What's new

How did you learn how to Shave with a safety razor?

B&B is the best community out there but curious how folks learned to shave before finding B&B! Any interesting / fun / horror stories? :w00t:

Learn from family members when you were younger? Instruction manuals? Would love to hear it!

Trial and error.
I got my first safety razor around 2002-2003 and either there was no information online about how to properly shave with DE safety razors or I just never thought to look. My dad is/was one of those "shaving is a chore we have to endure" guys, so I never really got good shaving advice from him either.

So for me it was a "practice makes somewhat better" thing. I was always able to get a better shave with my Merkur than I had gotten from cartridge or electric razors but it was only until, curiously, when I discovered B&B last month that my shaves have been getting noticeably better to the point where I actually *enjoy* shaving.

So "cheers!" to B&B!

Practice and patience. None of my family or friends were using anything other than cartridge razors.

Trial and error.
I got my first safety razor around 2002-2003 and either there was no information online about how to properly shave with DE safety razors or I just never thought to look. My dad is/was one of those "shaving is a chore we have to endure" guys, so I never really got good shaving advice from him either.

So for me it was a "practice makes somewhat better" thing. I was always able to get a better shave with my Merkur than I had gotten from cartridge or electric razors but it was only until, curiously, when I discovered B&B last month that my shaves have been getting noticeably better to the point where I actually *enjoy* shaving.

So "cheers!" to B&B!

howd you know to turn to DE?

I used to shave with a Mach3 (2005). As a stupid teenager I used to shave without shaving gel or after a shower. I had tons of nicks, irritations and razorburns. Later the Fusion came out, and again as a stupid teenager I thought the Fusion has to be better. Because everything that's new IS better (stupid thought lol). The Fusion was horrible compared to the M3. I remember a discussion between me and a science teacher at school, he told me about his DE razor and how cheap it was. But instead of taking his advice I laughed about it because the Fusion looked much cooler than a DE razor. The Gillette carts dulled very quick, after 3 shaves I had to use a new cart so it became pretty expensive. My dad had also told me about DE shaving but I never thought a DE shave is PERFECT compared to a multi blade cart razor. Later he bought me a Trac II razor, I used it a couple times and I wasn't impressed at all. I have tried almost every way of shaving, hair clipper, beard trimmer, going to the barber. Later in 2012 I told my girlfriend (who is a barber) I hate shaving. She told me about DE razors, I hit the internet and found out that DE shaving is a hobby for many people around the globe.

So I got my gear. Since I already was a wet shaver I knew somethings to keep in mind like pressure etc. I done my first shave with a Merkur 34C HD, Derby blade, TOBS Jermyn Street and used Clubman Bay Rum AS. I was so amazed by this shave I immediately gave all the Fusion carts I had to my brother and bought even more products to test. At this moment I could call my self a big idiot for not taking the advice of the science teacher. Now I get perfect shaves with the Permasharp razor, I could really dream of this when I was a teenager.

I guess I have learned everything by my self, my father never asked me about how I shave. He used to be a DE shaver and Trac 2 shaver. The thing I used to hate the most in my life has become the thing I love in my life: DE shaving :)

Practice and patience. None of my family or friends were using anything other than cartridge razors.
+1

I started on my own too,then later I found B&B and things have been way easier since then. I always used creams and a brush though. I tried foam and gel of course, but never really liked it, so I was using mainly Palmolive tubes.

howd you know to turn to DE?

My wife got me one for a Christmas gift. Cartridge and electric razors would give me bad razor bumps and ingrown hairs and she went to a "specialty" store looking for a "cure" and the sales clerk recommended DE safety razors. A little skeptical, she did some research and came to the conclusion that the clerk was right. Went back and bought me a Merkur.

One of the best gifts she ever gave me.

Back around 1966 or so I decided to take a shot at it so I grabbed my dad's Hoffritz Slant and proceeded to slice myself up pretty severely. The worst part was there was no hiding it from the rest of the family or the other kids at school.
Later, under pop's careful tutelage and with one of his cast off 40's SS I learned the correct way.
BTW I still have the Hoffritz and the SS. The SS was pressed into daily service from the mid 60s to 1984 when an old retired barber I had befriended taught me how to use and care for straights. ( the case and blade dispenser for the Gillette are recent acquisitions).
$IMG_1471.jpg

I guess I missed the whole cartridge movement.

I started on my own. After 2 horrible shaves I searched the internet and found B&B. I now have much less money than I used to. I have enjoyed every second of it though.

It was either safety razors or electrics when I started shaving, probably around 1964. Never liked electrics. Can't remember what Gillette model for sure, but my first razor was a hand-me-down from my Dad. I do remember buying an adjustable Gillette that I used for years. Standard issue when I was in the service (1969 - 1971). Went to twin blades when they came out. Stuck with them for years up until about five years ago when the prices got stupid. Wife gave me a EJ DE for Christmas and I've been using it daily ever since. First with canned goo, then with a bowl & brush.

It was either safety razors or electrics when I started shaving, probably around 1964. Never liked electrics. Can't remember what Gillette model for sure, but my first razor was a hand-me-down from my Dad. I do remember buying an adjustable Gillette that I used for years. Standard issue when I was in the service (1969 - 1971). Went to twin blades when they came out. Stuck with them for years up until about five years ago when the prices got stupid. Wife gave me a EJ DE for Christmas and I've been using it daily ever since. First with canned goo, then with a bowl & brush.

Interesting. Wonder, was DE ever standard issue?

youtube.. Shavenation Geofatboy videos
+1. I then discovered mantic59. Both of those guys are great.

I would also say, as a former lifetime cartridge user, that the wonderful sensation of DE shaving made me actually LIKE shaving and LOOK FORWARD to shaving. So much so that I shaved a lot and paid attention to what I was doing. And you know what they say about practice!!!!

Youtube! Watched a bunch of shave nation vids starring Geo FATBOY.....boy does he make it look easy. Bought a razor and kept watching vids....then found this site.

Started shaving ,just the sideburns,chin and moustache,at age 14 in 1963.Got a few great lessons from my Uncle,and a few from my grandfather.I still have the 63 Gillette adjustable from those early learning sessions.

I learned from watching my father shave. Back in those days you had DE, SE, and injector razors only. I started with a SS and then went to a FB and Slim.

Top Bottom