What's new

Lucky day - I found Great-Grandfather's pen

Today my father gave me my great-grandfather's Sheaffer. We were digging around in an old writing desk. Any idea as to what kind? And the next question is what is the first step to get it back usable?
Am I correct by thinking it is a pic ton filler. I can unscrew the back cap and it slides out like a plunger.

Any help is appreciated.
$photo 1.JPG$photo 2.JPG

Great find! Enjoy the family heirloom. Some experts will be along, but the first step is just a soaking the nib in room temperature water.

That is something special for sure. Enjoy the heck out of that pen, ill defer the service to Doug Brian or one of our expert types on these pens, you may want to send the pen out.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It looks like a Sheaffer Admiral with the Touchdown filling system. Fantastic pen.

That it does. To confirm, when the blind cap (opposite the nib end) is unscrewed and pulled out, is it a small diameter rod or a larger one -- being the Touchdown.

Nice find on those C/F carts, that's a highly desirable and valuable commodity for many Waterman owners, they've been extinct for years!

Congrats! Judging by the un-ambered visulated section your Sheaffer hasn't seen much ink.

Congratulations! If it needs to be restored, Danny Fudge apparently does good work for a very reasonable price. I'm about to send him four pens, actually.

-Andy

That is an incredible find. I don't know anything about pens so I am no help there, but the fact it was your great grandfathers makes it an incredible pen indeed.

Sheaffer TD pens are sturdy, and easily restored. The worst that can happen is that the inner parts are corroded, but there are enough spare parts around. Great family heirloom!

(I still have the pen my granddad used, but no sac in it at the moment. I don't want to discolor the celluloid)

It appears to be the dip tip, instead of the snorkel. I cleaned the nib with some water (it shined up nice) but haven't really touched it more. I pumped the pic ton some in a cup of water and got some ink moving out of it. I see the consensus is to ship it off for a restore. I would hate that I messed it up. You can see in the pics where he taped his name on the pen.
$photo 1-2.JPG$photo 2-2.JPG$photo 3.JPG$photo 4.JPG$photo 5.JPG

Danny Fudge has restored more than a few pens for me. I keep going back because they keep coming back to me in great shape.

Allow me to pile on the recommendations for Danny Fudge. He's done several pens, including a couple of Sheaffers, for me and I have three pens with him right now for work. Quality, price, and speed are all top-notch.

I definitely plan to send the pen to Danny. Checked out his website. I will need to wait till next month/pay period. I have already spent over my allotment for this month.

I did ink it up. Seems to be working fine. No leaks. The plunger made the psst sound. I used a light ink just incase.

Pitiful handwriting. The pen is very small, just not use to holding something like that.

$photo-2.JPG

Great looking pen! and even better .. the legacy it carries for you, belonging to your great-grandfather and all .. even his name tag for a personal touch.

Top Bottom