What's new

Why do you like wet shaving?

I started with a straight a couple years ago and found that I just didn't have time to dedicate to perfecting the art. It just wasn't mixing with my on-the-go family life. Before I knew it I was back raking my face with a cartridge. More recently DE shaving entered my life and I am hooked- but why? I can't figure out why something I've done for so many years (as a chore) has recently become so interesting and enjoyable for me. Really can't put my finger on it. I know my wife thinks I have a screw loose when I text her about a great shave I just had...

I don't really care why I enjoy it so much, but I was curious as to what some of the other members enjoy most about wet shaving.

I can't figure out why something I've done for so many years (as a chore) has recently become so interesting and enjoyable for me. Really can't put my finger on it.
I'm not sure why I enjoy it either. I just know that I look forward to tomorrow morning so I can do it again. Here are some of the thoughts that run through my head:

1. The challenge and joy of building an excellent lather?
2. The pleasure of using sharp instruments skillfully?
3. The satisfaction of creating a smooth face that my wife appreciates?

Aside from the fact that it's so cool to use an old technology and get much better results?

I appreciate how real shave soaps and creams leave my face feeling afterwards. I love the great scents and that making a lather with a brush and shaving with a DE requires some skill.

Comfort on my face and the unlimited number of products (razors, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes) for variety on every shave. Also that it feels luxurious.

Aside from the fact that it's so cool to use an old technology and get much better results?

I appreciate how real shave soaps and creams leave my face feeling afterwards. I love the great scents and that making a lather with a brush and shaving with a DE requires some skill.

I agree with this completely and, I might add, that it takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to have a great shave. That is time I spend with myself...nobody else. This planet has become so fast that it's difficult to find "alone time." The shaving process gives me that time. Shaving with DE's takes focus and concentration. I find it peaceful when I have to prepare all the products and tools that lead me to doing something which I know will make me feel good when I'm done...an accomplishment, for lack of a better term. Yeah, yeah...my wife thinks I'm nuts too!

It's peaceful

almost serene

it's harkens back to a by gone age, where men took there time and did things right

It's freaking cool too.

building up a lather with a nice brush, massaging it into the hair

the beautiful audible sound when cutting thru whiskers

applying a beautiful smelling balm or splash

no ingrowns, no razor burn, no little acne

alone time, perfecting an art. It's noble, virtuous.

Plato would be proud of us

I started due to ingrown hairs. But I like it, because it give a better shave than the plastic toy razors. Newer is not always better.

Really can't put my finger on it. (...)I don't really care why I enjoy it so much, but I was curious as to what some of the other members enjoy most about wet shaving.

I think it's a few things. First of all, shaving with a cartridge is using a system, cookie cutter and bland. One M3 is completely interchangeable with another. There's no soul. Sure, it gets the job done, but it seems to me (based on my use of them) that it's more of a perfunctory exercise. It requires almost no prep (at least the way I did it), and an accordingly lower skill level to get good results. I used these for about a decade before I switched to DE last October. For those that are still using cartridges and are happy with them, this is not intended to be a slight. This is just my impression based on my own experience.

On the other hand, you have a DE razor, which hearkens back to an older era when society had a certain standard that people knew they had to abide by. There's a certain romance to that notion. Given the choices of razors and blades, you can customize your experience to your heart's desire while using what today could be considered an artisan's tool. You check the box "clean shaven" as a side effect of the experience, but the experience is more enjoyable than the checking the box -- at least, again, based on my own experience.

Second of all, there's pride in a job well done. Using a tool that requires a certain level of skill to use properly in the manner in which it was intended to produce a smooth, comfortable shave makes a fellow smile -- or at least it does for this fellow!

Third of all, it's taking the road less traveled. So many of us, including myself, started off our shaving lives in the Cartridge Zone. We've since decided to take the road less traveled, and with apologies to Robert Frost, that makes all the difference to us. We're joining a line that extends back centuries, and that, too, holds a certain romance. It's something our fathers probably did, our grandfathers almost definitely did, as did theirs, and so on.

Fourth of all, it makes a chore something you look forward to. Maybe our fathers felt this way when they started using cartridges, because they didn't have to go through all the hassle of prep, and time, and cleaning up after, etc.

Anyway, I've waxed romantic enough about this. That's my $0.02, such as it is!

The lack of irritation traditional wet shaving provides this is the main reason. There are an abundant amount of soaps to select from as well as razors and razor blades. Luckily, through trial and error I was able to find the combination that gives me a shave without irritation. The plastic carts and foam in a can were a terrible experience on my skin something that I can live without.

I like the art of wet shaving. Time stands still for me while I'm shaving and I forget about everything else. I like going through each and every step trying to achieve that perfect shave. And of course trying out so many great products that are out there.

Here's what it is for me:
- Better, smoother, more enjoyable shave than cartridge
- Variety of options for each shave in the morning
- Feeling of accomplishment when a wet shave is complete, as it requires skill and experience.

I think it's a few things. First of all, shaving with a cartridge is using a system, cookie cutter and bland. One M3 is completely interchangeable with another. There's no soul. Sure, it gets the job done, but it seems to me (based on my use of them) that it's more of a perfunctory exercise. It requires almost no prep (at least the way I did it), and an accordingly lower skill level to get good results. I used these for about a decade before I switched to DE last October. For those that are still using cartridges and are happy with them, this is not intended to be a slight. This is just my impression based on my own experience.

On the other hand, you have a DE razor, which hearkens back to an older era when society had a certain standard that people knew they had to abide by. There's a certain romance to that notion. Given the choices of razors and blades, you can customize your experience to your heart's desire while using what today could be considered an artisan's tool. You check the box "clean shaven" as a side effect of the experience, but the experience is more enjoyable than the checking the box -- at least, again, based on my own experience.

Second of all, there's pride in a job well done. Using a tool that requires a certain level of skill to use properly in the manner in which it was intended to produce a smooth, comfortable shave makes a fellow smile -- or at least it does for this fellow!

Third of all, it's taking the road less traveled. So many of us, including myself, started off our shaving lives in the Cartridge Zone. We've since decided to take the road less traveled, and with apologies to Robert Frost, that makes all the difference to us. We're joining a line that extends back centuries, and that, too, holds a certain romance. It's something our fathers probably did, our grandfathers almost definitely did, as did theirs, and so on.

Fourth of all, it makes a chore something you look forward to. Maybe our fathers felt this way when they started using cartridges, because they didn't have to go through all the hassle of prep, and time, and cleaning up after, etc.

+1 for Random Shaver. Couldn't have said it better myself.

There are enough different aspects of traditional wet shaving to keep me interested..... and it's something I have to do everyday anyway. I think as you get older you tend to appreciate the simple things. You experience the chaos of society and you begin to yearn for routine, ritual, and simple pleasure.

Ben

So many great responses and thoughts...I have certainly identified, or maybe clarified, some more reasons I enjoy wet shaving that I perhaps wasn't able to put into words before reading some of your posts.

Awesome....thanks.

It's peaceful

almost serene

it's harkens back to a by gone age, where men took there time and did things right

It's freaking cool too.

building up a lather with a nice brush, massaging it into the hair

the beautiful audible sound when cutting thru whiskers

applying a beautiful smelling balm or splash

no ingrowns, no razor burn, no little acne

alone time, perfecting an art. It's noble, virtuous.

Plato would be proud of us

Very well put...

Top Bottom