What's new

Shave-wise, how do the higher end Gillettes compare to "regular" Gillettes?

I have a Fat Boy and a Slim Adjustable that I really want to like, but can't get as good of a shave as I can with my Mergress or Slant. I know some of the Aristocrats like the 66 are supposed to have a better build quality, but performance wise is there really a difference between a $150 Gillette and a $25 one? I'm guessing the value has more to do with the rarity and collectability.

I have a Fat Boy and a Slim Adjustable that I really want to like, but can't get as good of a shave as I can with my Mergress or Slant. I know some of the Aristocrats like the 66 are supposed to have a better build quality, but performance wise is there really a difference between a $150 Gillette and a $25 one? I'm guessing the value has more to do with the rarity and collectability.

I get great shaves with the old Gillettes but I agree that the difference in value is that the "high end" Gillettes are collectibles. BTW, I got probably the closest shave I ever got with a 1960 Fatboy.

I have used a few older Gillettes, a black handled adjustable from the 60s or 70s, a superspeed, a tech, and finally went for an aristocrat from one of our members, which so far gives me the best shave of all of them. However this was not one of the $150 or $300 razors. There is no way that a razor would be worth that much to me.
Another recent acquisition was a New from ebay, and it works pretty well, but is the first open comb model I have used, and that is taking quite a lot of getting used to. Seems like the comb is irritating my skin much more that the blade.:smile:

First, there are a thousand wonderful shaves in a cheap brassed-out flea market Super-Speed.

Second, the more expensive Rocket is out of this world--comfort, durability, performance.

Third, it's the Slant...nothing shaves like the Slant.

Me

PaulR

I acquired a barberpole Aristocrat recently, while on vacation (paid $10 for it and 2 old comb guard razors:w00t:). I've used it twice with a garden-variety AP and both times was impressed with its weight and the closeness of the shave it gave me.

That said, the other Gillette I really love is my old Slimtwist.

To me there's no such thing as a bad Gillette DE, but some are better than others.

Best Regards

Graham

I don't think price has anything to do with the quality of shave. For many who just want a close shave, it's nuts to pay big bucks.

Collectors are different.

Al

Is there a difference? Perhaps, but it is small. I personally can't tell the difference in results between a #16, #58, HD Rocket, or President. Any improvement is not worth the premium paid over a Merkur HD. I'm thinking of selling some of them (don't send me emails, I've not made up my mind) as all I really want is a good shave.

Ironically my most collectible Gillette - a President - gives me a worse shave than most of my other Gillettes. I've only tried it with one blade - a Sharp - which works well for me in other Gillette razors, so I will try it with Derbys, Swedes, Dorcos, but it's not the razor I go to for a BBS shave. (Not selling, don't ask).

I've had very good shaves with a '55 Aristocrat, and with an open comb Aristocrat, which are my next tier collectible Gillettes.

jim

I've yet to shave with a Gillette SS-style razor (fixed or adjustable) that realy does it for me. My favourite Gillette is the humble NEW - just a fantastic shaver.

Other than the NEW, I get my best shaves from my Merkur Classic and my injectors.

The razor is just a blade holder. Some, due to design, may be easier to use for some people, due to their personal technique. I use a slant, 38C, Gillette adjustables, Techs, Shick injectors and DE's and Gillette open combs with roughly the same end result. The more aggressive ones get to the end result quicker and easier. Most SS are still a problem for me. The red tip is the exception.

I've yet to shave with a Gillette SS-style razor (fixed or adjustable) that realy does it for me. My favourite Gillette is the humble NEW - just a fantastic shaver.

Other than the NEW, I get my best shaves from my Merkur Classic and my injectors.

Totally agree with Chris' shout out to the NEW. :thumbup1: I am a big fan of the 40's SuperSpeeds as well.

My experience is very limited, but my British Aristocrat 66 gives me far better shaves than my Tech. Better than the Merkur 38C, too.

I love the balance, weight and aggressiveness.

Is there a difference? Perhaps, but it is small. I personally can't tell the difference in results between a #16, #58, HD Rocket, or President. Any improvement is not worth the premium paid over a Merkur HD. I'm thinking of selling some of them (don't send me emails, I've not made up my mind) as all I really want is a good shave.

I agree. My HD shaves on par with my more expensive razors. I paid what I paid to collect, not to improve shave quality.

president and diplomat have really hard brass metal base
many only need fix the safety bar blade gap

Last edited:
you're right , these so called "high end" razors are expensive bec of its rarity and collectability (I'm not saying they dont perform well) ....my go to razors are the "normal" but very reliable Superspeeds and Slim....and not forgetting the Kronas and NEW.....for me, these razors perform like champs

my best Gillette shaves come from tech's, my best shave overall....straights and the Shick injectors. my best shave ever... Shick G type w/Personna 74 blade...why oh why did they stop making these blades??? pure perfection they are.

I have had decent shaves from Techs but by far the best shaves are from a $12 Aristocrat I have. I think it's better than the adjustables I have. YMMV

Top Bottom