What's new

Guys, please help.how do YOU tuck in YOUR dress shirts?

Just curious how ya'll tuck in your dress shirts when you are wearing a tie and dress slacks. My tailor (who is a fairly young guy in his late 30's/early 40's) told me that you are supposed to have "just a smidge of blousing" going on. That is to say, the dress shirt should not be tucked in so tightly that it is basically pulled taut down your stomach. He said that the "ideal amount of blousing" would be that the shirt kinda obscures/comes out over the top of the belt buckle. Do you guys agree, or do you try to tuck in your dress shirts "military style" to where there is ZERO BLOUSING and the front of the shirt is basically ramrod straight, pulled nice and tight?

When I was younger, I purposefully untucked my shirt slightly to get that "blousing." In retrospect, I don't think that it looks good at all. I tuck in my undershirt into my underwear (I learned this trick on this forum, thanks!) helps keep it tucked in, and prevents billowing. Then tuck in my dress shirt as per norm, and it stays nicely down. Granted, I am very slim, so I have no stomach. Consequently, an even line from my shirt to my pants looks best on my body type, without a break of an awkwardly sticking out shirt.

no big blousing. tuck the shirt in, move your arms a bit up and that's good for me.. but make sure the shirt has some length otherwise it'll pull out the sides..

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

"Blouses are what girls wear."

Military clean lines look fine if you have a washboard stomach, otherwise a certain degree of blousing occurs naturally. The undershirt in your drawers will fight the billowing as mentioned. Another trick for non-bespoke shirts for those of us with narrower hips to chest (18 neck/35 sleeve, 46 chest/34 waist), even when using athletic/fitted shirts is to fold the back piece under the front piece along the side seams, creating a crease on each side. This still allows some blousing, but prevents a tent-like appearance.

I untuck my shirts enough that I can bend, twist, and breathe without tugging. There it is. I could also let this happen naturally, but I don't like the feel of a shirt tucked in tight enough that it feels like it is restricting my movement.

2 years ago, I had to blouse my shirts a little more than I do now. After working out, getting back into shape I can proudly say that at the young age of 47 years and 11 months old, I proudly wear all shirts tucked in with minimal blousing.

Frank

I've considered buying military-style shirt stays, so that probably answers the question. As little blousing as possible and I'm constantly retucking in throughout the day.

I am former military, and use the shirt stay. I have had the same ones i got in the Marine Corps when I was 18. After I am dressed, make the coffee,and brush my teeth, and drive to work, my shirt is right where it needs to be.

As a former Marine, I never want any blousing, but I have lost some weight, and as my pants drop, here comes the shirt! I want to drop another pant size, before I see the tailor for my suite and dress pants, and shop for new khakis and jeans.

I am former military, and use the shirt stay. I have had the same ones i got in the Marine Corps when I was 18. After I am dressed, make the coffee,and brush my teeth, and drive to work, my shirt is right where it needs to be.

Just curious which ones you use. Sounds like you have a good set to buy.

They are black elastic with a simple clasp in the middle for adjustment. I think most of them are pretty much the same. If you have a uniform shop in your area, that might be a great place to start. The trick is to connect the one on the front of your shirt BEHIND your leg on your sock and vice versa, otherwise when you stand up straight they make your pants look funny and pull super tight sitting.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...-pack-Black/?gclid=CIqPlsHk0bwCFQ-DfgodGUsA_Q

Those work well, but I like the Y style. They're more comfortable, but you trade a little bit of crispness. Think air force vs marines standards.

I use shirt stays and allow just the smallest bit of blousing. My shirt isn't perfectly tight, but it won't pull out either. The stays hold it so I have enough rolling over to cover maybe the top of my belt, but probably just the top of my pants, but not so much that it pulls loose when I move around.

Top Bottom