilot helmets are okay, especially when driving a convertible, bus or truck.

The hat gets tipped if:

you want to show respect to someone, especially those of the opposite gender
feel a little hot under the musty old lid
want to get your jollies by exhibiting your bald spot

A variant to tipping your hat is a salute, if:

you are a service member and come upon a superior rank \
you want to mock sarcastically, usually combined with a sardonic smirk
you want to be different
you are very lax

You throw down your hat if you are a standoffish Aussie, or if you need to trap a bird, toad etc

You throw your hat in the ring if you intend to join the melée

You pass the hat if you need money on the spot

You remain under your hat if you are a spy (especially a blackhat spy), or if you are very very tiny.

You wear several hats when you pretend to be a professional mechanic, airline pilot, resort chef and neurosurgeon on the Internet.

You are mad as a hatter if you use traditional felting methods.

Feel free to add to this list!

But what about toupée etiquette?

Last edited:
Yeah.

If we all approach this as a question of "what should I, as a kind and gentle man, do to demonstrate my respect for others in all situations?" rather than "what should others do to demonstrate the proper level of respect to me?", then we will all be fine.

Unfortunately, there are always far too many fellows out there who will "push the envelope" in a selfish way, for whom specific, detailed rules are needed.
Wise words.

Aloha,

Well, I just follow what dear old dad taught me. If you wear a hat indoors expect it to be slapped off your head (especially caps.) Just takes one time and you will never do it again.

Mahalo

Now we've graduated to slapping. It's a hat, get over it.

Indeed. I believe somebody'd get their butt whooped if they slapped a hat off my head. It seems there are a lot of "Gentlemen" here who clutch their pearls at the slightest things. It's a hat, it's indoors, move on with your life.

I used to follow the take it off while inside rule, but no more. Many times it is just too awkward to carry it around in my hand. Definetly off in church, I just get a seat near the end of a pew so I can leave a little space to place it on the seat. As far as sit down restaurants, if there is an extra chair it comes off, if no place to safely place it it stays on my head. I will not place it on a table. Very few establishemts have safe manned hat checks any longer, so I choose safety for my hat.

I agree with you. It's an interesting conversation these days about wearing a hat. I always wear a hat but I find, looking around, that I'm usually the only one that I see (except in the winter with people wearing woolens). I read once that many years ago, it was common to have places to put your hat--they used to have, for instance, movie theater seats with a small shelf under the seat for your hat. And most restaurants had a hat check area to check your hat. Nowadays, as you say, there's just no place to put it.

Now we've graduated to slapping. It's a hat, get over it.

It's hat, a cap, a piece of clothing, head protection.....but, removing a hat displays proper respect, manners, attitude, class, good habits, being polite, and much more. Depending on the persons age the wearing of a hat differs in our society.

When you sat at either of my grandfather's table wearing a hat (by the way no one ate until he said too), he would ask you if your head was cold. Until the hat was removed the meal was placed on hold. Yes sir/ma'am and no sir/ma'am were widely use also. In most cases the older generation didn't demand respect they well earned it.

Go to the Tomb of the Unknowns and wear your hat and you will quickly find out it is not "just a hat."

To each his own and that what makes us human, but in MY house, the hat, is removed at the door. Happy shaves!

Ah Edinburgh castle. I pulled many guard duties there in the early eighties while in the Army. We were young the tourists were pretty. When we brought them inside the castle at night more than hats came off. Such disrespect. Oh well. :w00t:

Now i have to take my helmet off? :biggrin:
If it's chainmail or steel or one of them kaiser things with the golden spike, yes.

If it's tinfoil, feel free to keep it on, but would you mind sitting at the table at the back? No not that one, further...further...

Top Bottom